DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dodge Ram Lift/Tire Setup Thread

753K views 789 replies 224 participants last post by  Stoneco 
#1 ·
Ok so here are the rules:

This is the place to post a pic of your truck with a lift or other than stock tires and wheels.

1) Two pictures per setup

2) Please list lift height/brand, wheel size/backspacing/brand, tire size/brand, any rubbing yes or no.

3) Pictures should be of your rig preferably from the side and on a level surface.

This will help people in choosing where they want their Ram's to be, and to avoid future "what will my truck look like with XX" of lift and XX" tires threads.

Leave questions and Comments for the talk section. If you need to comment or ask questions please PM, or reference the post number in this thread, in a separate thread.

Lets get this thread going and hopefully we can get the mods to sticky it for us!

#301 ·
Hey guys I have a question for ya, I am planing to get the RCX 6" lift on my 09 ram and I'm not sure if 37s would look stuffed. I also want to get the bilstein 5100 to even it out. Would I be better off with the 35s over 37s? and would I need any coil spacers to make the truck look more level? I don't haul much if anything in the bed so I want it to look almost completely level.

#304 ·
Yes. It is a 6" RCX on Bilsteins at 2.1"

The 2.8" looks good, but the angles are just to high and others have commented on a rough ride. 1.4" is honestly the best setting but the 37s become squeezed there imo. So I ran it at 2.1" and couldnt be happier.

Glad you like it, thanks :smileup:

#306 ·
I have the kicker bars. I do not have a spacer.. So I have a slight cali lean. But I knew i'd get an ironbull bumper which will bring my front down about .5" causing it be level again.

1.4" setting is usually perfectly level
2.1" setting usually requires .75" rear spacer to be level
2.8" setting I think would be 1.5" rear spacer to be level

#308 ·
Purpose of Kicker bars is supposedly to keep the front end from moving and being pushed back when hitting a ditch bump etc. I think they are more for looks (hard to see). But I got them to be on the safe side honestly. If you hit a bumper hard enough the bolt will shear anyways

#309 ·
Oh, I thought it was for either looks or keeping stability or something lol. I might get them down the road but for now they won't be in the budget. I'm in college and the only reason I can afford the lift wheels and tires is tax returns and because I work at fedex (pays 1500 a year if you go to college). I am envious of most the trucks I see on here, Yours and fastnugly are two I see alot and drool lol.

#310 ·
Ya I graduate from college in May. Luckily for me I have had a full time career for almost 5 years working for Ram LLC.

But ya, Fast's truck is nice. He constantly is giving me new ideas which clears out my wallet.. Every check has disappeared.. Candy08 is just as bad. But at least they give me good information and advice.

#313 ·
Ya its all good advice. I started with just wanting to do a 6" on 35s.... Then ended up with:
8" on 37s
Custom painted S&B
Magnaflow
Retro Headlights
IronBull Bumper
Tail lights
Winch
Custom Painted Interior
and more....

all of this is hoping to be done soon too..

#318 ·
Go Ahead!
Go Ahead!

There you go..... :LOL:

If you are hesitant, do with 20x10 -12 offset.
Honestly, on a truck that is leveled....too wide is sometimes not too good.

There is also another member on another forum (quietpeen) who is running 20x10, -24 rockstars but on 33x12.5 tires and isnt rubbing.
He is leveled too and it looks pretty badass

#330 ·
I am planning on doing the same once my ordered 2013 comes in...post some photos up if you don't mind once done.

Also - from what I have seen MOST of the manuf of the 2" leveling kits say you can run a 35" tire fine...so I would think with the Bilstein 5100 setup at 2.1" you would also be ok with a 35.

The BFG AT is a great tire, the 285/65/20 is 11.5" wide so *might* not need a wheel spacer or offset wheel - should be able to just put em on stock 20x9s and go. Which is why I am considering them...wider than stock but not too wide to where I need a spacer. Height according to the BFG site is 34.7" - so thinking the stocker is 33" tall, makes this one 1.7" taller so .85" closer to the fender...again should be ok under 2" - not sure what the height difference is but my 07 has only 2" level and have had 35s on it for 5 years. A TRUE 35" tire (Toyo MT 35x12.50) rubbed pretty bad near lock on both sides and also the side wall would rub in the rear when turning onto an incline and truck flexed a bit even with 1/4" wheel spacers on the stock 20s. BUT since then I have ran 2 sets of Toyo ATs that are 34.5" tall and love them! Full lock with some compression may get a LITTLE rub but no big deal. But these DO need 1/4" wheel spacers or I think -12 offset wheel to fit.

#332 · (Edited)
If any of you have had true death wobble, the 4wd vibration is NOT death wobble.

Death wobble is when the truck hits a bump, etc and the whole front end shakes VIOLENTLY. You lose control of the steering wheel and must pull over to regain control. Death wobble is known to happen on SFA not IFS. I had it in my 03 2500. I have never heard of the death wobble in an IFS and honestly don't know how it'd be possible.

So for those concerned, the 4wd vibration is not death wobble by any means. However, it will wear out your front end quicker. Changing any of the angles whether it be with a leveling kit, lift kit, etc will of course put more strain and wear on the front end components. Pay to play.

It might be possible to have death wobble on IFS, I guess... But I have never seen or heard of it.

I ran 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2 on my 06 Mega Cab 1500 on a 2.5" level and had minor rubbing at full lock on incline. It is important to note that the 1500 Mega Cab has SFA and sat a tad bit higher. :smileup:

G
#336 ·
If any of you have had true death wobble, the 4wd vibration is NOT death wobble.

Death wobble is when the truck hits a bump, etc and the whole front end shakes VIOLENTLY. You lose control of the steering wheel and must pull over to regain control. Death wobble is known to happen on SFA not IFS. I had it in my 03 2500. I have never heard of the death wobble in an IFS and honestly don't know how it'd be possible.

So for those concerned, the 4wd vibration is not death wobble by any means. However, it will wear out your front end quicker. Changing any of the angles whether it be with a leveling kit, lift kit, etc will of course put more strain and wear on the front end components. Pay to play.

It might be possible to have death wobble on IFS, I guess... But I have never seen or heard of it.

I ran 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2 on my 06 Mega Cab 1500 on a 2.5" level and had minor rubbing at full lock on incline. It is important to note that the 1500 Mega Cab has SFA and sat a tad bit higher. :smileup:
^^ this is why i didnt use the term "death wobble"

i had true death wobble when i did a Solid axle conversion on my 90' chev, i did not recover from it and ended up losing the truck...

Fast

i feel like i have caused a complete s**t storm on this thread so ill just keep my confusion between our PMs haha

#334 ·
Appreciate it man. Its been bugging me seeing it all over the forum. After experiencing it myself and working for Chrysler I have seen and studied it from one side to another. Just don't want people getting all nervous they'll get death wobble from a 2" level on an IFS... Just trying to enlighten :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.