DODGE RAM FORUM banner

catalytic converter

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
Is it illegale to remove the catalytic converter from a truck in the state of FL?

#6 ·
You wouldn't gain any fuel economy, at least not anything noticeable. Many people remove them for performance, but even then they are only worth a few hp at most. Today's converters flow pretty good, and I'd guess that on a diesel it'd make even less of a difference than on a gasser as diesels spin lower rpm's so the exhaust velocity would be lower. No proof here of that but just a guess. You'd likely get engine lights as well, although I'm not familiar with the diesel systems, I'm sure they monitor the converters like the gasser systems do, and you can make simulators that trick the computer to thinking the cat is still there and avoid the engine light, but IMO it's a bunch of effort to gain basically nothing, then possibly have issues with it later on.

The only time I find it reasonable to remove a converter is if it's clogged and causing issues. I don't like running without a converter, it is extremely bad for the environment and having one barely makes a difference in performance or mpg, but I had issues at high mileage with the one on my s10 so I did remove it. I wasn't willing to spend $700 on a new one for a truck worth $2,000.

#9 ·
but so are all mods to exhaust in the state of fl...but that dosent stop any one
?... all mods are not illegal. You have to have a cat in every state I'm sure. Any other exhaust mod should be trouble free from the law. Even loud mufflers, although technically illegal, you never get in trouble for them. Yeah, you can get away with no cat, but shouldn't, it is really not worth it, they are very helpful and like said hardly effect performance nowadays, and without them you also get a terrible rotten egg smell.

#11 ·
it is really not worth it, they are very helpful and like said hardly effect performance nowadays, and without them you also get a terrible rotten egg smell.
I don't know about a rotten egg smell with the new diesels, that would be hydrogen sulphide, H2S, and when H2S is burned it forms sulphur dioxide. It's less of an issue now with the ultra low sulphur diesel. The palladium in the cat does split the SO2 molecule and there's minor recombination with the water molecules to reform H2S, but it's minimal.

#10 ·
Catalytic converters are a FEDERAL mandated emissions requirement. As such, it's illegal to remove them in ANY state, but like so many have said, people do it regardless. The performance is negligable, and unless you delete the rear O2 sensors, you will throw codes and actually decrease your MPGs as the computer is forced to compensate for the saturated exhaust gasses.

On a diesel, once you start increasing the boost levels past the stock max, you can basically throw the cats out as they do not have enough time to really do much, not to mention the fact that extreme EGTs can cause severe issues with cats followed by your turbo melting down. If you are running a chip on the highest setting and have upgraded your injectors, your cats will clog up in no time and you'll be forced to chop them out anyways.

#12 ·
I don't know about a rotten egg smell with the new diesels, that would be hydrogen sulphide, H2S, and when H2S is burned it forms sulphur dioxide. It's less of an issue now with the ultra low sulphur diesel. The palladium in the cat does split the SO2 molecule and there's minor recombination with the water molecules to reform H2S, but it's minimal.
sorry you're right, I wasn't thinking diesel...

#14 ·
the state of Florida says any modification to exhaust systems is illegal, any exhaust that is louder than stock is PC for a stop.....will you get pulled over for it most likely not but get the wrong cop on a bad night you just might get stopped.
I've never been pulled over for my exhausts, they are always loud. I can't think of a time a friend has been either and theirs are even louder. Never even is it mentioned after getting pulled over for some other violation. Just my experiences, FL is very lenient with exhausts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.