DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Lightning Bolt Light/ check Engine Light

130K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  elkdan 
#1 ·
So my wife had the truck the other day when she calls me at work and asks what the lightning bolt light next to the temp gauge was. I said i wasnt sure and asked why, she proceeds to tell me it came on along with the check engine light after a few attemps to start the truck and getting nothing. She said the first few times it didnt start at all as in didnt try. the next few attempts it had a hard time. It finally fired up and the two lights ended up going off before i got home. So based off of that does anyone knwo what that little lightning bolt is for and what would cause that? It has not come back on again and the truck is running fine.

Dustin

#2 ·
Can't copy the picture, but here's what the owner's manual says and it does show the "lightning bolt" in the picture.

12. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Light 5.7L
Engines Only
This light informs you of a problem with the
Electronic Throttle Control system. If a problem
is detected the light will come on while the
engine is running. If the light remains lit with
the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable,
however, see your dealer for service as soon as possible.
If the light is flashing when the engine is running,
immediate service is required and you may experience
reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine
stall and your vehicle may require towing. The light will
come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain
on briefly as a bulb check. If the light does not come on
during starting, have the system checked by an authorized
dealer.

#14 ·
Can't copy the picture, but here's what the owner's manual says and it does show the "lightning bolt" in the picture.

12. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Light 5.7L
Engines Only
This light informs you of a problem with the
Electronic Throttle Control system. If a problem
is detected the light will come on while the
engine is running. If the light remains lit with
the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable,
however, see your dealer for service as soon as possible.
If the light is flashing when the engine is running,
immediate service is required and you may experience
reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine
stall

how come there are so many of the same problems and you cannot give a direct answer of why this is happening.

#4 · (Edited)
If i walked out there and flashed the codes with the key would they come up or are these just stored codes that need an actual scanner to bring up?

EDIT: This truck doesnt allow me check the codes by turning the key like my 05 Neon does. It has yet to come back on but for good measure i will take it in and see what comes up. It lights up when starting like it says in the manual you posted but isnt on during idle and she said it didnt flash at her which is a good thing.

#5 ·
Easiest way is to swing by Autozone or the like and they'll read them for free and also have access to the info there on how to fix it.

#6 ·
I have a pocket OBD2 scanner and i also work for O'reilly auto. No DTC's were found when i plugged it in and the check engine light is not currently on. Is it safe to say its not a continous issue?

#7 ·
My earlier post says you should be okay.

#8 ·
I appreciate it! Had me nervous for a minute there.

#9 ·
It'll Happen Again

I have been having this same problem. It started out on a drive while pulling away from a red light. The truck became gutless and barely made it through the intersection. Once I stopped and restarted, it ran fine. Next it happened while cruising on the interstate. It started acting the same as the first incident. While driving, I put the transmission in neutral, shut down the engine and restarted. The engine ran fine after the re-start. Both times the fuel control light was blinking, but I didn't notice the DTC light.

The next incident happened when the truck didn't start at all. Didn't notice any lights as I was too pissed to think about it. Happened again a couple weeks later. With every incident there were no DTCs in the computer (I have a reader).

I have since found a friend at work with a 2005 Dodge Durango with the Hemi who is having the same problem. There must be someone out there that knows what this is. If anyone could post the solution I would be greatly appreciated.

#10 ·
You may have to take it to the dealer where they can pull codes that are not available to those of us with a scanner. I believe they call them 'deep codes'.
Having said that, I am sure someone with more knowledge on this will be by to give you some good tips. :smileup:

#11 ·
little red lighting bolt/discharge light

i have an 04 qcab & the red lighting bolt has come on since i bought it new. the dealer could never fix the problem or even get the truck to do it when they had it. mine does it when i turn left n right n left again getting in to parking lot 4 gas .then as i give it gas to take off lighting bolt comes on truck loses all engine power & i have to turn off key & restart. since new has done this nobody can fix mine cause they cant find any problem when i take it in/no codes. now i have 193000m & it started doing it with tow/haul on @ 65mph on freeway . i love my ram but its making me crazy lol.

#12 ·
i have an 04 qcab & the red lighting bolt has come on since i bought it new. the dealer could never fix the problem or even get the truck to do it when they had it. mine does it when i turn left n right n left again getting in to parking lot 4 gas .then as i give it gas to take off lighting bolt comes on truck loses all engine power & i have to turn off key & restart. since new has done this nobody can fix mine cause they cant find any problem when i take it in/no codes. now i have 193000m & it started doing it with tow/haul on @ 65mph on freeway . i love my ram but its making me crazy lol.
My 2003 was doing this the first dealer I took it to could not find a problem since it would not do it when they had it, took it to another dealer and described the problem to a mechanic there and he told me that these Gen 3 hemis the throttle position sensor has a glitch in it and Dodge could never get them to work right - he replaced it and I have not had a problem since been about 3yrs now

#13 ·
I had something similar happen to me last night. the lightening bolt came on and the check engine light came on...I had used the command start to start it...I put the key in the ignition turned it to 'on' and the lights didn't go out...so I took the key out put it back in and turned it to on all the lights went out, I put it in reverse and the check engine light came on and so did the lightening bolt. I shutt he truck off completely. restarted it, and it was fine after that...been ok since...well so far...

#15 ·
So this happened to me. Red bolt, check engine light and loss of power on highway. Pulled over and towed.

Local shop Codes reading said crank shaft sensor, possible PCD. Said they replaced sensors and couldn’t fix. Recommended dealer

Dealer said loss of compression and need to open up engines

Except this already Happened when I had - bad cam and lifter set which I replaced (wasn’t cheap) wtf

Now I’m taking it back to the shop so they can see what’s up...might’ve been there work?

This is the last time if not covered by the shop or is another damn issue.

Leaving ram and trucks all together smh

#16 ·
With all the fancy EVIC and Uconnect screens, why on earth do we have to take our vehicle somewhere to have fault codes read or spend another $100 on a diagnostic tool?

I recently had a mouse chew through a #2 injector wire. Of course, I'd have never figured out where to start looking if I hadn't limped to Advance Auto Parts, with a badly shimmying/shaking HEMI to get the P0302 and P0202 codes. With that info, I was able to narrow my search and find the damaged wire. Next day, I find out, that I took a chance of damaging a lifter by driving the truck with the injector not injecting. Had the truck towed to the dealer to do the repair (covered under my comprehensive insurance).

So all I got was a check engine light. No other messages. Certainly there are some issues that you can still drive with, and other's that you cannot. We can't have our truck towed to a a place to get the codes read every time the check engine light (or lightning bolt) comes on. For what I paid for this truck, not only should I get fault codes, I should get real-time KBB value, so I know how much value I'm losing for every mile I drive with the check engine light on.

#17 ·
The red lightning bolt came on about a month ago while I was driving on the hwy. I would press the gas pedal and it would hesitate, pull hard on and off. It got progressively worse. I made it to a gas station, shut it off and started up again with no issues for a week. The codes it threw were for throttle body, map sensor and tps. I removed the throttle body and map sensor or the heat sensor on the k&n intake tube. TB was gummed up with black carbon buildup around the opening and edges. I cleaned it with diesel fuel. I sprayed electrical connections and sensor with contact cleaner. So far so good. It’s an easy removal. 4-10mm bolts mounted top center at firewall. Took about 15 mins total. Careful with the plug for TB. Hope it works out for you

#19 ·
#20 ·
my lightning bolt light comes on , truck wont start engine turns over , but will start later in day & run perfect. replaced throttle control same thing, wont start just turns over , will start in freezing weather, wont start in morn but usually starts in afternoon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.