DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Finally Installed...First Impression.

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeTheDope 
#1 ·
So, after having my S&B CAI now for about 3 weeks, it is finally installed. As mentioned in many posts before it is very easy to do, and even with pretty much 0 experience in working with anything under the hood it took me about an hour and a half.

To further fuel the debate with the CAI subject, are they worth it do they improve performance?...Here is my take on it...

First impression, it is damn good looking. Start up, no change from stock sound. In "park" driveway rev... nothing really noticeable to be perfectly honest, maybe a slight woosh when you step on it but the rev limiter I'm sure hindered its sound.

Road test...the first thing I noticed was a much deeper sound all around. I have read that it doesn't change the exhaust sound from the rear of the truck, but it adds a sound to the front. I have a flowmaster 40 on and to my ears it indeed changed the exhaust sound. Not louder, but deeper, more throaty if you will. When the RPM's got up the exhaust sound didn't increase its pitch so much as it did before. It got louder but also stayed deeper.

When I stepped on it during the road test, thats when I did hear that noticeable intake sound everyone talks about, and yes it is awesome sounding. Also, my MPG has improved, no not by leaps and bounds, but I can say this, I have been driving heavy footed for 2 days now and my MPG has increased about .25 mpg from before the CAI install when I was driving normally. I can only assume when I start being more gentile on the pedal i'll see maybe a gal increase.

Lastly, the "butt dyno" as I have heard it referred to here. I think there is a slight increase in throttle response. And the only reason why I say this hesitantly is because I am very aware of the placebo affect and wanting it to make a difference so much you almost believe that is has when it really hasn't. The reason I do think it made a slight difference is, the 2 people that rode with me at separate times after the install commented on it, and I had not mentioned it nor asked them to tell me if it felt improved or not. It was something they picked up on as I drove.

Overall, the reason why I bought this was for the sound and the look. If any improvements came of it well that is just a nice little extra to have but not something I was counting on. Is it worth it? If you have the extra cash, are limited to what you can do so you do not void any warranties, yes, IMO it is worth it. I love it. Anyway just thought I would share...

Cheers.

See less See more
#4 ·
I ask because it seems anybody who has installed S&B barely ever say if they did the scoop or not. Iknow it's a seperate price. I think some if not most bypass it or assuming anyways. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the Volant.

#5 ·
This is the first I am hearing of this, mine was a complete kit and I did not have the option to purchase it without the scoop. :4-dontknow:

I can see how you can install it without using it but I don't know why you would. If there is a legitimate reason I am by all means all ears.

#8 ·
I would say your "butt dyno" is right on. I've added cold air intakes to 4 of my own vehicles over the years and definitely experienced better throttle response.

I also agree with the change in exhaust tone. My MegaCab had a Magnaflow SI/DO muffler on it and with the addition of the AFE intake the tone definitely changed. Had the same thing happen when I added an LMI AirHammer to my 300CSRT8 with a true dual Magnaflow system.

I think yer spot on. Thanks for the write up and observations!

#9 ·
I have had my S&B intake on my truck since it left the dealership 1.5 yrs ago and have had great experience with it and when I ordered it it to came with the bottom snorkel all in one package. **Tip** If you don't care bout it sucking the warmer air under the hood pull off your plexiglass cover over your filter and take it for a ride and you will hear a whole different sound much louder. Overall a great product!

#11 · (Edited)
Had a 'scoop' on a Volant CAI in Chebby once. It lined up with an open area in the front bumper,,,,

Picked up all kinds of sand and what not that got kicked up/blown off the road. =(

In the rain, it 'washed' the oil right out from a spot on the filter, too,,,=(

Didn't like carrying a rag around with me to stuff in the scoop when it started to rain,,, =(

Kinda pizzed me off as I paid and extra Ben for the snorkel,,, =(

Ended up taking the scoop off, and eventually, the Volant,,,

Hope the SB system is better.

#15 · (Edited)
Just so we are on the same page, the scoop we are referring too is the piece that shoots down from the short side of the air box about 16"? I'm thinking no, and the snorkel is a different piece than what I am thinking about. There were no optional pieces offered to me where I bought mine.

#25 ·
I also don't buy the theory of increased mpg. I do agree that fuel blends may have changed, but it's not your CAI. It goes against the whole design.... more air/colder air = more fuel to system thus increasing performance.

Also, this has been hashed out in several in-depth threads with really smart "big bang" type dudes. You can't make more air go into the system... it's not a 1970 HEMI Cuda. Everything is controlled by computer including the volume of air that makes it into the system. All you can assist iN is the TEMP at which that air enters the ststem.... just my .02 from what I've picked up on from other threads.

#26 ·
I understand all of these legitimate points. I am not arguing any of them. My post was originally to just give my first impressions of a new add on to my truck. It was not to disprove all the facts about what CAI's do or don't do. As I said in my original post this was for looks and sound. If any there were any performance enhancements then that would be a good too but not something I was counting on. This is an everyday work vehicle and I am not planning on racing it, but I do enjoy the loud sound of the hemi.

Perhaps if they sold cards to fit in the spokes of the wheels it would of been a cheaper alternative and one I might of considered. I have an after market exhaust and IMO the 2 compliment each other well.

#28 ·
First impression, it is damn good looking.
That, alone, is a good enough reason for Cost.
For which, Trophy Wife's, everywhere, are eternally Thankful.

Dave

#30 ·
Lol, I agree.

I think they do look/sound nice. (But, I do get weary of the sound)

S + B has a much nicer look than many others, IMHO.

The scoop they have is more or less open on the underneath side, where as the scoop opening on the Volant faced forward,,, Anything in it's path went straight up the tube and blasted the filter,, =(
Ahhh... I understand. And, the sound has not yet gotten to the point of being irritating. I never deal in absolutes so I will not say that it absolutely never will. However, I will say that I enjoy it so much that I rather listen to its sound than listen to the amazing radio the truck has. :smileup:

#29 ·
I think they do look/sound nice. (But, I do get weary of the sound)

S + B has a much nicer look than many others, IMHO.

The scoop they have is more or less open on the underneath side, where as the scoop opening on the Volant faced forward,,, Anything in it's path went straight up the tube and blasted the filter,, =(

#31 ·
I just installed one as well a couple of days ago. Did you install the plug they offer with the kit? Suppose to prevent more warm air from getting sucked in i believe but they leave it a option to install it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.