DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Exhaust help plz

839 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  S.C. Express 
#1 ·
Ok so based on the research I did on this forum I bought a magnaflow 14" muffler and a y pipe to go on my truck. I bought a y pipe that was 2.5 inlet and 3.0 outlet, and the muffler was 3.0 inlet with 2.5 outlet. I saw many others ran this with good fit and results so I thought I was good. Well, I took it to a local garage who said he could do it no problem instead if my normal guy who has lifted rigs for me in the past, and he says he won't do it. He says the stock muffler is 2.5 in and 2.25 out and that I got the wrong parts. I lost confidence in him when he asked why I bought the y pipe said I didn't need it! I explained the benefits and how it was the right parts if used together. So I am picking the truck up with the stock muffler back in it, and gonna take it to my other guy. But my question is, do I have this right? Is this set up gonna work correctly? It seems like if he was right about my stock measurement then the only issue is the muffler outlet at 2.5 and my stock pipes at 2.25, but this should be ok to weld right? Any help ASAP would be great or else I need to return this stuff to auto anything and get new stuff. Thank

#2 ·
you got the right parts you just new a new guy!!!

#4 ·
Thanks guys that's what I figured. I called my other custom shop and they said no problem, they can swell the 2.25 to 2.5 if they need to, but he said it is very unlikely it is 2.25! He said almost all newer v-8s run at least 2.5.

Does anyone know for sure what the stock pipes are, inlet and outlet sizes? I got the 2012 ram 4x4 hemi Express btw, with factory duals out the back.

Also am I gonna need some extra 3" pipe to get from the y pipe to the new muffler? How much should I get? I told my guy I would pick some up, since he didn't have any stainless in stock.

#6 ·
Ok well I just called a strait up exhaust shop and he said this set up is not good. He said I am restricting the flow by running from 2.5 to 3.0 and then 2.25 out the muffler to the stock pipes. Thoughts? Kinda wish I would've just for the cat back now...

#7 ·
If you purchased a y pipe w/ dual 2.5" inlets and a single 3" outlet you have the correct part. If you purchased a muffler w/ a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets you have the correct part. These will work PERFECTLY and should be EASY for any COMPETENT exhaust shop to install. There's dozens and dozens of guys with this EXACT setup on their trucks.

#8 ·
^^ Yep, the stock muffler is 3" inlet dual 2 1/4" outlets. Using a 2.5" outlet on the muffler is no problem, a small reducer is all that is needed. The 2.5" muffler outlet made it easier for the exhaust guy to weld up to the stock tail pipes.. The tail pipes snake around quite a bit in front of the rear axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.