DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2009 Rams... post your MODS!

275K views 374 replies 191 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 · (Edited)
Who all has done what to the 2009s? Please post! PIX if you gottem.
I'm interested in CAI's and headers if/when they're available.

I finally got around to doing my first mod 2 weekends ago. While on a weekend trip to visit the in-laws, I decided I needed something to do with my time so I stopped at a local truck accessory place and look what I found...

Direct bolt on. Took about 30 minutes to install. No drilling.
http://www.luvernetruck.com/Product_Line/Side_Entry_Steps/side_entry_steps.html

Attachments

See less See more
#260 ·
That is a very nice looking truck ^^^^ really like what you've done with yours Mad Max! :smileup:

- Cajun

#262 ·
Mine has 6" pro comp lift with 20" pro comp chrome alloys wrapped in 35x12.50 pro comp tires. Bull bar on front. Painted to match leer bed cap. Bed rug full carpeted bed. Running boards and a My ff sticker lol. Next plan is exhaust and tinted fronts. Sorry crappy cell phone pic. Mine is the red one

#269 ·
Warning warning will robinson, danger danger

Well I installed the K & N intake for my 2009 Ram 1500 and it is a POS! I will show some photos and all but as Monty Python said : Run away Run away. You don’t need this kind of stuff for the cost it is NOT WORTH IT.

I have a Crossfire and have done many designs to improve the rear wheel power to my last dyno of 354 HP. MY designs are being sold by another company and have a good following. Mostly the designs are a dual CAI, improved intake manifold after the supercharger, and intercooler upgrades.

I have been doing cars for decades and decided to go for the K & N on my 4.7 ram 1500 work truck. Well don’t make a mistake like I did and get the one that has the biggest name……….. I did 154900 miles on my favorite 2002 Dakota and had to put it up for sale due to mileage, don’t wanna do a transmission or engine. BTW the Dakota got 154K miles with the original Battery and Battery in the remote key FOB, just added belts and a power steering pump. OH and it had a shaker hood for a great sound and more power that was noticeable, again a 4.7 but with a CABLE CONTROLLED THROTTLE BODY. That was a sweet ride.

The Ram, well I put the CAI in today, and found out lots:
The instructions say the kit is for a “2002 – 10 Ram 1500”.

That’s not correct, the instructions did not know that the 2009 has no computer anchor bolt on the passenger fender, I had to guess and improvise at the mounting hole for the air box.

The inner fender is plastic and will not support the air box, wobbly and noisy so I had to make a bracket to hold it so that it would not flop around. Yuck. But wait it is worse……..

The instructions discuss up to the 2008 and there are many changes that you have to guess at and sort out. The 2009 is similar but not the one the instructions cover.

After putting it all together and getting it all installed in about 40 minutes, read the instructions first, I started it up and drove it for a check ride. All worked and seemed ok.

NOW, the reason for this is to improve the breathing and get more cold air into the motor for power and efficiency. This kit is not going to do it. The factory intake has a great cold air connection and a massive filter that looks efficient to me; just the resonator on top of the motor is the roadblock to the air. If I did it again, Id pull off the resonator and connect the factory air filter to the throttle body for almost no money.

The K & N DOES NOT GET COLD AIR AND IS NOWHERE NEAR THE FACTORY AIR INLET DUCT. Misses it by about 8” !!!!!!! The open top and fender side of the air box have gasketing material that do what??? The air sneaks in from all sides and is under hood temperature, not useful.

The air tube is shiny and looks good even if the LOGO K&N face up so you cant see it from the front of the truck,?. The air tube is only 3” and has a short runner adapter to connect to the larger opening of the throttle body. So the air goes in a tube that is less in diameter than the throttle body, why.

Can I say nothing good about the K&N??? Well yeah, this has a beat your chest hot damn 6.1 HEMI on steroids sounds above 3000 revs. OH Helll yess this sounds badd asss and will KILL YOUR MILAGE as you drive with your foot in it. You don’t notice the sound at 2000 at 3k it grows on you and at 3500 revs you think you’re in another dudes truck.

I will have to redesign this toad to get it to work properly, that is for later. Have to get other mods done first.

I hope to load the photos but still new to this forum. Enjoy Woody

·

Attachments

#273 ·
Lets see, so far: K & N drop in, 2" lift, Brighter front bulbs in all lights, Line X spray in, Roll N lock bed cover, 12V pwr outlets in ram boxes, chrome Fire ext. inside, vent visors, CB radio, torsion bar tail gate lift assist, custom pin stripeing on hood, aux trans filter, Coming Soon: front mounted receiver, slide out bed drawer, muffler, pre-runner light bar and off road lights, air intake, bed lights, deep trans and rear end pans, my gig system lock-pick....and who knows what else?

#274 ·
2009 black 1500 crew cab. no pics yet, but ill have a leveling kit installed tomorow and my 33 bridgestone all terrains finally put on. they've been waiting for about a month. but current mods are magnaflow 14" muffler, 20% tints all around, smoked out head and taillights with using nightshade. off road lights in the grille. i'll try and post some pictures in the near future.

#276 ·
2009 dodge ram mods

so far i've done a few mods including, daystar leveling kit, nightshade on head and tail light and also the third brake light. off road lights behind the grille. custom mounted fishing pole holder. tonneau bed cover. 14" mufflex exhaust system. 33" bridgestone dueler revo 2 all terrains. custom black painted stock alloy rims.

33" Dueler Revo 2 All Terrains on the stock 17" Allow rims.. I painted them black myself and added some red eyes to the rams in the center.

Just a view of the truck on my street. looks kinda low, but its got a leveling kit sitting on 33's.

Nightshade on the headlights, custom mounted fishing rod holders, and lights behind the grille.

Just a view from the back...

let me know what you think or if u have any questions about the mods.

#277 ·
so far i've done a few mods including, daystar leveling kit, nightshade on head and tail light and also the third brake light. off road lights behind the grille. custom mounted fishing pole holder. tonneau bed cover. 14" mufflex exhaust system. 33" bridgestone dueler revo 2 all terrains. custom black painted stock alloy rims.

33" Dueler Revo 2 All Terrains on the stock 17" Allow rims.. I painted them black myself and added some red eyes to the rams in the center.

Just a view of the truck on my street. looks kinda low, but its got a leveling kit sitting on 33's.

Nightshade on the headlights, custom mounted fishing rod holders, and lights behind the grille.

Just a view from the back...

let me know what you think or if u have any questions about the mods.
I have the same wheels as you jerkbait. what all did you do to paint them?

#285 · (Edited)
My '09 Ram

Well, she's mostly stock but I have a few mods in mind. Since these pics, she's been debadged and a Thrush Turbo muffler has installed. I just received my Superchips Flashpaq Tuner today and will do that in the morning. I have a Kurgo Wonder Dog hammock coming for when the pup goes for rides and AirRide bags for when I'm hauling or towing. I am looking into a BedRug and a billet grille, but those probably won't happen until after the Holidays. And, I am always looking for something to mod her with!!!

This is one of the reasons I bought the Ram, to haul my project toy. Of course, nothing BUT a Ram would do!!!

#290 ·
-Westin Chrome Nerfs, had 6000k HID's but blew a ballast this morning, so for the forseeable future I am back to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's... Mopar bedliner (is that a mod? LOL)...K&N Drop-in air filter...thats really about it unless you count tires, wiper blades, and things like that. I dont consider replacing tires with the same type/size a mod, nor wiper blades, even though rain-x latitudes are the Shiiat.:smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.