DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Fuel pump questions

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  brookstroutr 
#1 ·
Had my Truck out last night and it worked fine, this morning she cranks over fine but would not start. So I did some tests.
  1. Checked coil
  2. Removed spark plug wire and installed calibrated spark test tool
  3. Removed 2 spark plug:Total dry
  4. Removed gas filler cap,cycled key and could not hear fuel pump
So I am guessing at this point the pump is gone. My question is 2 part, is there a test port in the fuel line for pressure, and is there a direct wire connection that you can run a jumper wire to the battery to see if the pump spins up as some gmc's have?
I need a manual for this truck any good ones you guy's suggest?
I would be greatful to hear your input. dnld​

#3 ·
Thanks Warlock III
I had my wife crank it over earlier and I whacked the tank with no luck, tested the relay as well, really thinking it's the fuel pump. I priced one, and depending on which tank she has one it was $335 to $345 here in Nova Scotia.Oh well....

#5 ·
before you go replacing the pump, make sure to check that your auto shutdown relay is functioning correctly, run a fused hot to the fuel pump and see if it comes on. im having electrical problems with mine that i originally thought was the fuel pump.

#6 ·
Fuel pump acting funny

Ok so I hope someone can help me! My fuel pump works fine when i first turn the key i hear the "hum" and fuel pump works, truck starts and gets me to my destination... BUT... After I sit weather idling or turned off the fuel pump stops working. When i turn key no more hum and it wont start unless I wait 30 minutes sometimes longer and it works fine again. I replaced fuel pump with a new one and its still doing it. Connections at fuel pump are snug. What could this be? I know its gotta be electrical but I have no idea where to start.

#7 ·
I had the same problem with my '99 5.9L last summer. Just check how big your tank is and get the correct pump. We unplugged the connectors to the pump and used a jack to lower the fuel tank to the ground. Once you get the tank lowered, it's a matter of removing the old pump, putting in the new pump, and raising the tank back up and reconnecting it. It shouldn't take too long with a couple of people.

#9 ·
good job, i replaced my fuel pump this past summer, because i was having the same problems, if you would have put the gas pedal all the way down, while cranking, it probably would have started. problem with mine was that it started if you put the 'pedal to the metal" but once you let go of the pedal, the truck shut off. so basically, i woulda been driving like a mad man, and shutting down every time i stopped at a light or stop sign haha

#10 ·
I need some help with what I think is a fuel pump problem. I just picked up this '99 5.9l Ram that sat for a year. It started ok and I got it home but no start. Spark is good there. I'm not YET familiar with this truck and I'm trying to figure out how to jump power to the fuel pump (I did bang on the tank). No noise from the pump with the key on and I am getting power to the 'Fuel System Relay' in the fusebox under the hood. All other fuses checked fine.

I cannot find the wire leads to the fuel pump w/o sliding the bed or dropping the tank which I want to avoid until I clean up the rusting bolts later.

Any ideas on how to 'hotwire' the pump to test it???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.