DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Does this sound fair to you???!? Bilstein 5100 shocks

5K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  gonefishin776 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so you all have prolly heard of the bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks, the shop ordered them for me and said they were a little over 300 for the shocks ALONE. i said great so how much to install them, he said it would be about 700. Does this sound like a fair price to you, it seems a little high to me. :i_rolleyes:

how much did you get for shocks installed for?

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about the overpriced Bilsteins bud. I ordered mine through Amazon for 206 bucks for both front 5100 adjustables with free shipping. Heres the bad news; I get it installed for free cuz I do it myself and then drive it over to my trust worthy wheel alignment shop for 70 bucks. Man some shops are just down right crooks I tell ya! If I was up your way, I'd make a house call for ya and install them all for just a couple of Jack n Cokes! But, I'm not man, sorry......

#8 ·
Agree with the ripoff comments. You can buy the fronts for a little more than $200 from multiple vendors, just do a google search. Installation at a competent shop should cost you no more than 2 hours labor or about $200. Add alignment cost of about $75 and you get ~ $500 total. Any more than that and you are being screwed.

#9 ·
Got my front one's installed with an alignment for $400. Did the backs myself.

#11 ·
if you supplied parts front struts and rear shocks installed and alignment right around 380 but im ct. did them on my own truck. my front lower strut bolts where frozen into the sleeve. so it took me about 3 to do front and rears on my 06 and alignment was free since i'm head tech where i work. did it after hours

#14 ·
DON'T DO IT BRO! SHE AINT WORTH IT! BRO!!!! NOO BRO! SHE GOT THE HERPS!!!!

Drunk friend- "NAAA BACK THE F' UP HOMIE! I GOT THIS BRO! SHE'S CLEAN!"

*Three months later*
What did I tell you bro? Look what happened... Not to mention she stole 700 dollars out of your wallet before she left...

Sober friend- "YOU DO YOU, AND I'll DO ME!"

Is the situation that is playing in my mind at the moment :LOL:

#19 ·
Can someone post the part # for the 5100 adjustable shocks? I was going to order them from Amazon but they don't say adjustable here is the part # they have 24-187367 is this the correct # for 2012 4x4 front adjustable?

#21 ·
i am going to be ordering mine and installing them myself for under 200 i got them through Jay's Custom Trucks in missouri here in the town i live in, he is just a one person shop and works on trucks in his spare time but can get parts at wholesale my exact total delivered(to his shop with me picking them up) was $198.17 if i was to have jay install them it would be 398.17

#23 ·
Well went to get my shocks installed tonight, ended up not doing it... after took the wheel off started to remove shock and seen how we would have to take half the front end off decided it would take to long? Thought it would be a 2-3 hour job from what I've read on here? but looks more like a 4 hour job??? It looks like will have to remove upper control arm axle nut brake caliper etc.... Man that's crazy what you have to do just to take a shock off!!! Now not even sure I'm going to do it. Way to much trouble, unless there is a easier way (trick) to getting the shock off that I can't figure out? Can somebody help me out with some instructions? Much thanks in advance!

#26 ·
Dear Lord you people are getting priced gouged like a son of a b!tch!

Local shop installed both front and rears (5100 adjustable) for $271 and that included an alignment. Wow!

#31 ·
I've always been a leveling man so these Bilstein 5100's that many speak of here are very new to me.

Just wondering: if you're trying to sit your front level with your rear-end [4TH Gen OEM 4X4] why do you need the adjustable Bilstein 5100's for BOTH the front AND rear?

Wouldn't a front pair [only] adjusted to 2.5" be suffice to sit your ride dead level.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance....

#33 ·
Hi Grubrunner, hopefully I can answer.

I installed the Rough Country Lift+Level kit that is 2.5" front 1.75" rear. This lifts the truck and levels at the same time. I liked the look of the truck but it seemed the front was still a tad bit lower than the rear (obviously so you can put heavy things in the bed and not look like its dragging.)

A guy at my work but a RAM at the same time and put the Bilstein level shocks on the front and thats all. Leveled the truck with the rear but it looked small to me. My dad has a Big Horn that he just bought and sagged too much when his camper was attached. I gave him my from lift spacers and installed the AirLift 1000 kit on the rear. His truck is completely leveld with this kit and I installed the Bilsteins on the front of mine maxed out and kept the rear lift installed. I'm by far liking the lift/level more.

#34 ·
I think I'll go ahead and get the 5100's installed, read a while back the if you set them at 2.75 you may or may not get a wobble? So instead of taking a chance with that will setting them at 2.5 eliminate that wobble chance all together? Also is there anybody in my area with experience installing these?

#35 ·
I installed mine a couple weekends on my on 2007. Simple in concept except a lot of my bolts and all were seized up and had to replace the bushings. Your 2012 hopefully won't have that problem. I don't think I can post the link for it on here cuz it's another forum but do a google search for a bilstein pic heavy install, it was perfect. I am novice when it comes to vehicles but i did it myself, if you have even the slightest bit mechanical skills you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a spring compressor and personally I don't know how I would have done it without a set of through sockets (for removing the shock from the spring and putting the new one in) I set mine at max, no wobble, but I also haven't tried 4x4 which is where most get it...but that's on dry pavement on acceleration...who does that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.