DODGE RAM FORUM banner

24" magnaflow too quiet???

12K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
I'm finally ready to order a muffler and while I originally thought I'd get a 14" or maybe 18" muffler, I've decided that as much as I drive and travel I don't want obnoxious noise at cruise rpm's. I want it to sound good under load though. Is anyone out there using a 22" or 24" magnaflow? Is it still mean sounding at WOT?

Thanks.

#29 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to order an 18", worst case is that it's too loud and if that happens I'll get a bigger muffler, cut the old one off, weld the new one on, and I'll sell the old one for half price and be out ~$35.

#30 ·
Post up a sound clip once you get it installed.

#31 ·
Will do. I'm going to order it tonight, then install it when I have my buddy around to help(I am new to welding). Will probably be a month or so. I'm debating if it's ok to use my MIG welder on it(flux core) or use his TIG. I'm pretty sure I can weld SS with mine I just need to get a different spool of wire, but I'm not positive.

#32 ·
Alright everyone so my wife wants me to get a 14" lol. So I'm going to listen to her. Now I ran across VMS Racing Mufflers which is basically a magnaflow knock off, it is all stainless, basically identical, but half the price. Anyone ever hear of them or use them? I'm going to decide between the 14" VMS or the 14" magnaflow and order tomorrow, just wanting to know if anyone has heard of VMS, they seem pretty legitamate and I even found some reviews on mustang forums and bronco forums and such. But it seems too good to be true.

#38 ·
At this time I don't want a cutout just due to cost, but that would be great...

I think I'll be the guinea pig, lol. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I think I really want an 18" muffler(this magnaflow knockoff only comes in a 14"), and even though I decided to get a 14" due to the wife, this knockoff is actually a smaller case than the magnaflow so it will be louder. It's all good though, I'll try it out and see how I like it, hopefully it won't be too loud for me. 24" to 14" was a big jump lol.

#42 ·
I went ahead and bought it.

Once it comes in I'll measure the offset from inlet to outlet and compare to the offset of the stock pipe from where it enters the muffler to exits the muffler. I may need to buy some 3" SS pipe and mandrel elbows, but want to measure first because 3" mandrel bends are EXPENSIVE.

#44 ·

It is 14" long, and roughly 4"x8" oval I think. A little smaller than the magnaflow(so probably a little louder).

It is actually a nice piece, all 304 SS inside and out, the welds seem ok, only thing is it's made in china which I didn't realize when I bought it. If I had known I wouldn't have bought it probably. In any case I have it and it seems like a good piece. Hell of a deal for less than $40.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.