DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New '11 Ram, Little Problems with the Big Horn...and a huge kudos to Tacoma Dodge.

5K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  InDeepWaterBlue 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after putting 8500 miles on my truck on a road trip, then another 1,000 or so since I have been back, I have noticed a few issues and decided to get them taken care of. List of issues so far (none major except maybe the first one).

-Torque Converter noise. Sounded like a card in a bicycle wheel. It turns out the dealer says it was the thrust bearing on the converter.

-Torn weatherstripping (R/R cab) on the cab itself, but in the door opening:

-Torn rear seat cover...apparently the dog needs his nails trimmed or something. :doh:

The interior warranty by AutoQual covers this little oops. :shy: The new rear seat is on order.

-Paint issue, the paint appears to be bubbling on the right rear of my cab, right before my bed:

We are still unsure what exactly this is. It looks like a botched repaint, but other than this, the body shop techs can not find ANY evidence of a repaint or repair and there is always some. Steve Maddox, Service Manager for Tacoma Dodge said more than likely it is a defect in worksmanship from the factory, and a BAD one at that. I told him it seems to be getting worse and I wanted it taken care of. It was NOT there when I purchased the truck (I believe I would have seen something like this).

My experience from the get-go with these hiccups has been nothing short of...well...phenomenal. Tacoma Nissan/Ram/Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge has been simply a pleasure to work with. Their service director (Eric) emailed me to congratulate me on my purchase and to ask if there was anything he could do. I responded by politely explaining my 4 issues here, and he said:

"Bring it right in, right away and we will take care of everything. Ask for me when you come in, and if we do not have another Ram for you to drive, I will let you take my New Longhorn."

Turns out they did not have another Ram, and he did offer me his Longhorn...but not wanting to catch longhorn fever (remember what happened when I caught Hemi fever? ) I declined and thanked him for his offer, and he asked me if I cared what I was driving. I said anything but a Nissan Puke (Juke). He had a tech bring around a '13 Altima and asked if I was cool with it. I absolutely was. While it is not a Ram, it gets 40mpg so far on the highway. I am ok with that.

When I bring the loaner back, I do not have to fill it, wash it or anything, Eric said just bring it back as is and they will take care of it. In addition to this, they are throwing in a trans filter change free of charge, since they have to take the transmission apart anyway.

I got home to an email in my inbox reading:

Mr. Morrison,

Thank you so much for bringing the issues with your new Ram to our attention. We want you to know that we strive to sell the best vehicles to the best customers. I am absolutely appalled that there was a vehicle on our lot that was sold in anything less than perfect condition and especially at that price.

I just wanted to tell you that I am profoundly sorry for this inconvenience and would like to extend you one of the following coupons as a courtesy:

-$1,000 off any vehicle purchase up to $20,000;
-$2,500 off any vehicle purchase from $20,000-$30,000;
-$5,000 off any vehicle purchase of $30,000 or more;

Valid at any Chrysler Corporate Dealership or Franchise Dealership in the United States. This offer is also valid in addition to any and all other incentives/rebates you may receive. It doesn't have to be this dealer, this is a nationwide Chrysler Corporate Coupon that never expires. They should be arriving to you by mail. Simply present it at your next vehicle purchase. If this does not suit you, please respond to this email letting me know how we can make you happy.

As for your issues, I have personally checked on them. The parts are on order and you may keep the loaner car for as long as we have your Ram. If this loaner car at any time does not fit your needs, let us know and we will find you one that does, and all of your repairs will be done free of charge. If this problem is not fixed to your satisfaction after 3 attempts by us to rectify the situation, my dealership will buy it back for the full purchase price plus taxes and finance charges, and refund your down payment or apply it to a different vehicle on our lot should you so desire.

Remember, if there is anything at all that I or my staff can do to make your experience with us more pleasant, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Phil Bivens-Owner
Tacoma Nissan/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram

Now that's SERVICE.:smileup::smileup::smileup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Holy crap Batman!

With service like that, I'd be tempted to go cross country to buy my next vehicle.

glad that they're taking care of you, and hope the truck is back home again soon

Exco

#5 ·
I think it has to be a new vehicle...I got the coupon's this morning. It is a Manufacturer's Rebate Corporate Customer Coupon (mouthful).

Its only valid for me...Wish I could pass it off to someone here. As much as I love my truck, I am going to have it for a VERY long time. With any luck...itll be 2025 before I am even remotely interested in something new.

#7 · (Edited)
Wow...more news.

Chrysler Regional VP drove 45 miles from Seattle on a sunday morning to look at my truck before the body shop gets hold of it.

He wants the bed, bumpers, hood, fenders, chrome trim, glass and lights removed and the truck stripped and completely repainted. He called me personally said the truck was part of a small batch of 10 trucks whose paint job was bad from the factory. In several places that he saw (I didn't see them, but I can go with it), the base coat had begun lifting from the primer. He asked if it was OK with me if their body shop repaints my truck. (DUH :D) 4 weeks to do a color change at a cost for only paint, 1 to re-paint in Brilliant Black Metallic Pearl (factory original). Time difference is due to how much they have to paint to match (under carpet, inside engine bay, etc) if they change color. He wants it done right so all the removal and reinstallation of all components will take place either way. Its getting a complete repaint so they aren't just doing spot repairs and blending all over the truck. I asked if they could smooth out any dings when they do it and he said they will.

I told him to keep it factory and do whatever he feels necessary. Unbelievable customer service.

I should see if they will paint all my interior silver trim black...

#11 ·
Hate to say it, but that's how everyone's trucks look up close around the fenders and pillars. They just painted the vehicles in very thin coats and it sucks :smiledown: But if you take it to a VERY good body shop, strip all the wax and sealant off your truck, and re-clear it with maybe 4 layers of clear and have it wet sanded than re-cleared it'll look/feel as smooth as glass :smileup:

You have a great dealership out there in Tacoma Josh!!

#9 ·
My dad asked "For the trouble they are going do, how come they don't put you in a new one?"

Let's see. Pay someone $20/hr to repaint the truck... (at best $5,000).

Or give me a new one and take a $50,000 hit. I wont take less than a Laramie or Sport. :D

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, the truck will be done tomorrow they say, they ran into an issue finding the right torque converter, they didn't want to install the same one because it would have the same issue so it took them a day to find the updated part #. Back on track for re-installation tonight, then they have to put the body back on the frame, reassemble the interior and all the trim and put the front and rear windshield's back in.

When I went on Tuesday, they had the frame, engine, trans, suspension separated from the body. The frame and power-train was on a lift with the transmission out (torque converter replacement) the cab and bed were on a rotisserie after being sandblasted and primed, were receiving the base coat, and the hood, fenders and doors were already completely pained and baking. The chrome bumpers, trim, glass and interior were in a cold storage locker at the back of the lot until ready for re-installation.

#13 ·
Good lord I am sure you will go over the truck with a fine tooth comb but if it where me I would have them park your truck next to a 2012 and make sure they got everything back 100% or better. I don't doubt the awesome dealership you have for doing all this work but that is just how I would go about it... I always assume people take shortcuts so...

#14 ·
Trust me. I told them I am anal so it better be right.

I am taking my surefire flashlight to look for any imperfections in the paint, and I will be measuring the gaps in the bed to make sure its centered, etc.

#15 ·
Sweet! Now I don't feel like the only one who measures the gaps between the doors and hood when they were shut to make sure they are all even!...:wavey:

Anywho I am very jealous...your going to have one sweet, clean ride when it's all said and done!

#16 ·
Ok, got the truck back today. Has a few small issues, but nothing a little buffing cant fix. Overall I am happy with it and the service I got! The truck looks great, it drives like its new, no squeaks, rattles or anything of the sort.

small list of stuff they did that kinda made me a little upset, but they offered to fix when I bring it back for the rear seat (on order)

-Buffer burn marks in the clearcoat on the rear passenger door. Somebody used a rotary and doesnt know how to properly operate it. Its only a few small spots and they should polish out.

-they missed a dent (painted over it) on the metal surrounding the rear window. not a big deal but would have liked it gone (was caused by me anyway, but not the point).

-They did not inform me they were replacing BOTH front wheel bearings. I thought it was just one. Not that it really matters because again, I did not pay for it.

-Tonneau cover was not re-installed correctly. Not a huge deal, easy to adjust, just seemed like they were hurrying when they put it back on.

-they chipped my freshly painted calipers when they took off and put on my front wheels. again, nothing serious that a shot or 2 with some paint wont cure. Thats why I kept the second can instead of taking it back to the store.

I had already filled the rental for return and had an appointment at the VA hospital in 45 minutes (and it was 45 minutes away with traffic), so I didn't have time to do anything except give it a good look-over, swap my stuff from rental car to truck, sign the papers and go!

#17 ·
Rut-Roh...I just took the truck for a drive around the neighborhood...the noise I took it in for is still there. I checked the bolts and the bellhousing and they did indeed remove the transmission which means they likely replaced the converter (so they weren't pulling the wool over my eyes).

The noise I am hearing appears around 30 mph on deceleration, and dissappears around 5-8mph, or when you hit the gas. It does not appear to be damaging anything, and does go away when I push the button on the shift selector to deactivate MDS.

I am thinking whatever this is, it is related to the MDS.

#18 ·
Damn man, all the issues you had when you got it back are small for sure. If you didn't have an appointment to make I think I would have told the manager to come look at everything like the swirl burns. Hard cover and calipers are an easy fix though so I prolly wouldn't have mentioned that. As far as this new issue goes though, I have no idea lol

#19 ·
Verdict is back.

Steve Maddox (service manager) drove my truck today, then he spent the day driving several NEW rams. ALL of them made the same noise mine does between 30 and 10mph. He says its likely normal, but to be on the safe side they looked at it again. It appears to be a noise originating in the combustion chamber of the cylinders that are not firing while MDS is engaged. Turn off MDS, and the noise goes away instantly.

#21 ·
my dealership has been pretty good to me, i have been there a couple of times for installing mods and painting mods and unfortunately a trip for some small body shop work and they have always taken care of me and have shown good customer service. you definately have a great dealership.

#22 ·
I just bought a new Ram from this dealership on Sunday. Glad to hear they have a stand up service dept.

I was a little worried because the dealership itself felt like a traditional try to screw you over dealership with the "let me go talk to my manager 6 times" deal. And the managers office is enclosed in glass at a higher level than everyone else.

I have to say, they did eventually give me a screaming deal on my truck though.

#23 ·
Just keep in mind
Sales & Service Depts can be like night & day

as long as the Service Dept treats you right
the pain from the Sales Dept will go away in time
============================================

Josh it sounds like your Ram is in good hands
they seem to be going the extra mile

#24 ·
Its been about 1,000 miles since all the work, no squeaks, rattles or anything strange in the interior, the paint is FLAWLESS, the trans is working good, the Torque Converter seems to be working the way it should be.

Looks like we have a winner. :smileup:

#26 ·
Update from me. Dealer did the driveability update, seemed to solve the problem they said. I got on the interstate and gave it till I got back to the base (about 10 miles). It CONSISTENTLY made the shudder happen at highway speeds whenever the throttle was released and pressed again. I turned around and went right back to the Dealer. Talked to Steve (Service Manager) and he and the tech came for a ride.

The tech felt it immediately and when we returned to the dealer, he emailed STAR and Chrysler. Tech apologized for not understanding what the complaint was on the Work order, they did not mention a shudder initially, only a nudging sensation. And he would recommend replacement of the converter a second time based off the test drive. Steve called me this morning and told me they placed a NEW torque converter (not re-manned) on order and will call me when the part comes in. This will be converter number 3.

For those with the noise who want their converter replaced because its annoying, I would recommend living with the noise...LOL what a hassle. At least my dealer is being fantastic about it, that makes the whole exprience much easier to live with.

Also, for those wondering, 2 converters, 3 rental cars, and several hours of diagnosis has all been free of charge so far.

#27 ·
Also, for those wondering, 2 converters, 3 rental cars, and several hours of diagnosis has all been free of charge so far.
To me that's the most important part, I'm glad you have an awesome dealership that are handling the situation. Chrysler really needs to talk to who ever is making their TC's and get this situation handled. I'm really glad I replaced my TC with an aftermarket piece early on instead of keeping the stock one.

#28 ·
Chrysler is aware of the situation and they are about to issue a TSB for it, according to my dealer's SM. He was told this morning to be prepared for it in the next several weeks, as my Ram was one of about 10,000 complaints in the last year with this same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.