DODGE RAM FORUM banner

E-Locker/LSD for 2012 1500

12K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Garc 
#1 ·
Holy crap I am loving my ram, a little over 20K on her now, but winter has finally hit in full force and this 1 wheel peeler is showing its weakness.

I have not gotten stuck yet, but I would like to avoid it.

I have stated it before and I will again, I am not very mechanically inclined or really have any history working on vehicles, so I have no idea if this is possible.

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is an LSD out there that locks as well. I would love to get this open diff replaced with an LSD that I can manually Lock.

To add to this;

Is locking even needed if its a good LSD?
Will any changes need to be done to the computer by the dealership?

Thanks!

#5 ·
We had our first snow (9") a couple of weeks ago and without the factory limited slip and 4 wheel drive in my 2012 1500, there is no way I would of been able to get my truck up / down the alley then in/out of the backyard parking pad.

My 2008 RAM 1500 4x4 also had the factory limited slip and also performed fine during the winter.

If you are willing to fork over the money, the ARB locker alone is about 2x more expensive then a mopar LSD but it really depends on how you view the return on dollar investment vs actual need/use.

#9 ·
Are our trucks without LSD really that bad in the snow?? :SHOCKED:

I'm used to driving a 2wd Dakota and just put a bunch of snow in the back for a bit more traction. Not the greatest but rarely got stuck. I'd like to think having a 1500 4x4, LSD be damned would be leaps and bounds better than most RWD and FWD vehicles on the road. :doh:

#11 ·
Cobrajr, What kind of tires do you have? I put Hercules Avalanche Snow tires on my 2wd Express. Makes it a different truck in snow.

Reactions: ksand72
#12 ·
I have quad cab 4x4, reg diff and all and have 0 issues in snow, we got 2 ft of snow last week and I never had to put the truck in 4x4 to get anywhere, with the anti spin and all, no issues, I have Snow tires, not sure why everyone seams to have issues in snow.

#14 ·
:smileup:Thanks! Love hearing this! We had a couple inches earlier in the week and even with the stock goodyear tires I only put it in 4x4 going down a steep twisting turn back road. Was actually pretty amazed how good it did just in RWD. With that said it was certainly not a lot of snow and it was pretty wet and slushy. I do beleive some new a/t tires will make a world of difference.

#13 ·
With LSD there is no problem with snow, I hardly use 4wd myself with LSD. Prior to adding LSD on my truck I was very frustrated with the one wheel spinning in any low traction condition.

I would not be without LSD and understand any one else suffering the same frustration I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.