DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need new heads... maybe upgrade cam

890 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  nicraage 
#1 · (Edited)
I was almost ready to post some bragging pics here, and the worst case scenario happened :doh:. My questions will be the last 2 paragraphs, if your not interested in the rest:

I had a 2001 4x4 shipped to me in Honduras. put on lift kit, 35" tires, had transmission rebuilt, had the 5.2 completely rebuilt .030 over with aluminum plenum and had the air intake mod and kegger mod. I put a CAI on. Had dual exhaust run to a muffler with an internal x pipe, and a custom steel bumper made. Painted flat black, with black tint on all windows including the front.

A couple weeks ago I drove a couple hours away and my temp showed 3/4, higher than ever. Radiator was bone dry. Next morning I filled it, and couldnt find a leak. Had to add a few gallons every morning since then. One day I started the engine and I heard grinding. First though was my engine seized, panicked. finally started, but engine sounded smooth after running. Oil looked fine and clean. I heard the noise a few more times and thought it was a starter, so I ordered one and took it to my mechanic.

Synopsis... gasket failed on the end and leaked into the #8 cylinder. Gasket appears to have basically split. I think I used FELPRO. I have scratches in 2 cyliners that show signs of high heat, which I assume happened on the long trip with no water.

I'm told now I also need new heads. I don't know much about heads, but Have read this is a good time to upgrade horsepower. Also I can put a high performance CAM in, that will need rockers and different valve covers. I really don't know what I'm looking at with heads, and this is over mine (my head). Aluminum or cast? I found odessa heads on ebay which I've read a lot on (link below and it has valves). I've also read about cific international heads, which are supposed to be beefed up in some weak areas (quoted $208 each, but will verify during business hours).

Now for upgrading the Camshaft. I've read a bunch on this, and I'm lost. What all do I need (pushrods, etc), and what can I do for around $1000-1200 total (with heads)? Is that a reasonable budge, if not I'm flexible) Oh yeah,, and what type of gaskets?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.