DODGE RAM FORUM banner

first post and alternator problem

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Warlock III 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 ram quad cab. 5.9 "Z" code on vin.(original owner). The alternator is charging weakly. when I turn on lights and a/c I get a check gauges light and the charge shows the bottom acceptable line. when I turn off the lights and a/c the light goes out and the gauge climbs about a needle width above the minimum line (slowly).I can turn on lights OR a/c with no problems, it only happens with both on.(compressor running only). The alternator has 256000 miles give or take. It was working fine until I changed a heater hose and had to remove it to get to the hose clamp. when I reinstalled it and drove truck I noticed it. The battery was replaced less than 100 miles ago. what is the "box" mounted to the back of the alternator? I had to remove it from the alternator to remove alternator as it was in the wiring harness but it was installed exactly like it came off as it only goes on 1 way. I have checked all connections especially ground connections and they have been found to be tight and corrosion free. Help. What did I do wrong, or what is now dead?:4-dontknow:

#3 ·
Sounds like you need to field test alt to rule out volt regulaor from the sound of it. Cause it could be ether going bad hope its alt and not reg. Its done by the computer. Now if it is reg in computer there is a way arround it I think warlock did it in his truck.

#4 ·
well today I am a VERY happy dodge truck owner. Found the problem.......drum roll.........It was the 140amp fusable link. $3.99 at advance auto. :smileup: Had power out of alternator (28vdc) and at battery it showed only the deminishing battery voltage. found blown fuse. all fixed and looking for another 100000 miles.:smiley_thumbs_up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.