DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4.56 gear swap help PLEASE

18K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  steveb8699 
#1 ·
I've got a 2012 ram 1500 4x4. Put a 6" lift and 35's on it. Would like to go to a 4.56 gear. I have read a lil about it but would like a good explanation about it. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks

#4 ·
What gears do you have stock? Are you sure you want to go to 4.56's with only 35's? That's going to be very low geared just to let you know. I'd recommend using a gear ratio calculator such as this one - Grimmjeeper, in put all your information and then you'll be able to compare your RPM differences at different speeds. For 35's I'd sooner recommend 4.11's

As bavedoggs started to mention, you can't just swap gears in a 2012 4x4. First you need a front diff from a 2011 Ram. Then both the front and rear diff will need to be machined in order to receive the larger gears. Then the ring and pinion need to be installed. If I recall correctly I think Andrew said it's about a $3500 job or so. But talk to him in the link lowUFO posted and he'll get you all the details.

#12 ·
What gears do you have stock? Are you sure you want to go to 4.56's with only 35's? That's going to be very low geared just to let you know.
It's low, but it ain't THAT low. I have a 4 1/2" lift and 35's on my Ramcharger; 318 Magnum, A518 tranny, NP241 t-case, factory axles & 4.56 gears. Unless you're doing a LOTTA interstate driving, 4.56 will serve you MUCH better in city driving, hilly driving, or offroad - especially if you have an automatic.

Don't know what your newer truck uses for axles, but 4.56 works well for me around Pittsburgh, and offroad.

#5 ·
i've run 4.56's with 30" tall tires an love it (275/60-17's)...with 35's it would be a great combo, it will feel like stock again... I ran 3.92's stock and making a jump to 4.10's just wouldn't make sense.

#6 ·
Anyone needing gears for a 2012 as stated if you are 4x4 you will need to get a front axle from a 2011 or 2010, then you will need to do a gear swap, if you are wanting to do Yukon they do not make a 4.56 for the front axles anymore so you will need to go with a USA Standard gear set it is pretty much the same as Yukon (owned by the same company and manufactured by the same company) just a little cheaper (but not much)

You will also likely need complete overhaul kit.

As for having to have stuff machined you will need to have the carrier machined to accept the new bolt this is not that big of a deal, most Jeep shops will know what to do as they have to do it a lot, some of them even machine it in house and do not have to out source it.

As far as the parts you will need they are listed below

Yukon setup w/ overhaul kits (rear Yukon gear front USA Standard Gear, Yukon install kits)

Front

Yukon overhaul kit part number -YK C8.0-IFS-C
USA Standard Gear part number - ZG C8.0-456

Rear

Yukon overhaul kit part number - YK C9.25-R-B
Yukon Rear Gear part number - YG C9.25-456
(if you want both Gear to match then the USA Standard rear gear part number is ZG C9.25-456 )

If you have any questions about parts or would like to place an order just visit our website or reach out to us in our vendor section, or by PM here on the boards, you can also email us direct at sales@bullysperformance.com or call us toll free at 855-432-FAST!

If you want to do gears but would prefer another brand such as G2 or Motive we can get you hooked up with those as well :)

Thanks
Jeremiah

#21 ·
I know that this is 7-8 years later (better late than never), but I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel. I have installed the AEV Ram Recruit package on it, along with a lot of other upgrades. I have 35 inch tires and a 4 inch leveled lift. the truck came with the factory Mopar 3.55 gears and a Limited Slip Differential. It also has the 4x4. I do a lot of towing with our camper, so having a lower gear will likely make a huge difference.

I would like to do a 4.56 gear swap. My question for you is since this is a 4x4, do I need to change out any front gears on this truck? I have been researching online, and all I can find is rear gear replacement kits, nothing regarding front gears. the last thing I want to do is put my truck in 4x4 mode and tear things up.

Please let me know if you can provide any guidance on this!

Thanks!

Steve

Anyone needing gears for a 2012 as stated if you are 4x4 you will need to get a front axle from a 2011 or 2010, then you will need to do a gear swap, if you are wanting to do Yukon they do not make a 4.56 for the front axles anymore so you will need to go with a USA Standard gear set it is pretty much the same as Yukon (owned by the same company and manufactured by the same company) just a little cheaper (but not much)

You will also likely need complete overhaul kit.

As for having to have stuff machined you will need to have the carrier machined to accept the new bolt this is not that big of a deal, most Jeep shops will know what to do as they have to do it a lot, some of them even machine it in house and do not have to out source it.

As far as the parts you will need they are listed below

Yukon setup w/ overhaul kits (rear Yukon gear front USA Standard Gear, Yukon install kits)

Front

Yukon overhaul kit part number -YK C8.0-IFS-C
USA Standard Gear part number - ZG C8.0-456

Rear

Yukon overhaul kit part number - YK C9.25-R-B
Yukon Rear Gear part number - YG C9.25-456
(if you want both Gear to match then the USA Standard rear gear part number is ZG C9.25-456 )

If you have any questions about parts or would like to place an order just visit our website or reach out to us in our vendor section, or by PM here on the boards, you can also email us direct at sales@bullysperformance.com or call us toll free at 855-432-FAST!

If you want to do gears but would prefer another brand such as G2 or Motive we can get you hooked up with those as well :)

Thanks
Jeremiah

#7 ·
I have a 2012 Ram 4x4 with a 6" RCX lift and 37" tires. I just place the order for the 4.56 gears today, which are being done by the same guy that did Andrews. Basically the same info as already mentioned above, but here's a current price break down.
Front diff housing from the wreckers is $600, out of a 2011, front drive shaft is $150
Front gears are $375, install kit is $460 Rear gears are $350,install kit is $180
New ring gear screws are $130
Oil & cleaners are $50
Labour to install all this is $1105
TOTAL $3400 PLUS TAXES(CAN)

#13 ·
only 35's...really? I ran around with 30" tall tires with 4.56's for years...I geared higher when I really started modding...

#14 ·
I agree that 4.56s are unnecessarily low for 35s. Considering how much power the Hemi has and that the OP has a 6 (ok, really a 5) speed, he doesn't need to gear as low as he would if he had a truck 25 to 30 years ago with 150hp and a 3 speed transmission. I mean yeah he could go to 5.88s too but why make your truck turn 4,000 RPMs at 65 when you don't need to?

For 35s I wouldn't go lower than 4.10s, but even 3.92s would be alright. FWIW I have 3.21s with 33s

#15 ·
its all a matter of perspective...I have a friend who had an 05 with 3.92 gears, he bought a 2014 with 3.21's with stock 20's (32"-33")...he says the new truck drives like a dog compared to his old truck...what you may think is satisfactory performance is not to others... for the op to be asking about 4.56's means his truck drives like a dog with 35's, if he asked that he did not care about performance I'd say yes, do a taller gear like 4.10's.. as a person who has used 4.56's, I'd say it was well worth the upgrade...

#16 ·
The 3.21 is most often paired with the 8sp and the first gear is like 4.71 which makes the final ratio 15.11:1 which is significantly lower than what you even get with the 545RFE which has a 3:1 first gear and when paired with a 3.92 gives you final ratio 11.76:1.

That said, everyone is going to have performance standards and most often they are not the same.

#17 ·
true...with as many gears as the 4th gens have..it probably does make a difference having taller gears. I need to have my buddy romp on his when I ride in it next but I could tell now that it will pale next to my 05 :)

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.