DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tailgate anti-theft

856 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DonT 
#1 ·
There has been a huge increase in tailgate thefts in my area. The crooks are taking time to remove the hose clamps and other devises used to secure tailgates. My solution is to lock the tailgate to the bed using a steel cable and a padlock.
The cable is looped thru two holes in the internal structural rib. Then the cable ends are passed thru a hole (where the camera wires pass thru) and into a hole in the bed. I used a large padlock behind the bumper to secure the ends. I used 3/16 coated cable, about 32 inches long loop to loop. The guy at the hardware store crimped the end loops for free – got lucky:smileup:. You’ll need to remove the cover on the tailgate to access the rib. I used a bent coat hanger, string and tape to fish the cable thru the tailgate. Took about 15 minutes. To remove the Tailgate just remove the padlock.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Great idea! hopefully the thief will notice the cable before he pulls the tailgate off. If he gets it off he will just drop it when the cable is pulled tight. Then you will have a damaged tailgate. Does your tailgate have the factory lock on it? I wonder how the thieves defeat those without damaging the tailgate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.