DODGE RAM FORUM banner

K&N 63 Series CAI for 2013

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  usmcz28 
#1 ·
I was looking for a K&N CAI intake for my '13 1500 Hemi with 8speed, and I did not see an option. I asked on one site and they said the '12 will fit (63-1561). Anybody know if this is true?

#2 ·
Question, are you replacing your present CAI that came with the truck for the K&N because you are looking to get a permanent filter you can use for as long as you own your truck? or is it for the look? or for the sound? Just asking because the OEM CAI is very efficient already due to the power and fuel efficiency's the Ram Truck is presently attaining. If its for looks there are better looking units out there, such as S&B and Vararam, but thats a question of taste, They may not be available yet for the 2103 but should be soon. If its for More HP, then you might as well keep your present CAI and look at a tuner. Bully Dog has now released the Tune for the 2013 Ram and that will help in HP and maybe a 1% in fuel efficiency. I have the K&N CAI on my 2012 cause I wanted the Filter and Like to mod my truck. JMO

Here is a link to the Vararam

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143122

#3 ·
The K&N kit will fit physically, but the Inlet air sensor for the the 13's have a different connector than previous years so the extension harness that comes with the kit will not fit. I sold my K&N kit and bought the S&B CAI which is a true CAI and looks alot better too. The S&B kit will fit with no issues and uses the stock connector and sensor with no need for an extension harness like the K&N uses. The AC lines on the 13's are bigger and routed differently than previous years so be careful about installing any accessories/mods not specifically made for the 13.

Reactions: Asur
#4 ·
How does the s&b sound? I bought k&n before I knew they changed the connector :/ trying to ship it back. Even if the air temp was the same the a/c lines were in the way like you said. How was the install on yours?

#5 ·
Just sold a customer a 12 kit for his 13 and he couldn't fit it and returned it to me. Guys at K&N were no help, they told me they had no listing for it and were not sure if the 12 would fit... guess the R&D department have been on vacation for the last 9 months! Customer was saying that the A/C lines were in the way of where the tube/filter would be.

#6 ·
I'm guessing its a 1 year change and K&N doesn't want to invest in a new design/tooling cause they won't sell enough to make it worth there profits! ? Cause the 2014 trucks are coming and different too and they'll be putting the money into that instead? Manufacturers don't like one year wonders, there is no profit in it for them!

#9 ·
I have a 2013 and I used a K&N 63 series from a 2012 on mine. YES it does fit and YES the AC line gets in the way a little. All I did was trim the box to acomodate the AC line and then wrapped the AC line in a rubber hose so it didn't continually rub on the intake.

As far as the IAT sensor, you dont need the extension although it is rather nice to have. I simply undid the factory wire loom and the rewrapped the IAT wires and reran them. It works and it's easy enough to do, took me about 20 minutes to do. Although it's not plug and play it is feasible to do with a little work.

I can post pictures up if you want me to and I can even take it apart to show you how I made it fit. Not everything is plug and play on vehicles and some "modifying" may need to be done to get things working form time to time but that's what this hobby is all about.

#11 · (Edited)
I've actually got one of these on my '10 ram. Definitely changes the sound of the engine when its breathing in air. Plus it looks great in the engine bay.

As you can see its a simple design and wouldn't be very hard to modify

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.