DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Installing power tailgate lock...anyone done this?

31K views 49 replies 32 participants last post by  camachodjr 
#1 ·
I want to install a power tailgate lock on my new Ram so my key fob will unlock it along with the doors. Anyone install a Pop & Lock power lock kit and if so did it work properly? I want it to work with the fob and not just the switches on the door. I'm assuming this will work as I want it to.

I downloaded the installation instructions but I'm wondering if anyone had any installation issues, in particular finding the correct wires to tap into. In other words are the instructions reliable?

Any other suggestions?

#36 ·
Def go with mopar. I wired mine up yesterday and works great! No delay with the cab doors, little tricky following the camera wiring back to the fuse panel. Mine turned out to be in two different fuse blocks. Tan orange/tan purple. Open rear drivers door panel if stumped. Took about 3 hours. It was my first time and was raining. Don't let dealer charge more than 2 hours. Remember to leave quick connect in bedrail if you ever want to take off the tailgate. Wiring was numbers 18 and 22 infuse harness. All in all pretty sweet and you won't have to worry about keys scratching tailgate anymore.

#37 ·
I shopped on Ebay and found the genuine Mopar tailgate kit for sale at $119, and the ad further pointed out that since the seller was a genuine Dodge/Ram dealer (Freedom in south Dallas, Duncanville area) they would install any part bought from them for FREE.
I called them direct, and confirmed it, and that since it was genuine Mopar and installed by a dealer...it would be fully warranted along with the entire vehicle warranty. It took them about 2 hours, and I enjoyed free coffee and sausage breakfast biscuits while watching their TV.

The instructions were left with me afterward, which indicated the installer had to do a little figuring on a change of wire color coding, but the unit basically connects to the fuse box by the battery and is triggered by the right rear pax door locks. (I have a Crew Cab.)

I love it. Works great. (Although if I'd done this work myself I'd have been a bit neater on the cable-routing and kept it completely inside the frame rails instead of taking a short cut across the top of the spare tire...so I re-routed it when I got it home.)

#40 ·
I really wanted this accessory at one point. However, I have since come across an instance where I was glad it had a manual lock. It you take your truck to a shop -- while you have valuables in the box, it's nice to be able to lock the tailgate with the key, and simply give them the FOB for driving. This probably won't happen often, and is only helpful if you also have a locking tonneau or topper.

#42 · (Edited)
Mopar # 82211668ab

There is an excellent installation thread with pics, just search for it.:smileup:

#43 ·
Thanks djbock that is the number for the Electronic tailgate though correct? I was wondering if there is a kit to actually replace the standard tailgate and handle with the one that has a manual lock, then add the above kit to that. :)

#44 ·
BigRam, sorry read too fast.

Looks like you will need:
68044802AA
68044867AD
68211624AA
68211623AA

#47 ·
FWIW, it ended up being red to tan/orange, black to tan/purple on my 2012 crew cab rear driver door. Decided to route the wiring along the driver side, above the rear wheel well, then followed my bed lighting wires up through the access hole under the rear seat. Hid the wires under the rear door sill and up the pillar, then into the door. Hearing the lock operate when I hit the button on my fob was one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard.

#50 ·
Easy fixed

I installed this mod within the 1st month along with others. I got the part from Dodge Parts, just use the right part number 82211668ab, you'll also need a rivet squeezer (got a 6$ from Harbor Freight), a drill with the right bit, some Posi-Tap Splice In Wire Connector, and also recommend in getting some zip-ties.

Take your tailgate back plate off, and follow the instructions. You'll need to drill 2 holes and pop 2 rivets to hold in place, the wiring routing was easy, mine has the Backup camera, (I highly recommend, especially for towing) and I followed the same wire bundle, then routed through the driverside undercarriage frame, to the wiring bundle. The whole process should take about an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.