DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How Long Before MPGs Improve

4K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  wester399 
#1 ·
I know that it takes a few miles in order for the truck to be broken in and you start seeing an improvement in fuel mileage. But how long, how many miles, I am at 3,000 now and I am averaging 13.5 with mainly hwy driving. Should I expect to see an improvement of any sort?

#4 ·
:smileup: I have always heard...i say that loosely that it takes approx. 5000 miles to break in a motor/drivetrain. This is in reference from some mechanics i knew at a old place of work. Even a rebuilt engine so they say. Iam suprised that your only getting that ...especially with the M.D.S?

#8 ·
I have almost 5000 miles on mine. I was originally getting 18-20 highway and 14-16 in town. Now I'm getting a combined (but mostly in town) ~ 10-12 mpg. I'm hoping it is due to the winter, both the cold and they fuel mix.

#9 ·
YES the cold and the fuel mixture will give poor MPG's.... Also most people with some miles on there trucks started off with no E10 GAS. E10 is 10% Ethanol and it robs about 3 to 4 MPG from my truck. I was getting 19.2 on the highway at 70 mph and now I see around 14.5 to 15 mpg :smiledown:..... I have learned the sweet spot for my truck and that is at 67 MPH. The truck will stay in MDS longer and I can eek out a little better MPG's......

#11 ·
I drive consistantly at 65 on the interstate and at some times exceeding 70, but very seldom. I keep it on cruise when I get out of the city. In town I just gently give it the gas, the truck appears to have "learned" my style because it isn't sluggish, but takes off nice and slow and smooth. I give it the go on occasion when need be, but I am not a fast driver on most days.

I have a 4x4 and 3.92s, thought that might be it. I am using 87 with 10% Ethanol. To be honest, I was and am expecting better than 13.5, I don't know what could causing it. I am thinking of mods that can be done to help with it, but I have a light pocket book thanks to Christmas.

I don't have any idiot light that tells me when I am running in MDS mode or not and I don't have a real time mpg read out, I do it all by hand, and that's what I have been coming up with.

#18 · (Edited)
I averaged 17.4 on my first highway 'tank'. >1000 miles on truck. No hills,,, (FLAT) Houston to Beaumont and back.

The MDS hardly ever flashed on,,, Computer leveled out at 17.1 mpg @ 70 MPH running on all 8.

'Oddly' enough, the mileage increased once I got back into Houston and ran into slower traffic on the beltway,,, computer went back to high 17's,,,

As the vehicle breaks in, the MDS is staying on longer at higher speeds.

My 09 has a rather 'subtle' "Fuel Saver" prompt in the EVIC display. Not obnoxious at all. It really does help one 'tailor' there driving habits.

Curious as to how my newly added Tonneau cover will affect mileage. I noticed last night by watching the shape of the cover that there is a 'significant' amount of air downflow right before the tailgate. If the tailgate is 'catching' the wind, a cover may help. Only time will tell

#19 ·
hi, with my 4.7 i have noticed a bid change in the change of mpg's when i am using gas from nebraska (e10) compared to (e10) here in oklahoma...with ok gas i average 17.3 and with nebraska gas i get abour 20 all highway and speeds of 75+ as the average. the biggest difference i have noticed is where i get my fuel. i do run e10. maybe try switching where you fuel up. i hope it improves for you

#22 ·
Sitting in traffic, stopping at lights, here in Seattle I go down to the lower 10;s mpg.On the highway driving at just below 70 I creep up to the lower 18's. Driving around town Seattle with slight inclines, lights, junctions the MDS is jumping in and out within a few yds as the engine is getting older it seams to do it more frequently. 5600 MLS on the clock. Could this constant quick changing from 4 to 8, 8 to 4 doing any long term damage to the engine? if so I might have to drive with a heavier foot. I have a 2009 5.7 3.92 Laramie.

#24 ·
Hilly terrain, head winds, MDS use, lots of passing/traffic to deal with will all affect your MPG.

#25 ·
i have the 2009 ram 2 X 4, 5.7 litre, with the 3.55 differential, 20 inch wheels, 15,000 miles on it, on the highway i always use the cruise control, best highway mileage yet was 15.7 per gallon of mid grade gas & that was with my sign removed from the truck

#27 · (Edited)
OMG, today i had to drive from san diego out to Calexico CA, just for the heck of it, i check my average MPG in several locations, at one point i got 25.7 MPG, BUT, it was a downhill grade, 9 miles long, at a 6% decline, at 65 MPH using cruise control,
this is the top of the hill
http://www.aaroads.com/california/images008/i-008_eb_exit_076_07.jpg

that hill drops from 4,400 feet, down to below sea level in the desert

i'm going to top off my gas tank today, to see how many gallons of gas that i used overall

#29 ·
I think that if you guys are going to post MPGs, you should really do it the old fashioned way and do it by miles out of a tank instead of the EVIC.

Remember that if you idle your truck to warm it up it in the mornings or before your trip it will drop your MPGs. MPGs on the EVIC is an average and idling does count. Haven't you guys noticed that when you stop at a light, you see the MPGs drop little by little on the EVIC?

Air conditioner/heater, hills, traffic, tolls hence slowing and speeding, stops, all affect your MPGs.

Sooooo, maybe some of these guys are not full of crap after all. Just saying.

#30 · (Edited)
MPG has gone up finally, i just turned 15,000 miles on my odometer & yesterday i took a 260 miles trip & when i filled up today, i filled the tank again, put in 13.3 gallons
i drove over a small mountain range, the Laguna Mountains, between san diego & el centro Ca. there are 3 places where the highway goes up to 4,000 elevation, & the desert floor is at or below sea level, going down the last hill into the desert, its a 6% grade for 9 miles, a quick check while going down that grade showed my average mpg 25.8 MPG, but, the mid 18 mpg was the readout most of the trip
260 miles by 13.3 gallons = 19.5 MPG if i did the math right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.