DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Urgent Info For '08 And Newer 4.7 Owners

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
I've recently discovered a problem with the top row coil packs that needs immediate attention. Last week I did an upper row plug replacement and when I tried to remove the coil packs, two of the boots tore beyond repair due to them seizing on the porcelin part of the plug. I thought this might be an isolated incident but after another plug replacement today, I discovered this is going to be a problem. The real downer is that plug boots are no longer available seperately from Chrysler and we couldn't locate any in the aftermarket so the entire coil pack must be replaced. Not that it much matters since the boots are only $3 cheaper than the complete coil pack.

If you're covered under the powertrain warranty and it should be covered if the service is done at the dealer but I'm not sure how it would be handled if this happens to a do-it-yourselfer.

My advice - remove the coil and apply dielectric grease to the inside of the boots where they dontact the porcelin part of the plug to prevent seizing.

I also checked the boots on the lower plugs and they came off cleanly but applying dielectric grease to these wouldn't be a bad idea.

See less See more
#9 ·
About a week late for me Just found this site seeing if this was a problem for others. I can answer what Chrysler will do about the problem for do it yourself croud. The top right row I had no issue removing the boots In fact there was enough grease on the plugs to make a mess. The top right side all four boots are welded to the plug. I ended up breaking the plugs off below the boot to remove the boot and top of the plug and a magnet worked great to remove the bottom halh of the plug Of course the boot os a dealer only item and dummy me decided to change the plugs on Sunday....The truck has a lifetime warranty but I would have to have it towed in and because I had damaged the boots they would not be covered under warranty and to add insult to injury they threatned to void the life time warranty because I had worked on the truck..nice ... so $150.00 dollars and four new coils she is back on the road and I am still trying to figure out how to get Dodge to honor their mistake

Bob

#11 ·
Start by calling Chrysler customer service and explain to them what happened. I'm sure proof will be required so you'll need the old plugs with the stuck boots. If it were me, I'd DARE the dealer to try to void the warranty. There's nothing at all that says you can't perform your own maintainence.

#10 ·
Thanks for putting the word out!

My parents have an 08 4.7L, we haven't been into the plugs yet as the truck only has around 40K. My dad always puts dielectric grease on the boots for this reason. We did my truck around 30K miles ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.