DODGE RAM FORUM banner

True Dual Mufflers

5K views 35 replies 6 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
Planning on running a true dual (stock Cats) custom pipe (2.5") setup with an H-crossover to balance everything out. The gas tank is giving me a little grief on planning the setup but I'm pretty sure I can manuever around it. My main concern is with the mufflers at this point. I'm looking for a set of mufflers that is going to have the outside rumble without making too much noise in the interior. I'm currently looking at the Flowmaster 40 series, and the Super 44 series. Although I've heard mixed reviews/opinions on the exterior/interior noise volume of these mufflers, but of course everyone is running a different setup so its really hard to make a decision.

So with the setup I'm currently planning... What set of mufflers do you guys recommend that will give me the outside rumble I need, with a reasonably quiet interior that the lady won't mind?

Any personal experiences or reviews would be great, as well as any RAM Chick's opinion!

G
#4 ·
I've used Flows before...they get loud inside and out. I prefer Magnaflow mufflers. Great sound when you get on it, quiet at cruise and around town.

MDS on a 5.7L HEMI will create a drone so make sure you add some resonators in the back. Or, if you prefer not to have resonators and you do have the HEMI, get a DiabloSport programmer. You can turn OFF the MDS.

#6 ·
Finally got to drive my buddy's Ram last week (been beggin' him for weeks, lol), but me, personally, I like the sound of the Flowmaster. Yes, you can hear it inside, but to me, not aggravating at all on his HEMI, just depends on personal preference. My '81 had it (already installed when I bought the truck so I can't take credit for the mod, only for enjoying it :D), but I didn't find it distracting at all and I had the 318 in mine, so no MDS. Haven't really had any experience with the Magnaflow, but from the sounds of it, lol, (no pun intended), might be the way to go if you want it quieter in the cab. :)

- Cajun :pepper:

#16 · (Edited)
In answer to your question, he's running Flowmaster 40's, which kinda' settled a disagreement between him and his brother, lol, but anyways, it was dark the other night when he stopped by, but I will see him again this week, and he said I can take pics of it if I want, however, I gotta agree with Moes Performance, I prefer the X pipe setup, also! :)

Quick question Moe, absent the drone, what is the noise level in the cab? Guess I'm beginning to think my truck is just too quiet, lol! :)

#11 ·
I will find out and let ya' know tomorrow! :)

#13 ·
I ran true duals on my '03 HEMI Ram before I sold it.

My setup was:

Pacesetter longtubes
Magnaflow cats
Tubing necked down to 2 1/2" after the cats
Magnaflow Dual in/Dual out 2 1/2" muffler w/perforated X pipe core
Turndowns before the rear axle

This was great for me. I had No drone at any rpm. I think this is due to the x-pipe muffler.
There's something about the x-pipe in the right place that cancels exhaust pulses and drone.

I dunno how it would sounds with MDS though, but I do have Aero AR25s in stock for resonators.

#18 ·
I vote magnaflows...I use to run Flow 50 Delta's (loud inside and out) then switched to Mags which made it very quiet in cab and a nice rumble outside..i added cutouts to get my loud fix.... I went to my local kragen's to get a license plate light (drove up with my cutouts open)... saw a couple of nice lowered chevy's in the parking lot and when I walked in 2 guys walked up to me to tell me how badass my truck sounded, they have seen me on the streets in the area and have even driven by my house when I was doin cam installs on other rams in my driveway so they knew I was 'built'....cool thing was, they invited me to come to future gtg's with their truck club....

#32 ·
THE EXHAUST MAN SAID THE EXHAUST PIPING IS 2 1/4th inch SO WE NEED THAT SIZE PIPE RIGHT? yes no why do you say so

#33 ·
I'm guessing the stock pipe on your vehicle is 2 1/4 at the moment... But the size of the pipe all depends upon your engine and what exhaust setup you're running. For starters what vehicle are you questioning about and what engine is in it? Also what type of exhaust setup are you looking at running?

#34 ·
x2...it all depends on the engine and the mods on it...for most guys 3" is TOO big (and will lose low-end)..but, with my mods I needed 3" duals to get mine to perform at optimum..

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.