DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Just ordered Arrington Big Valve Heads

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  RamTex 
#1 ·
Still not sure on what cam i should get going to call arrington again and see what they say. They said there was only one cam available from them and they said that having VVT makes that cam work well with forced induction.

#2 · (Edited)
yeah big valve heads! the VVT cam specs that Arrington's lists on their website are incorrect. I called after getting my cam and asked wtf and they said that the website needs updating. Here they are if you want to talk to your tuner or use them to compare to the Inertia cams.

the attachment kinda sucks but if you right click on it and select "open in new window" you'll be able to zoom in.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Hey Gabe what is the name and info on that tuner you suggested a while back cause im def gonna need a tune fairly soon like sometime this month... Yeah im thinking the spartan cam cause it has the most lift duration...

#10 ·
Heads should be here in about a week and a half or so, my TC came in this past week, push rods are in transit cam is also on its way i got the Spartan Eagle.

#12 ·
looking foward to --

see the out come ramtex. same parts i was thinking about. speed

#13 ·
My heads came in yesturday still waiting on pushrods and cam.

#16 ·
My friends, and my car club buddies are gonna help plus all you guys cause i dont have the cash to get it all installed... Its gonna be a job thats for sure. Im trying to draw up a plan of attack but im gonna need all the help i can get. I plan on doing the torque converter first then the rest. I would be nice if a had a breakdown of what i need as far as tools and a list of steps on how to pull the tranny and install the TC then a list of steps for the rest of the install cause if it were just me i would be winging it... which would not be a good thing. Any help on this would very appriciated.

#17 ·
Here are the procedures for trans removal:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Raise and support the vehicle
3. Remove any necessary skid plates
4. Mark propeller shaft and axle companion flanges for assembly alignment.
5. Remove the rear propeller shaft
6. Remove the front propeller shaft, if necessary.
7. Remove the engine (1) to transmission (3) structural dust cover (2).
8. Remove the exhaust support bracket from the rear of the transmission.
9. Disconnect and lower or remove any necessary exhaust components.
10. Remove the starter motor.
11. Rotate crankshaft in clockwise direction until converter bolts are accessible. Then remove bolts one at a time. Rotate crankshaft with socket wrench on dampener bolt.
12. Disengage the output speed sensor connector from the output speed sensor
13. Disengage the input speed sensor connector from the input speed sensor
14. Disengage the transmission solenoid/TRS assembly connector from the transmission solenoid/TRS assembly
15. Disengage the line pressure sensor connector from the line pressure sensor
16. Disconnect gearshift cable (1) from transmission manual valve lever
17. Disconnect the transmission vent hose from the transmission.
18. Support rear of engine with safety stand or jack.
19. Raise transmission slightly with service jack to relieve load on crossmember and supports.
20. Remove bolts securing rear support and cushion to transmission and crossmember.
21. Remove transfer case, if necessary.
22. Disconnect transmission fluid cooler lines at transmission fittings and clips.

NOTE: When disconnecting the transmission oil cooler lines, it is necessary to replace the line clip that is located on the oil pan stud. The retention force of the clip is severely degraded upon removal.

23. Remove all remaining converter housing bolts.
24. Carefully work transmission and torque converter assembly rearward off engine block dowels.
25. Hold torque converter in place during transmission removal.
26. Lower transmission (2) and remove assembly from under the vehicle.
27. To remove torque converter, carefully slide torque converter out of the transmission

Here are the steps for tc removal:

1. Remove transmission and torque converter from vehicle.
2. Place a suitable drain pan under the converter housing end of the transmission.

CAUTION: Verify that transmission is secure on the lifting device or work surface, the center of gravity of the transmission will shift when the torque converter is removed creating an unstable condition. The torque converter is a heavy unit. Use caution when separating the torque converter from the transmission.

3. Pull the torque converter forward until the center hub clears the oil pump seal.
4. Separate the torque converter from the transmission.

I'm sure there are some shortcuts but this is a copy and past from the Dodge Service Manual.

#18 ·
yeh i was expecting it to be that much of a pain but hey such is life i may just see if i can get an install for cheap... It even sounds a bit dangerous i like having all of my fingers...

#20 ·
Looks like install for the TC will be around $500 to $700 that sound s about right does this check with you guys? Yeh im gonna chat with my buddies and see how confident they are on getting it done ill get it done one way or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.