DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4 in Lift vs. 6 in Lift?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  012RAMbo 
#1 ·
Just got my first RAM posted in another area about some leveling kit advice and got redirected to here.
I have had a hulluva time trying to find information on lift kits for a 4x2. I have a 2011 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab 4.7 2WD.
I was looking at the "Supreme Suspension" 3 in. leveling kit to get rid of the rake from the factory or at least minimize it, but after talking to a buddy I am leaning now towards an entire suspension lift. I found a SkyJacker 4in lift and the 6 in lift on 4WheelDriveParts.com for $1,650 (4 inch) and $1720 (6 inch)
This is my first truck I have owned I just got out of a 4dr Acura. If I get the suspension kit will I still have the factory rake? or when the kit is installed can I get the front lifted more than the back? Like go 4 inches in the front and only 2 in the back? or 6 inches in the front and 4 in the back? Or will I still need to get the leveling kit to minimize the rake?
Also will I run into any issues with one compared to the other? Any infor will help. Thanks!

#3 ·
I'm not the best person to answer your question but from the reading I've done a 4" or 6" lift will leave you with a less noticeable rake (maybe 1" instead of the standard 3" or so). With that said though, a lot of people purchase the Bilstein 5100's and set them to 1.4 or 0.7 in the front in order to make their truck dead level. A route you might want to consider if you want the truck exactly level. The shocks run roughly $100 a piece.

#4 ·
The only companies that make a full suspension lift for 09 up 2wd is CST and Maxxtrac that I am aware of. I believe Firemedic there is using the Maxxtrac kit. Then you have several companies that make leveling spacers, you can find those on Ebay. RCX also makes a leveling kit for 2wd. The Skyjacker and BDS and other major brands are only for 4wd trucks. The rear suspensions are the same, but not the front. So those kits won't work for your truck. Look into those two companies I suggested. You can go from 4" up to 7'' with those two choices. Good luck with everything.

#5 ·
The adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks will not fit on the front of your truck. Those are for 4wd only, equipped with struts. They do make Bilstein 5100 shocks that fit the front and rear, but these are not adjustable for the 2wd. You will not have any rake with one of the suspension lifts I recommended, unless you want to piece it together to keep some rake in there.

#6 ·
Disregard my last. RAMbo is correct ^^^ I thought 5100's were compatible with 4x2 but apparently they are not (per Bilstein website). Only the 4600 series is and they are not adjustable.

#7 ·
Talked with a shop here in town and he recommended the CST 4 inch spindle lift with 1.5 blocks in the back. He gave me a price right around $1500ish give or take a little. I went to another shop here in town and the quoted me $2300 plus shocks. I very kindly told him to take a long walk off a short pier. but any ways that you for the input.

#9 ·
I'd go w a 4" CST spindle lift if I were you. And talk to Andrew at Bullys Performance for pricing. They're vendors on these forums and the top dogs for aftermarket stuff and they are great with prices.

fastNugly@bullysperformance.com

#8 ·
I'd go with the 6" lift over the 4" no regets later on and looks great with either 35" or 37" tires.I went with the Rough Country 6" lift and added the bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks set @ 1.4" .Truck sits approx. with 3/4" of rake. For my pics, click on gallery, type in black ram lifted in advanced search.

#10 ·
I am guessing the $1,500 was for parts and labor? That is okay, but not great. The parts are $800 and he is charging you $700 for about 3-4 hrs of work. Me and my buddy did this exact same lift on mine in about 4-5 hours with no vehicle lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.