DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Saving money with brokers on SHIPPING

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  WUG 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok...so I know a lot of us on here order stuff from the states and well...we've all been there before when you make an order for $30.00 and get hit with a $50.00 broker fee. I was going to do a nice write up and explain the whole how to self clear so that the courier cannot charge you brokerage fees but instead I found one that has already been done and thus will post the link. I could write it up, but this guy did a better job then I could so it makes more sense to have you read HIS write up lol.

http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clear-shipment-cbsa-avoid-ups-brokerage-fee/

Read the comments on there as well, it gives you an idea of the fight ahead (for the first time).

Now, the info on here is a bit old, but the vast majority of it holds true...I think the value part now has gone up, if anybody needs to I can look into it.

Also, I'm going to give you another link, this should be a big help..if you can print it and bring it with you, quote the hell out of it when dealing with both CBSA and your courrier.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d17/d17-4-0-eng.pdf

For self clearing paragraph 56 is of vast importance.

Good luck! :smileup:

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys....brokers can actually cost you way too much when dealing with places like UPS...this is a good way to be able to use UPS without it costing a small fortune!

If anybody has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer, I've done it before so I can help as best I can!

#5 ·
For those of you out in Eastern Ontario, there's a UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY that will accept any shipment for you. Only caveat is that you have to cross the border to pick it up (need your passport/enhanced D/L).

There are a few advantages to it:
- Shipping in the US is usually free
- you don't pay brokerage fees
- there is always someone to accept your delivery
- you can have items that are not shipped to Canada delivered to a US address

and a few disadvantages:
- You have to cross the border to go get it (but who doesn't mind a road trip anyway!?!?)
- you MAY have to pay duty at customs (80% of the time, I've been waived through just telling them up front what I'm bringing in. They are familiar with that UPS location)
- your road trip may cost more than your brokerage fees in gas (but it an excuse for a road trip, so who cares right!!!) :)

I've used this place many, many times without problems. I even ordered tires from tirerack.com...tires up here were close to $300 each, got them on sale for $99 each at tirerack, and even with duty (GST at the time, about 20 bucks), and 30 bucks in fuel to go there and back from Ottawa, I still saved over $700 bucks!!! :)

Here's their website:

http://www.trackogdensburg.com/

D

#6 ·
For those of you out in Eastern Ontario, there's a UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY that will accept any shipment for you. Only caveat is that you have to cross the border to pick it up (need your passport/enhanced D/L).

There are a few advantages to it:
- Shipping in the US is usually free
- you don't pay brokerage fees
- there is always someone to accept your delivery
- you can have items that are not shipped to Canada delivered to a US address

and a few disadvantages:
- You have to cross the border to go get it (but who doesn't mind a road trip anyway!?!?)
- you MAY have to pay duty at customs (80% of the time, I've been waived through just telling them up front what I'm bringing in. They are familiar with that UPS location)
- your road trip may cost more than your brokerage fees in gas (but it an excuse for a road trip, so who cares right!!!) :)

I've used this place many, many times without problems. I even ordered tires from tirerack.com...tires up here were close to $300 each, got them on sale for $99 each at tirerack, and even with duty (GST at the time, about 20 bucks), and 30 bucks in fuel to go there and back from Ottawa, I still saved over $700 bucks!!! :)

Here's their website:

http://www.trackogdensburg.com/

D
Ya doing a quick run across the border is always an option, personally I don't mind paying the shipping for most things....it's just when the tack on the brokerage fee that things start getting ridiculous. That's when it's easy to just self clear, pay only the shipping and forget the brokerage fees!
$700 savings is worth the trip for sure!

#7 ·
For those of you going to Ogdensburg, another alternative is this place;

corp-ctr.com

Brokers? Duty?

There is no duty on American made parts ( Mexico, US, Canada ), therefor no need for brokers if you are picking it up yourself.

I did once have to pay duty on a set of Yokohamas, because they are made in Japan. Otherwise, all they collect is the HST on your goods.

Dead simple.

#8 ·
For those of you going to Ogdensburg, another alternative is this place;

corp-ctr.com

Brokers? Duty?

There is no duty on American made parts ( Mexico, US, Canada ), therefor no need for brokers if you are picking it up yourself.

I did once have to pay duty on a set of Yokohamas, because they are made in Japan. Otherwise, all they collect is the HST on your goods.

Dead simple.
NAFTA is one of the many treaties that exempt duty, but as you said not tax (tax amounts depend upon province that you reside in, and where your entering Canada by). Brokers help/assit with the importation of goods for a fee (doesn't matter if it's something that can be duty chargeable or not), often times now when ordering stuff online a lot of courier companies "broker" the goods on your behalf without asking then charge you for it...this thread is about avoiding the charge for people who can't make it to the border to pick up their goods.

Good link with corp-ctr.com! Lots of towns/cities on the american side have similar setups across the country, which is great if you live within reasonable driving distance!

#9 ·
Remember this is applicable to low value goods under $1600. It's true about NAFTA and the made in North America deal except the goods valued at over the 1600 have to have a certificate proving its NAFTA status. I/e a "made in USA" sticker won't cut it. So basically even if its made in USA does not guarantee it's duty free.

Also commercial goods is a whole other deal. You need a import/export business number, etc... That is why most people broker items.

You don't have to use a broker so long as you get the correct forms, and have a business number with the import/export suffix and such. 6 or so forms completed properly its a hassle no doubt, (currently doing it).
On road, off road, stuff like that changes forms and amount of paperwork

#10 ·
great information, thanks alot!!!

I hope you dont mind, Im going to copy and paste the link to the Ogdensburg, NY place in my thread for cross border shipping.
Thanks again! will rep when i can!

#11 ·
Shipping with CP/USPS no brokerage

If the website you deal with offers shipping via USPS/Canada Post and your not in a crazy hurry choose that option to avoid brokerage fees altogether. All they will charge you is provincial tax/HST/duty if the item is valued over a certain dollar amount (used to be $20). No brokerage fees added at all through postal service. At least there wasn't a year or two ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.