DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
There's a mountain of truth in that tiny statement.

Me, I'm picking a fresh pack of pencils and some 1500 grit today.
Try to find some Mequiar's Unigrit blocks. They work great. Make sure you use some type of backing plate for the sandpaper. Otherwise you will make noticeable depressions in your paint. In addition to the pencil eraser trick, I used a flat artists eraser with sand paper. I actually used finer grit than 1500 and took my time. To polish out wetsanding pick up some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It is much safer to use than any other brand. Finish up with a good wax. Oh, make sure that you soak the sandpaper or the blocks before using them. Use lots of water when sanding and check frequently.

Remember...good enough is good enough.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Popjim52 is on a distinguished road

I have been painting vehicles professionally for 30 years,we have a independently owned family bodyshop in the Baltimore County area,and some of you guys sound just as bad as a corvette owner!!!!
Anyway the defects you guys are looking at is some dirt or dust got between the coats of paint and like others have allready said this is a problem that surely any experienced skilled painter or detailer can take care of without having to refinish the panel on your truck.To have an entire truck repainted because of some dirt specs will be a greater evil than finding acceptance in having them level the specs!!!!! Your entire truck will come apart,bumpers dropped,lights out,emblems removed,handles out,mirrors off,moldings around glass out,tail lights out...and then they start the refinishing process.With that being said,if you think you wont wind up with a little overspray underneath your truck or possibly have paintlines in your jams,or more dirt specs or once the truck is put back together you hear new noises cause parts are missing a bolt or bracket, or moldings scratched,grilles damaged , ect.,ect.,ect.,
With this being said if the shop knows what they are doing 95% of the dirt in paint should be able to be taken care of by buffer,and if they cant do that correctly... well you really want to put your $40,000 truck in their hands to refinish??????
So once again....whats is the lesser of 2 evils here??????
Old 07-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Silver
Popjim52 is on a distinguished road

Also just so you know I have been all over my new truck also ,The paintjob is inferior as to what I myself could do,but I surely have no intention whatsoever to refinish a brand new truck...The defects in my silver truck is a few dirt specs here and there but mostly a lack of coverage and I can see trough the silver at spots and or the silver metalics being a bit mottley....
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:42
RayK is on a distinguished road

I agree with Popjim52.

A really good repaint is going to cost megabucks. I just don't see RAM going for a repaint that would satisfy you.

I would consider just trading the truck in on something where the finish is great.

RAM really needs to update the paint shop in Warren. You would think it's costing them an arm and leg to handle the complaints.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popjim52 View Post
Also just so you know I have been all over my new truck also ,The paintjob is inferior as to what I myself could do,but I surely have no intention whatsoever to refinish a brand new truck...The defects in my silver truck is a few dirt specs here and there but mostly a lack of coverage and I can see trough the silver at spots and or the silver metalics being a bit mottley....
Back in 2001, my Chevy 1500 was badly damaged by hail. It was black in color and I took it to high end bodyshop. Insurance company wasn't happy with me, but made a deal with the shop for discounted price. It was in the shop for a month, but came back looking perfect. The only issue I had when I picked up the truck was the half the truck that was repainted was perfect. There wasn't hardly any orange peel at all. That was a 14k fix to a month old truck when it was damaged.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayK View Post
I agree with Popjim52.

A really good repaint is going to cost megabucks. I just don't see RAM going for a repaint that would satisfy you.

I would consider just trading the truck in on something where the finish is great.

RAM really needs to update the paint shop in Warren. You would think it's costing them an arm and leg to handle the complaints.
I had to say this, Tundras and Tacomas almost always have a great finish.

I keep hoping that the the problem with the paint on Rams from the Warren assembly plant is resolved before I am ready to trade.

I was at the local Ram dealer a couple of days ago. The had a new black regular cab Sport which had been assembled in Mexico. . I could find no paint flaws. It is possible to get a RAm with good paint. Simply head south of the border.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram R/T
Trim Level: RT
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Cammin Hemi is on a distinguished road

I agree with the general sentiment here, don't do it! I've never had a body shop paint job I was happy with. No wait, I had one in my life and the owner of the shop was my best friend! That was a long time ago with single stage lacquer paint. I would find a good detailer in your area ( do a post on the autogeek.net forum ) and go that route first. Paint correction is an art form! Do your homework here as a lot of so called detail shops are just wash & wax make it shinny production operations. It will cost a few hundred, but it just may save you a lot of heartache and aggravation. I hope all works out well for you!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
It is possible to get a RAm with good paint. Simply head south of the border.
Back in the 70's I built a paint booth and painted two cars and learned a lot. I also learned I about died from the fumes. LOL.

My 2500 out of MEX has a great paint job. After reading all the complaints, I looked closely and couldn't find any real flaws.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: laramie longhorn
Color: black
Taffy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replys guys. Ive decided to live with the truck as is but the dealer is going to repaint the drivers door only,the door is in real rough shape with 6 large dust specs in clear coat. Hopefully the match is exact lol.

Cheers