DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dodge Ram Lift/Tire Setup Thread

753K views 789 replies 224 participants last post by  Stoneco 
#1 ·
Ok so here are the rules:

This is the place to post a pic of your truck with a lift or other than stock tires and wheels.

1) Two pictures per setup

2) Please list lift height/brand, wheel size/backspacing/brand, tire size/brand, any rubbing yes or no.

3) Pictures should be of your rig preferably from the side and on a level surface.

This will help people in choosing where they want their Ram's to be, and to avoid future "what will my truck look like with XX" of lift and XX" tires threads.

Leave questions and Comments for the talk section. If you need to comment or ask questions please PM, or reference the post number in this thread, in a separate thread.

Lets get this thread going and hopefully we can get the mods to sticky it for us!

#615 · (Edited)
Hey all, you have great looking trucks !
I just purchased a 2012 Ram 2500 5.7L 4x4 Crew/long box 3.73 gears. After reading through this whole thread it seems the average is at least a front end level and 35's. I'm not sure i want to go so big as i tow a 35ft travel trailer and don't want to greatly effect the trailers tow level and mess with my gearing. My older 1500 truck (3Gen) has 33s Toyo m/t's and -12's wheels with no lift, has worked well on that truck. I did like it's appearance too.

Keeping similar sizing, will 33's look to small on a 2500 ? If anybody can post pics of 33's/18's it would really help. 265/70/17's are whats stock on there now. Should i be concerned about the gear ratio using 35's ? i'm thinking yes as i will be pulling on some pretty good grades,but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

#616 ·
You would be fine with that setup. I dont think the Toyo M/T's will look too small. Probably look perfect. And that gear ratio with the level and tires will pull just fine!

A lot of us here (including myself) have a level and 35" M/T's with 3.55 gears. I can still spin my tires no problem, so with that little bit of extra gearing, you shouldn't have a problem hauling, especially if you stick with 33"

Hope that helps!

#618 ·
Then the question is....are you able and capable of trimming/modding your fenders to fit tires that 'poke out a lot'?
Biggest tire also coincides with what level height you do.

2" level, max safety and looks wise is 34"
2.5" level, you can do a 35"

Poke out a lot?
20x9, 0 offset = 1.5"
20x9, -12 offset = 2"
20x10, -12 offset = 2.5"
20x10, -24 offset = 2.5"
20x12, -44 offset = 4.5"

You can run any of the 20x9 to 20x10 depending on whether you want to trim/bend things in your fender to fit them

Have a look at WhiteKnights thread (I believe its linked in the initial posts)
He has 2.75" Bilsteins (possibly settled to 2.6-2.65) and has full size Toyo MT on 20x10, -24 rims.
You can see exactly what he did to fit it

#629 ·
I have recently installed a rough country 2.5" leveling kit on my 2012 2500 laramie and purchased the 18x9 RBP wheels with +10 mm and 5.5, but cannot decide on the tire to purchase. i don't want the tire to stick out to much and want it to fill the wheel well- i have been looking at the mickey thompson ATZ P3 35 12.5 18, any suggestions on tire fittment??

#630 ·
I would recommend Toyo AT2's over the Mickey Thompsons no question. They're a much better and quieter tire. A 35x12.5 is a great size to fill up the wheel well on a leveled 2500. That's the size I'd recommend. With those wheels they're barely be sticking out past your flare if any.

#633 ·
So i have been reading through this thread and i have a couple of questions. i am planning on getting a 6 inch zone lift with the 5 inch rear and bilstein 5100's set at 2.1 to level out the front. I was wondering whats the best size tire for that lift, i have 3.55 gears 5.7 hemi with the diablo and custom hemi tune. i want to run 37's because i am afraid of the 35's looking to small.. I had a 4 inch lift on my lat 07 ram with bilsteins all around and i felt like 35's fit that perfectly.. Is there really that much power loss with 37's? also how is gas mileage with both sizes of tires?

#635 ·
I would run the Bilsteins at 1.4" to level out the lift. 2.1" will make it look nose high without doing a rear spacer. With that size lift you can get away with 35's but they do look a little on the small side. I had that setup on my 1500 which can be seen HERE. You can definitely go with 37's as well though. With 3.55 gears you're definitely going to notice them but the truck will still be drivable and you'll get used to it.

#638 ·
Whats your set up? Nice looking ram.

A lot of that comes down to how you drive the truck and where the majority of your driving is. I would say the difference would be about 1 mpg max.
Thanks for you help man i appreciate it.

#645 ·
I just upload mine on tinypic and then paste the image code in my message haha.

#647 ·
looks really good man you dont even need 37's! Thanks for the pictures.

#654 · (Edited)
Finally got some pics.
-having issue will update tomorrow

#656 · (Edited)
OK I managed to get one pic on.

Attachments

#658 ·
I actually just finished the lift today. Even with the drop bracket I couldn't get the rear dead center. No one else seem to notice it but it drove me crazy so I got the Spohn adj panhard in and installed it at my friends shop and spent a little time adjusting it and measuring till it was where I wanted. Was a lot easier though sin i had already installed one on my Trans Am. The shipping place found and sent my center caps they lost so I have a spare sent now also.

#659 ·
looks great.

#660 ·
Hey guys. New to the forum today. I recently had an 08 ram 1500 with level kit and was running 305-55-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Helo 20" rims with +18 offset. There was very minor rubbing while turning on the upper control arm. Not enough to cause shredding of the inner sidewall tread of the tire. I traded yesterday for a 13 Ram 1500 and am curious if I install a leveling kit can fit my aftermarket rim/tire combo with minimal rubbing? I am sure this question or similar has been asked before but I didnt search the entire 66 pages. Any information from real world experience would be great! Thanks

#666 ·
You'll have the same issue with the rubbing on the upper A-arm. Possibly a little worse depending on how the truck was built. 1/4" wheel spacers will take care of that though.

Ok guys, I've read through a thousand posts trying to figure out the best route to take. I initially wanted to level my 2014 Tradesman with the readylift 2.5" front 1.5" rear until I found out about all the issues with the ball joints. Now I'm considering doing a 4" lift kit instead. Is there anyone running a 4" lift on their 2014? If so, is there a recommended brand to go with? Will I still need to replace the UCA's with a lift instead of a level? And finally, a dumb question, but I see a lot of guys running the 5100's with their lift kits. Is this a necessity or will the lift kit lift and level out my truck? Sorry if I sound arrogant, this is my first brand new truck and first time modding a truck from a clean slate.
You probably wouldn't have any issue with ball joints popping if you level. Very few do... If you want to go with a full 4" lift check out Zone Offroad or BDS. Both make quality lifts.
The Bilstein 5100's are added to level the lift fully. Most lift kits will get rid of a certain amount of rake but not all of it. The adjustability of the 5100's allows you to get rid of it fully.

#661 ·
Ok guys, I've read through a thousand posts trying to figure out the best route to take. I initially wanted to level my 2014 Tradesman with the readylift 2.5" front 1.5" rear until I found out about all the issues with the ball joints. Now I'm considering doing a 4" lift kit instead. Is there anyone running a 4" lift on their 2014? If so, is there a recommended brand to go with? Will I still need to replace the UCA's with a lift instead of a level? And finally, a dumb question, but I see a lot of guys running the 5100's with their lift kits. Is this a necessity or will the lift kit lift and level out my truck? Sorry if I sound arrogant, this is my first brand new truck and first time modding a truck from a clean slate.

#664 ·
Nice truck. I had the duratracs on my 13 and wanted another set the same size as yours for my lifted 14 but they were a little more cash than I had left when I was done.

#668 ·
Ok guys so here it is guys. I have a 2012 Ram Limited 4x4 and I wanna run a set of fuel mavericks 22x10 with a -24 offset and 5" back spacing on toyo m/t 37x13.5x22. Can I run these with only installing the BDS 6" coil over suspension with the fox shocks or will I have to add a body lift as well? Because I would like to stay away from a body lift. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.