DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need rear spring / towing education

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  point 
#1 ·
I will be getting the Bilsteins to do a level on my truck. Will most likely use the 2.1 setting. In the summer I pull a pontoon boat, about 6k lbs.

I have seen people recomend better springs and/or air bags to combat sag when leveled.

Do I keep the stock springs and add some Air Lift 1000's...
Do I upgrade to some TTC-1223V TufTruck springs...
or get both???

If I do any of the above, would I be ok to take the shocks up to the 2.8 setting?

What's the difference between a variable rate spring and a standard in this type of application?

#3 ·
The height you want to set your Bilsteins at should be determined by your fender heights now. Since not all trucks come exactly the same from the factory you'll want to measure yours to find out how much rake you have and then go from there. You're going to want to retain at least 0.5" to avoid looking nose high but since you plan on towing a lot I'd stick closer to 1" of take.

As far as the rear suspension goes I would put Airlift bags or a TLC kit on way before I'd change out the springs. You're only towing 6k so airbags will handle that no problem. There's no sense in changing out the springs for a worse ride quality all winter when you aren't towing.
I had the Airlifts in my 1500 and they helped a lot with the towing I did (approx 4500 pounds). Check out my Airlift thread linked in my signature below for more information on that.
Since you plan on towing more weight and probably more frequently the TLC kit might be a better option for you. They have a higher capacity as they are an external bag, not an in coil bag.

#4 · (Edited)
I too am looking to put a set Bilsteins 5100 on my '13 1500 and want to maintain
around a 2" rake. Would spacers for the rear coils be a viable option. A guy I
talked to told me to stay away from spacers and go with heavier coils but I
don't want to lose the ride. lol It's one of the reasons I bought the truck. I'm
not planning on towing for a couple of years yet so airbags seem like over kill.

#5 ·
I run the firestone airbags and have an inboard air compressor. This way I pump them up when I tow and let it out when I don't. I tow 6500-8000 lbs pretty frequently but I didn't want the stiff ride you get from going with a stiffer spring. Very easy to install and you can always do just the bags if you do not tow as frequently as I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.