DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Reason I bought a Ram

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  GuyGene 
#1 ·
Here is by far the main reason for me purchasing my 2013 Ram 1500 Sport CC 4x4. My dad use to own a 2008 Ram 1500 TRX4 QC 4x4 that I use to use and abuse. Because of me the truck had pretty much bald tires. But its thanks to it I can still function normally or am even alive. My dad now owns a 2012 Ram 1500 Sport CC 4x4

Almost 3 years ago, I was on my way home from work. I work midnights so I was up from 10pm the previous day (so 10+ hours) and had about 3-4 hours sleep with work, school and the girlfriend at the time. So needless to say I was pretty tire, drove for 8 hours at work and now a long boring straight road home (about 15min drive).

It was September so it was raining a lot around that time. Just so happened to be pouring rain that as I was on my way home from work. Tired and almost home. I found myself sitting at the lights about 3-4 kms from my house. It started to rain harder and harder to the point were i couldnt even see the wipers going anymore.
Something in my head and stomach told me to just put it in 4x4 but I said to myself ahhh forget it im almost home i'll be fine.
Not even 1km later the back tires break loose and the truck hydro planes across the road. I couldnt even see the wipers let alone on coming traffic. now im in the on coming lane heading for the shoulder. I hit the shoulder and tried to let it bite in the gravel and hit the gas and send it back towards the road.
But let me tell you, when i hit that wet grass. It was like hitting the Red arrow in Mario Cart racing because i picked up speed like you wouldnt believe.
I then looked forward at the big concrete culvert corner that the Ram was gonna hit head on. Said FORGET THAT, and forget it. Threw the back end of the truck in the ditch and just prayed not to role over.
I then it the culvert so hard i bounced off and hit it again. Turned the driver side door panel to jell-o.

I walked away from that with only a sore a back and hip.
If it wasnt for how safe these trucks are built now days i dont think i would have survived that car accident. Im so lucky i wasnt driving my 89 s10 at the time. i would be dead.

20' ditch, hit at about 100km/h (damn wet grass).

Needless to say the accident could have been avoided if i wasnt burning rubber all the time but the truck saved my life. For that hands down I will never have a problem buying a Ram.

I am not a fan of driving in the rain.

Pics:

Vid:

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/IMC_FuZiOn/media/VID-20110926-00004.mp4.html

after hospital

See less See more
Reactions: Grubrunner
#5 ·
yeah thanks, it sucks, but good learning experience. and it that isnt incentive to buy a Ram this might be
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149191

holy cow that was a close one. and coulda been way worse! glad u made out okay

thanks for sharing
yeah, its a nice reminder every time i go to Windsor because i have to drive by that, everyday. no prob. n thx.

Glad to hear your ok, head on to that block would of been brutal
yeah my side hurts every time i think about it. thanks, glad to be here

#3 ·
holy cow that was a close one. and coulda been way worse! glad u made out okay

thanks for sharing

#13 ·
Haha yeah he didn't care about the truck. Until I was ok the got the guilt trip lol
I was more worried about the truck n how to tell him lol
Some poor basterd out there is driving this truck. But I'm thankful for that truck :) . Wish I would have kept a piece as a souvenire

#15 ·
Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Sorry about the truck though. I hope to never have a story like that to tell. About a year ago I did a post about this guy in a smart car. He got out of his car, looked at me then my truck, shook his head and sneered at me. If he had an accident like you had who knows what would have happened to him. I'll take my Ram any day!

#16 ·
Thanks. Yeah i miss that truck, we have a special bond lol.
Yeah I hope no one else has stories like this to share, hate to see someone get hurt and a nice vehicle get wrecked in the process.

Yeah I would hate to see what would happen to a little car like that in a 20' ditch, a smart car would have probably went right into the opening in the culvert lol. but jokes a side, I wouldnt wanna be in a small vehicle in an accident, no thanks.

#18 ·
I also have faith in these trucks as well, and as you can see in my SIG I have lost one also. I got t boned on the rear passenger wheel by a car going roughly 60mph, no skid marks or anything from them. It spun around and put me and my GF on the passengers side. Not a window was broken and the door, IIRC, still opened. We were both okay, sore and she was bruised from the seatbelt. But okay.

I'm happy to see your okay!! Someone was watching over you as well!!

#21 ·
Whew, Feed, that was a ride! Ok now man, slow down! I you want to live to geezer hood like me. 100 km per hour (about 60 mph) is a bit fast in rain like that.

#22 · (Edited)
I bought my Ram (first one in my family) for a couple reasons, the first being the 2014 Tundra redesign for me fell on it's face. There was not enough awesome sauce to get me to pull the trigger, next is the more I looked at them driving down the road the better I liked them, Sam Elliott does the Commercials, and lastly the Longhorn edition is just so sexy inside :)

#25 ·
Yep, glad again you were okay!

And for that knucklehaid driving the so-called Smart car - hey, you knucklehaid!! My '06 Camry gets as good mpg as your Dumb Car - and, I don't have to use high test gasoline, can take it about anywhere to get worked on, blah, blah, blah. We have a friend with Mercedes - tried to get wheels aligned - nope, must take to Mercedes dealer. Oh me, that comment got me sidetracked! I'll take me truck EVERY day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.