DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Frozen catchcan!!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Gdoubt 
#1 ·
I noticed a strong gas smell in the cab of my truck and when i finally decided to open the hood i found the cab side of the catchcan hose leaking at both ends.
upon further inspection the catchcan was full of water and froze solid. I have emptied the ice and dried it out but...

Why would it produce so much water all of a sudden never had more than a dribble in summer months?
What possible damage have i done to my truck?
Do I leave it to happen again or can i reroute it for winter or...?

Thanks in advance for any advice

#4 ·
Something does not seem right.

It has been -30 off and on for the last month,no water,and no frozen anything from the catch can.
I have never seen water in my catch can???

#5 ·
Something is wrong if the can is full of water. Like said, some condensation can form in the engine and be caught in the can, but if it was full, it got in some other way.

You should not have done any damage. There may have been some excess pressure in the crankcase, but it really won't hurt. Absolute worst case is you would have blown a gasket somewhere and will have a slow oil leak. But most of the new engines us o ringed gaskets at just about every seam so they hold up well.

I'd bypass the CC in cold weather, if you are experiencing issues with water somehow leaking in to the can(maybe it's running down the hose and leaking in some how).

#7 ·
You can take the hoses that go to the catch can and connect them together for winter months. This will be just like it was stock.

Driving short distances promotes condensation in the crankcase.

What do you mean you haven't plugged it in? Plugged what in?

#8 ·
Lol he hasn't plugged the truck in...or the engine block heater.

If your driving such short distances I'd recommend plugging it in if you can just to give it a chance to get somewhere near operating temps. Yes that extremely short drive is why your CC froze...your engine is never getting warm so it's promoting condensation.

#9 ·
Lol he hasn't plugged the truck in...or the engine block heater.

If your driving such short distances I'd recommend plugging it in if you can just to give it a chance to get somewhere near operating temps. Yes that extremely short drive is why your CC froze...your engine is never getting warm so it's promoting condensation.
"heater", "frozen"...

What do these words mean??? :4-dontknow:

:LOL: :gy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.