DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission won't shift

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
I recently had the transmission in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L rebuilt. As far as I know everything except the Shift Solenoid(s)(I don't know if there is one or multiple solenoids) was replaced. I had it reinstalled at a different place than the transmission shop that rebuilt it. The transmission shop said it required 10 qts of transmission fluid. So my mechanic put 10 qts in and, nothing, the transmission didn't engage, he called the shop, they researched it gave the correct amount of fluids and it seemed to be working fine. I drove it for roughly 60 miles and parked it. The next morning I start it and the check engine light instantly comes on and it won't shift. I drove it to the mechanic manually shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. Pulled the codes, It gave P0700 Transmission Control Malfunction, codes for Incorrect Gear Ratios of 1,2, and 3, and a low voltage code. Since we already knew the battery was going bad, we replaced it, reset the codes and drove it. It started out fine, no codes, shifted from 1st to 2nd on its own then stopped shifting. Pulled the codes again, it gave P0700 Transmission Control Malfunction, codes for Incorrect Gear Ratios of 1,2, and 3. At this point, I can put it into Drive, and it won't shift, I can also put it into 1 or 2 and shifting between the two of them, there is no difference in RPM's. I'm guessing when I put it into 1 or 2 it really is in 2 only, because Drive runs at a higher RPM. Checked the transmission fluid, it's full, maybe even a little over full.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.