DODGE RAM FORUM banner

how much juice...

694 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Whiplash 
#1 ·
to trip a relay?

i just got my blue sea fuse block that i'm basically using for switch power. Just wanna make sure i can use 18ga (bundled, color coded) for easy wire runs. This will run to switches (from OTRATTW) which will be used to trigger relays (30 or 40a depending on requirements) powered straight from battery to lights etc.
Am i good with 18ga wire and say 5a fuses? or will i be pushing more current that will require larger wire/higher fusing

thanx!!

#3 ·
the power and ground from battery to block is 8ga...
i'll be tapping off directly at the tie-in points for my ham radio (otherwise i'd just be running 14 :D ), everything else will run thru the block

thanx Kindanocturnal

#4 ·
If you are only using the 18ga wire to trip the relay through terminals 85 and 86 on the relay, from the switch, you will be good to go. The 5 amp fuse will be enough to also have a lighted switch.

Larger gauge wire and fuses are needed to power your accessory using terminals 30, 87, and 87A depending on how you wire the relay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupmb2U-shk

Greg

#5 ·
thanx Greg. Yes, i'll be using minimum 14 from the relay to acc, or thicker if the instructions call for it :) I think i have a 500' roll of 12 somewhere in the garage :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.