DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Info on oil catch cans

4K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  chrisb38002 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to be taking delivery of my '14 Laramie at either the end of this week or the beginning of next week. CS told me today it was off loaded off the train here yesterday and is scheduled to be to the dealership by Friday. I hope so since the rail yard is only about 5 miles from my dealership. Anyway....

I have been reading quite a bit about the benefits of installing an oil catch can and I was wonder what opinions there are about them, if its recommended to install one right from the get go, and if so, does anyone have pics on how their's was installed on the Hemi 5.7

Edit: what brands are recommended also

#3 ·
Thanks Teflon. I checked out billet technologies website and as you said it was very informative.

At the end of the video showing the install with the Z bracket, the cameraman asks about the EGR block offs. Scott states that you need a custom tune in order utilize them. Is doing the EGR block offs required/recommended and are there any risks to tuning?

This the first vehicle aside from my Harley's that I've even considered doing mods to, so this very new to me and I worry a little about screwing something up as I read another thread where one guy thinks his tuner screwed up his tranny. I just want to be cautious and learn as much as possible before pulling the trigger.

I drive 'em, I don't fix 'em.....yet

#4 ·
Lots of flavors to choose from out there. I got a Craftsman air/water separator for an air compressor, some exhaust hose and made my own. It works great. Whatever flavor you go with, do it ASAP.

#5 ·
It certainly will not hurt to install a catch can in the beginning as the longer you wait, the more build up in the intake. Although I did not install mine until 6K on the clock and the intake was clean. It is a worthwhile mod and if it is on your radar screen and you are able, sooner is better than later. I installed a Moroso because it is a high quality unit and has a drain, so you do not have to remove the can to drain the slop.

#19 ·
Sorry for the delayed response guys. Looks like Billit Tech has a catchcam that works for the 14s even though the item option only goes to the 2013 model.

Bullys is working on making the changes to make theirs work with the 14s as well but no ETA on that.

Anyone have an experience with the BT Catch can?

#24 ·
In order for a dealer to deny warranty coverage, they would have to prove that the alteration caused the problem. A catch can removes contaminates and keeps the intake a throttle body clean. It is impossible for them to prove that any engine failure was because it was too clean. I wouldn't worry about a catch can voiding the warranty.

#25 ·
Had my 13 in the dealership a few weeks ago for a check engine light. They never even acknowledged that the catch can was there (and it's red, so they could see it). Like Judd said, it would be very hard for them to claim a device designed to keep the intake system cleaner caused a failure.
I have the BT can and really like the look. Went with them because I could order custom color. Fits in nicely with the color scheme under the hood. It was one of the first mods I did.:smileup:

Attachments

Reactions: RogerRamJet
#29 ·
Thanks. I agree, the CAI would have been their first excuse, but they didn't say anything about that either. Turned out to be a bad fuel cap (leaking).
I guess it depends on the dealership and who works there. The one I use is really cool about mods.

#30 ·
I'm sure the dealers have seen plenty of catch cans on Hemis. I'm surprised that the service techs don't just empty them for you if you have it in for an oil change. I suppose you could ask them to.

I've seen many threads here about catch cans, and lots of pictures of the oil in them. Mine never fills up as much as I see in some of these pictures. Kind of weird, but maybe that is because I have the 2500 Hemi without MDS? I've seen some people post pictures of their catch can filled up after 3000 miles, meanwhile mine was only 1/4 filled up after the same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.