DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Thinking of selling my truck. Thoughts?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  sdram03 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am hoping for some input on a thought I've been having for a while.

I love my Ram. I really do. It's nothing special, but it's mine. It's a 2004 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with 135,000 miles and has the factory off-road package. I finally got it looking just about the way I want it to and added my 20"s, tinted my windows, put my dual exhaust on with a Flowmaster Super 44 to make it sound like I want it to.

I am very happy with my truck, but I just can't get over wanting a lifted truck. I had thought about saving up for a lift kit and wheels and tires, though I personally think it's a bad idea putting it on a truck with 135,000 miles on the clock. I also just can't justify the expense. I'd love to lift mine, but just don't think it's a good idea. I've put more money than I planned into the truck already, and am not sure if I want to dump more into it.

My question for you guys after reading this is, should I sell it and look around for an already lifted truck? And would it be a bad idea to lift mine and do wheels and tires with the mileage and cost?

Any advice is appreciated. I was looking at lifted trucks on the West Coast, and honestly can't figure out why I didn't buy one from out there. The costs are so cheap compared to what I payed for mine.

Here's the truck I've been drooling over. Wish I could make mine look like this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2226694802.html

Anyways, any advice is appreciated as always. I'm torn.

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Its hard to say really, I mean its your truck and your money. The guy in that craigslist add is crazy if he thinks hes gonna get 10k for that truck but hey its a free country. you can always lift this truck and when you go to sell it.... buy a newer model int he same generation say a 2008, swap the stock parts onto you 2004 and put the lift on the 08.

#3 ·
I don't know what the general consensus is on the Hemi motor, as far as mileage goes, but to me 135,000 miles does not seem like that many, if you have been taking good care of the engine. Personally, I'd keep the truck. The price of new trucks is INSANE right now.
Scott

#5 ·
The real question is, why do you think 135k miles is a lot? If the truck has been well maintained, why not lift it. You could go out and buy a newer low mileage truck that was abused, and find yourself worse off.
:iagree: ................. :iagree:

#6 ·
I'm with these guys. 135k really isn't that bad with some routine maintenance. You may be looking at some small stuff going out soon, like hubs, but that's a pretty easy fix. The motor can run a long time if well cared for. I think if you still like the truck, it's not just an old truck to ya, lift this one. Like they said, you can always take it off and put it on a newer one of the same gen. I got a 05, bought it with 85k and plan to run her dead, which will be a long time off I bet.

#8 ·
I seriously love this damn forum :smileup:

Thank you all for the great replies and for the opinions. As to why I think 135K is a lot, I don't know. I'll be honest and say I wasn't sure how long these engines last since this is my first Ram. I have a few friends with same generation Rams who laugh at me due to my miles. They literally thought I was crazy to spend the money I did on a truck with 130,000K. Most of theirs have under 110K, given that's only about 4 or 5 people.

I definitely cannot afford to lift the truck myself after researching prices on lifts and that. Holy cow! Absolutely am in love with lifted Rams, but the prices to make it that are insane. Can I ask why the guy selling that one in the link won't get 10K? I thought that was a steal for 100K miles! Guess I'm just out of the game :shy2:

Thanks again for everyones replies. I wish there was a way I could gain about an inch or two of height on my truck and keep on my stock 20"s and tires and not have it look dumb!

Thanks again,
Chris

#10 ·
Personal choice for me would be to lift your current truck.

To my way of thinking if it's a job I'm capable of doing myself then I know it's going to be done exactly as I want. As nice it may seem to be able to buy a premodded truck or premodded anything, there is a lot of satisfaction being able to step back and say "I did that".

#13 ·
Personal choice for me would be to lift your current truck.

To my way of thinking if it's a job I'm capable of doing myself then I know it's going to be done exactly as I want. As nice it may seem to be able to buy a premodded truck or premodded anything, there is a lot of satisfaction being able to step back and say "I did that".
+1,000. mileage is only an issue if you are intending to trade/sell down the road. if you intend to keep it, then it doesn't matter what the mileage is. i bought a Honda Accord for $500 as a Daily beater (gas prices) back when i had my 03 QC, and it had 201k. didn't run, but $70 later, on the road for another 22k when i had to sell it because i was moving. if i didn't have to sell it, i would probably be still driving the pi$$ outta it. my current truck has 103k and i don't intend to sell it (cold still happen if i get a great paying job, but probably not) and hope to keep it til the doors fall off. wife may have other thoughts on that subject, but when it comes down to finances.... fix a tranny $2k-3k or have $400-500+ a month payments for 5-6 years. hmmm... looks like an easy decision to me

personally, if i was in your position, keep it, save up for a lift, get it installed, stand back, and be EXTREMELY happy cause it's YOURS!!!!

#11 ·
The reason the CL guy wont get $10K is because the KBB price for that truck is around $5K. Wayyyyy over priced. I saw that truck the other day and chuckled. Like I have said before, these folks on CL think their trucks are worth a mint and they are not. For $10K you can get a newer truck in better shape and fewer miles.

#12 ·
i would never but a lifted truck unless it a dealership lift on a brand new truck. if its been lifted there is a good chance it has been bagged in mud holes. if you have the truck the way you liek it i say lift or level it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.