DODGE RAM FORUM banner

over drive when do ya'll take the truck out of o/d

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  RAMROD5 
#1 ·
In town i take it out of o/d..But when i get up past 45 i put it back in..Seems like the truck drives different in town with it on and seems like the mds kicks in more.we parts tru town that is 45mph.

#2 ·
You're going to want to keep it in O/D in town, keeps those RPM's down thus keeping up the MPG's. You generally should read the owners manuals to get the answers which is why they print them and include it with the truck, I wonder how many people buy a vehicle and total it and never read the damn manual! Anyway's take it out of O/D when you tow, if the truck seems unstable in O/D (keeps shifting in and out of O/D), if you're going up a steep hill for extended periods of time. One issue with driving out of O/D is risk heating up the engine much faster and sometimes if you drive with O/D off for an extended period of time you could risk overheating the engine. Anyway's just keep it in O/D except when you tow.

#4 ·
I'd leave it in OD unless the trans is "hunting" back and forth for the right gear. If that starts to happen just hit the tow/haul button and you should be fine. If you end up in the Rockies or some place where the inclines/declines are steep then you may want to manually select your gear.

#9 ·
im always in overdrive, unless im hauling something that has some weight to it, then i use tow haul mode, if im decending down a mountain ill take it out of overdrive mode, sometimes even put it in 2nd for the engine braking. up steep mountains ill drop it out of overdrive also if im empty.

#10 ·
Hello 08ram and I too take it out of O/D and run around town in 4th when speeds go no higher than 45mph. I get no higher than 1800rpms at 40-45 when running town errands which is an ideal range for me. I still do good with gas mileage (16.5mpg)doing this. Even with outside temps of 95' and humidity @ 100%, my coolant temps are still holding at 190-200 degrees according to the EVIC and just below half on my needle temp gauge. But to each his own. I just don't like luggin my motor around town.

#12 ·
I drive around town and under 45mph in 5th gear all the time. I have no complaints about my gas mileage and I don't have to lug the engine down or put up with the continued up and down shifting. And thanks for reminding me about reading the manual--your gentle reminder reminded me of why I got divorced. :att:
Jay

Reactions: RAMROD5
#15 · (Edited)
runs just fine......why wouldnt it? people seem to forget that there was a day before every 1 ton truck had to have a diesel to be a good work truck/ hauler... she moves well too, ask the kid in the brandy new 3 series beemer convertible who tried showing off with a couple chicks in the car over the weekend...

#16 ·
I never take my truck out of o/d. My stereo is so loud the MDS noise is the last thing I hear

I need to buy you a beer for that, thats the greatest thing Ive heard in a few days. I can only imagine the looks on their faces too :beerchug:

#19 ·
bone stock, it has a k&n drop in, almost 18k miles...if i could find and airaid modular intake tube used from someone id like to add that to the list, lots of cosmetics and chrome, but im not making it loud and throwing it on mudders like i did my 1500, i like the quietness and the MPGs

#22 ·
its not awesome, but its better than my 02 1500 with the 4.7. so its good to me! i get 10.6 in pure city driving around here to and from work in sometimes heavy traffic, i average about 16-17 on the highway at 65 mph with no load when i am traveling up to camp on the weekend, once i start hitting the mountains i drop to 12-14 (steep climbs) when i towed my 22 foot travel trailer up there i averaged about 13-14 mpg. my 4.7 got about 8-9 in the pure city driving, i saw as little as 4mpg on the 4.7 towing my camper up graphite mountain, and 13-18 on the highway depending on conditions, so this truck is about equal on the highway, but better in the city....and its much more capable except off road, which i dont do anymore minus seasonal roads and trails to my camp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.