DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission has slight shift delay???

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  boostjunkie1 
#1 ·
I currently have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 2WD, and the transmission has a delay when shifting (automatic). apparently I need to have the transmission serviced. What type of service is associated with the given symptom, or does it require replacing the transmission? Also, either way, what would I expect to pay for such service?

I was told that more than likely it may be front pump wear and to try dropping the trans pan, installing a new filter, and reassemble. Then flush the transmission with ATF+4 trans fluid and add 1 qts of Lucas Transmission additive, in place of 1 qt of trans fluid, and this may expand the life of the transmission. Is this a common practice for this symptom? and if so, how much life do I expect out of the trans?
I was hoping I could get about 15K-20K more miles on this transmission, without serious work needed.(I have 185K on the truck now)

Also, are there common methods in doing self diagnosis on a transmission? I dont shift my truck into different gears while driving, but I was told to test for delay while driving. Its an automatic, so I never do that. How can I run a full diagnostic or check it out myself without having to take it to a transmission shop?

Any input or ideas is greatly appreciated!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
bad switch

Rooke,i had a similiar prob recently with my 07.Turned out to be a switch inside the transmission and it had to be replaced by dropping the pan and then of course new fluid was added when buttoned back up.Lucky enough mine was under warranty,so i can't give ya any ideal of cost outside of maybe 1.5hr shop labor.Good luck with the fix.

G
#4 ·
I am by no means a dodge mechanic, but the guy I bought my truck from said that the tranny was acting funny. Ended up being the alternator, it wasnt making enough power for the computer and the computer wasnt giving a good signal to the tranny. Just one more thing to check. Hope this helps. Oldschooler

G
#5 ·
Mine does the same thing from first to second when cold but after it warms up, no problem.

When I turn on Overdrive and it shifts, it seems to slip as the RPMs go up but it isn't going any faster, then it goes into OD. About a 500 - 700 RPM rise. I'm not sure this is normal or if I have a problem!

#6 ·
Leaking TQ Converter....... When you say hesitating, is that when you are driving down the road or when you go from Neutral to Drive??? A Simple Flush will improve the shifting, but if the TQ Conv is heading south then you will need to replace it. Is the Trans Fluid Brown???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.