DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 4x4 RCX 6" lift longevity and ride to owners

3K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  macc08 
#1 ·
Hi guys I know there are alot of forums about these lifts maybe my question is different. My wife owns a 2013 ram express crew 1500 4x4 and she seen pics of lifted ones and fell in love. My question strictly for the people that own the rough country 6" lift your overall impression on them pros and cons. I've never owned a lifted vehicle so im no help besides reading forums. Im curious is the ride going to be signifigantly rougher or sloppier no pun intended? I can only assume it will be nothing like stock. she is also putting on 22" rims and either 35 or 37 mt tires on as well. I love my wife and the look of lifted trucks just want her to know the upsides and downsides to changing up the truck. Any help will be greatly appreciated before I spend big $$$$$$$. Thank to all in advance with this.

#2 ·
I was happy with the 6" RCX lift I had on my 1500, granted I only ran it for about a month before I traded the truck in. But I know there are a lot of members on the forum running it who have no issues at all.

I would definitely recommend running Bilstein front struts with the kit to level it out. That will also give you a nicer ride than stock. Overall I thought my truck rode better with the 6" lift than it did stock and I'm sure the Bilsteins were the biggest contributing factor to that. Obviously you need to take it a little easier around corners because of the increased height but that's with any lifted truck.

Pros:
- The kit is a good price for what you're getting.
- Provides everything you need to lift the truck

Cons:
- The entire kit is painted rather than powder coated so it does chip and flake off easier.
- The steering knuckles come up painted - you'll definitely want to throw a coat of paint on them to avoid them getting covered in surface rust.
- Double check the parts that come with the truck to make sure they are correct for your year. Then once it's installed I would have some knowledge of how to check pinion angles to make sure they aren't out to lunch.

#3 ·
Thank you for response

I appreciate you getting back to me I was reading up on the Bilstien 5100 series shocks in place of the rcx ones supplied are those the ones you were referring to? Also not that it matters all that much but how was your fuel mileage affected I know it will go down with the lift and rim and tire combo but curious by how much im leaning towards having her do 35x12.50x22 trail grapplers. Damn now im realizing my wife has more expensive taste than I do haha.

#4 ·
The RCX kit doesn't supply front struts, only a strut spacer to go on top of the factory struts. With the Bilsteins you will still use the RCX spacer but you have the option of setting the Bilsteins for additional lift height to level the truck. And as I said, the Bilsteins will also give you a better ride over the stock struts.

You can check out my lift thread HERE. It has a bunch of information on my exact set up.

You won't see much of a drop in mpg from the lift, mainly from the wheels and tires. Most guys typically lose about 2 mpg with 35's. But it largely depends on your driving habits as well. With my 1500 I was averaging about 15.5 mpg with the lift and 35's.

#5 ·
I just purchased a dodge and I'm about to put an RCX lift on it. I'm not sure about RCX, but I have owned a chevy silverado 2500 for 11 years with a 6 inch RCD lift and 35 inch tires and will tell you that the lift kit improved the ride and the feel of the whole suspension tremendously. The tires however make the truck ride a little bumpier than the factory street tires and the larger tires are harder to keep balanced so in my opinion it's more in the tires than the lift. I have drove my lifted truck for 11 years and now I'm about to lift a dodge the same way with an RCX lift because I never had any problems with my lifted Chevy.

#6 ·
thanks

Thank You for the responses I will check out your build thread for sure.
If any one else can throw in their two cents it will also be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention the truck will overall be for street use and light off roading when we go camping and such. I am also going to ask peoples opinions on tires in here as well. Im leaning towards nitto trail grapplers 35x12.50x22 but im also seeing FUEL, AMP and DAKAR?at lower price points and I know sometimes you get what you pay for but im curious if anyone have driven these other tires by chance and their take on them. Without this sounding dumb I do like that they say with the trail grapplers for road noise is not as bad as other tires out there. Once again just looking out for my wife because if I get this all done and she hates it I can see an early divorce hahaha.

#7 ·
The Fuel tires have been out for at least a year now and honestly I haven't seen a single truck using them.... the tread pattern looks identical to a Toyo MT. But I'm not sure how the compound compares. Amp tires are just a knock off Toyo MT as well. There's been a few guys running them recently, but definitely not many. I've never heard of Dakar so I can't comment on those... must not be very popular at all.

You definitely can't go wrong with Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo MT's. Both are great tires and you won't be disappointed. They're definitely quite for a mud tire as well. I was very surprised with the Toyo's I had on my 1500... There was a bit of a hum from them, but nothing to loud that you couldn't talk over it easily or need to crank up your stereo.

#8 ·
I haven't personally ran any of the tires you mentioned but can tell you this, every truck I have ever owned has been lifted and I have used several different tires, and once I bought my first set of BFG All terrains I haven't bought anything else since. I usually get about 75-80K from a set and they are not that noisy, have a good ride and have never got me stuck or failed to get traction. I use my truck the same way you described, a little off roading to get firewood or go fishing, but mostly hwy.

#10 ·
Ok so heres what my list is looking like

rcx 6" lift
bilstien 5100
already have 22 rims
35" nitto trail grapplers
is there any other factors to consider or additional costs so i can fully budget for this endeavor.

on a side note even though I have these 22s im really considering 18's or 20's now that everything has taken off in this direction. At the start it was going to just be 22s with 285/55/22 trail grapplers and a daystar front leveling kit. WOW this escalated fast HAHA

ALSO do you guys reccomend 35s or 37s with a 6" lift.

AND last who has the best prices on my list? always looking for the best deal

#11 ·
I like smaller rims with bigger tires, also allows more rubber to protect the rims.

With a 6" 35's and 37's both look awesome so can't go wrong there. Bilsteins are an awesome ride and great product.

Give the guys at Bully's Performance a shout and see what they can do for you. I got my tires and bilstiens from them, and will be getting my lift in the future.

#12 ·
With the 22" rims I'd go with 37's for sure, that's a really nice look IMO and is what I plan on putting on my truck eventually. 35's won't give you enough sidewall on the 22's which will look dumb.

So I'd recommend going with the 6" RCX lift and Bilsteins at 1.4" and running 37's. That will be a nice set up. As Canadian Hemi Pride said, shoot the guys at Bully's Performance an email at sales@bullysperformance.com letting them know that you're a forum member and what you want and they'll get a quote to you.

#15 ·
another tire question

Can anyone chime in on the fallen wild peak 37x13.50x22. My wife actually said she liked the look of them for an a/t and for 4 tires @ 1033 shipped I do have to admit I like the price. Has anyone used them or have any pics on a lifted. Only thing I could find in reviews is they are so so in rain. Any replys would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong I love the nittos and toyos but that 2k price point is kinda shell shock

#16 ·
Can anyone chime in on the fallen wild peak 37x13.50x22. My wife actually said she liked the look of them for an a/t and for 4 tires @ 1033 shipped I do have to admit I like the price. Has anyone used them or have any pics on a lifted. Only thing I could find in reviews is they are so so in rain. Any replys would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong I love the nittos and toyos but that 2k price point is kinda shell shock
My buddy will only run those tires on his F-350 as they are cheap and last forever. They won't keep up with a M/T off road but will be safer on the road for snow and ice than a M/T.

#18 ·
There is nothing remarkable about the looks but they look better tons than a highway tire. I'd call them an average AT in the looks department.

#21 ·
The Toyo M/Ts are a great tire for sure but they are the ridiculously heavy. Just something to keep in mind if you value your acceleration, braking, towing ability, or MPGs. Granted any 37" will hurt all those, but the Toyo M/Ts even more so. Just my .02 if you don't really need an aggressive tire.

#22 ·
Well to my wife those are always factors to take into consideration. For me if it was my truck I would just want it to be badass haha no matter what sacrifices would have to be made. Now If running 37s regardless if A/T or M/T im sure recalibration would have to be done with the computer but would there be any issues with gearing or the rear end? I just dont want to have other suprises pop up in the outcome. Realistically I could do a leveling kit with 35s and the wife would get over not doing a lift. I know this may upset you guys but I myself am an air ride sitting low to the ground kinda guy I have always been a LOW LIFE haha so this really Is all opposite to me. I think thats why the wife and I gel so well because we are polar opposites. Also does anyone have pics of a lifted ram with at style tires on it. Im not seeing much on the web except a dually on Falkens.

#28 ·
Not sure how to post pictures, but if you click on gallery and type in black ram in the advanced search. My pics are labeled black ram lifted. I'm running the 6"RCX lift, bils@1.4" with 22" Fuel Hostages on 37" Toyo MT's . For a mud tire I expected them to be really loud on the road. I don't find them noisy, first winter with them and I had no problem through deep snow or ice. Their great in the mud and I'm glad I didn't go with an AT tire. Good luck with your wife's build. Can't wait to see your pics.

#29 ·
did you get new rear coils with your lift or just spacers? We just had this discussion in another thread because another member got new rear coils with his kit and the site advertises spacers instead now... i contacted Rough Country and they didn't mention anything about "changing" from coils to spacers...

Just curious.

#36 ·
wtf... when did you buy it? I'd like to know why the site advertises spacers, and even the tech support guy said they only give coils to 2000 and older... Maybe Ill have to call and talk to a real person there, not just the online chat.

also, where did you buy it from?

#38 ·
That's what I was thinking too. They probably wanted to increase the profit margin a little bit a coils cost more then spacers... Oh well, sucks for me I guess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.