DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:38
vonirkinshtine is on a distinguished road
Question aftermarket backup camera...filtering through the china junk

So...after my wife about backed THROUGH the garage in my truck (2005 1500 SLT 4x4), she agreed that a backup camera would be a wise investment. I would like the board's help in selecting the OEM-ist set-up.

-I've concluded that rear view cameras were never an option in the 3rd gens so I've ruled out a true "OEM" solution.

-What to do about the camera? I'm not sure I want to do the license plate frame camera. Those look tacky to me. I saw on a different forum a guy who installed a camera in the OEM tailgate spoiler. I think that looked clean as hell...however, my truck does not have one of those either.

-What to do about the monitor? The OEM 1.5 DIN head units don't allow for many options for in-dash screens. I'm seeing these on ebay and I wonder how well they would hold up?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indash-Radio...50dc6e&vxp=mtr
The other obvious choice is the rear-view mirror screen.

I'm torn between shopping from a reputable source like Crutchfield, or the gadget-palooza of ebay. But the price difference between Crutchfield and vendors on ebay is staggering! Is the ebay stuff "China crap"? I'm sure the stuff from Crutchfield is from China too. Hell, probably made by the same people that make the cheaper ebay stuff.

I did the "custom car" thing in college and I'm over it. Whatever I do for this install I want to look as OEM as possible and I want it to be permanent.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ya know, as I've been doing some more googling, I have found that the manufacturer of that radio I posted the link to is crap and that I should avoid like the plague.

So...essentially the in-dash monitor is now out of the question.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
zoomie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonirkinshtine View Post
So...after my wife about backed THROUGH the garage in my truck (2005 1500 SLT 4x4), she agreed that a backup camera would be a wise investment.
Maybe it would be cheaper to buy the wife a smaller, easier to manage car. (if you include the garage repair)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Maybe it would be cheaper to buy the wife a smaller, easier to manage car. (if you include the garage repair)
Well...we already have that car, but I drive it to work during the day because of the MPGs.

Besides, I want a camera too so I can hook up to my trailer quicker.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:22
Power247 is on a distinguished road

If you had a reason for a diagnostic monitor like the Edge Insight CTS you could monitor the trucks vitals when towing and it has an input for a backup camera. My current truck cam with the factory backup cam. I never had one before but now that I do I wont have another truck without it. I love being able to hook up to the TT with out having to get out of the truck a 1/2 dozen times to see if I am close enough to the hitch.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
zoomie is on a distinguished road

My double din stereo in my car has a camera input but I've never installed one. Do you think replacing the radio with a bigger screen is too much to add to this project?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
My double din stereo in my car has a camera input but I've never installed one. Do you think replacing the radio with a bigger screen is too much to add to this project?
I've seen guys who have done that on the 3rd generation Rams. It requires a little bit of dremmeling to make a double-DIN fit...but seems pretty straight forward. Converting to a double-DIN is certainly an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
If you had a reason for a diagnostic monitor like the Edge Insight CTS you could monitor the trucks vitals when towing and it has an input for a backup camera. My current truck cam with the factory backup cam. I never had one before but now that I do I wont have another truck without it. I love being able to hook up to the TT with out having to get out of the truck a 1/2 dozen times to see if I am close enough to the hitch.
I keep forgetting about those "OBD gauges". That would certainly be cool to have that capability. I think for the price I'd rather head down the path of a double-DIN conversion. That way I could have the capability to add DVD monitors in the rear headrests when my kiddo gets a bit older.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Brown Metallic / Tan
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:13
hhg is on a distinguished road

You can always get a BU camera and rear view mirror display kit (they are universal).. Some add on GPSs have a rear camera input.

A Chrysler RB1 nav unit is a direct fit for your truck but I am not sure if you can hook up a BU camera to it. Should be easy to find some info on the internet.

Quiet Professional
Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhg View Post
You can always get a BU camera and rear view mirror display kit (they are universal).. Some add on GPSs have a rear camera input.

A Chrysler RB1 nav unit is a direct fit for your truck but I am not sure if you can hook up a BU camera to it. Should be easy to find some info on the internet.
The rear-view mirror display is the way I'm leaning right now.

I thought about trying to hunt down an RB1 unit...but some googling hasn't turned up any promising results on adding a video input. There are people who have added video playback functionality to the RB1, but it is EXPENSIVE! Aftermarket would be much cheaper.

I really hate the way aftermarket single-DIN radios fit in our stupid ovals. It looks tacky. However, those oval-style radios didn't exist long enough to see additions like iPod connectivity and Bluetooth.