DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Debadge Problem

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kjc63 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me. I debadged my 2009 Ram Sport today. It went ok until I took a look afterward. I can easily see where the badges were, almost like its a totally different color. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid it, or do I need to put the badges back on? I have tried polishing and waxing and even rubbing compound, none make any difference. Thanks.

#2 ·
i wouldnt know but it probably needs to just fade

#4 ·
:smileup:Sounds to me like you just have a little adhesive left on the surface. Just put a little Gasoline on a clean cloth & wipe over the area, maybe once or twice . Good luck & let us know how you go on......:smileup:

G
#6 ·
Some of the surrounding paint, that wasn't covered, probably faded a bit. The uncovered portion will eventually fade as well.

I had a bit of a different issue but a good cut & buff, with wax and polish afterward, fixed that.

#7 ·
either that or you seeing a wax build up, go get a wax and grease remover cloth from a automotive place like canadian tire or pep boys and wipe the are and then wipe dry with a clean lint free cloth then hit it with a sratch remover and then wax the area and it should make it less noticable.

#8 ·
Not sure if you got all the adhesive off. Did you use Goo Gone? It will take all the adhesive off. Then wash the truck and add some wax to that section.

It might be from your truck being Red. I know in the past when I've done silver I haven't had any problems.

#9 ·
I definitely got all the glue off, I used adhesive remover for decals (basically Goo Gone), and it is more than just outlines. The entire area that was under the badges looks like a different color, actually is more faded looking than the exposed paint. You can easily see the words RAM and HEMI now on the side of my truck. I will try to get some pics when the wife brings our camera back from her trip to NYC. Thanks for all the info, the only thing I can try is scratch remover, but I already tried polishing and waxing and that didn't make any difference. I am considering painting the decals black and putting them back on, although I prefer the de badged look.

#10 ·
You may want to try and claybar that area and then wax it again. I love the debadge look myself. I took the RAM off, but the hemi is coming of soon.

#11 ·
Can you feel an edge with your finger?? If it feels completely smooth, your probably gonna have to use some compound (maybe even wetsand) with a buffer to blend it in. Post some pics though if you can.

#12 ·
There is no edge to it, just smooth and different in color. I went ahead and painted my badges and re installed them rather than deal with all that. Thanks for the info.

#13 ·
Did you buy the truck new ? May have been repainted ? Even the dealership touches up new vehicles that may have been scratched or damaged in shipping.

#14 ·
It was sold to me as a new truck, if it was repainted, it was not disclosed to me.

#16 ·
I would say you had some fade going on. Worked out good that you were happy re-installing your badges. If not, I'd say it would take a good wet sand and buff job to blend in.

#17 ·
I am happy with the blacked out badges, It goes well with the rest of the truck I think. Thanks for all the info guys.

#18 ·
If the dealer repainted it they would've removed the badges and replaced them after painting.

Did you have the same shading issue with the rear badges? Those are the ones I've removed on mine already and the paint is perfect. (The reason I'm looking at "debedge" threads now is because I'm trying to decide to take the side badges off too)

#20 ·
I had no problem with the 4x4 badge on the tailgate. Most on here have not had my problem, so you should be ok. I used a hair dryer and fishing line, along with goo gone to remove mine. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.