DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Headlights turn off when ignition is turned on???

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Nabby 
#1 · (Edited)
Please help! My headlights turn off when I turn on ignition. Only parking and fog lights work. Headlights work only when truck is turned off. I have replaced some parts hoping to correct problem. I have replaced the CTM as recommended by my local dealer with no results. Headlight switch and high beam/turn signal switch have also been replaced. Additional problem is the cruise control function will turn off and on by itself and set unexpectedly. I am thinking both of these issues are connected. I checked diagnostic codes on the odometer and came up with a PCU1693 and ECU0575. I have been researching this problem online for a while and have come up with nothing for the headlight issue. The cruise control issue has popped up online for other truck owners, but no one ever had the issue resolved through dealer solutions, such as cruise control switch, etc. One post pointed to the vehicle computer but didn't say if it solved the problem. Right now that seems like the most promising solution but I would love to hear from someone who has been through this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

#2 ·
Time to break out the wiring schematic. My first guess would be the relay. For whatever reason, it doesn't want to work with the key in the 'on' position. Swap relays and see what happens.

#3 ·
What year truck is it? I've been having a hard time helping with these questions lately, because it seems everyone posting here in the 1st Gen forum seems to have 2nd or 3rd gens listed on their profile. If this is on your 2nd gen 2001, I don't know much about it, but if it's a 1st gen (93 or older), I have some wiring schematics around for a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.