DODGE RAM FORUM banner

anyone do JUST a muffler delete ?

14K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Ydoutaz 
#1 ·
as in replacing the muffler with 'straight pipe', leaving stock resonator.

(or maybe you removed resonator too)

wondering how good / bad that sounds...
I don't mind loud if the sound is good.

#4 ·
OK well I have done this;
and not surprisingly,
the sound is not that great .

typical V6 "blatt" sound.. ugh..
not *too* loud, but does resonate louder at certain rpm's..
and burbles / pops on overrun.

I will try swapping in a (spare) 3" flowmaster small chamber or a 'cherry bomb' -
hopefully one will knock down the blatt

#5 ·
the one muffler I would consider is the shorter round dynomax superturbo. I have found these to be very near stock sound but flow way better than stock. If it turned out to be a bit noisy, I'd replace the second muffler with another similar configuration superturbo.

did you note any mpg diff with the delete?

#6 ·
thanks juma for the suggestion.

I *just* did this only 4 days ago, so havent seen any trends.

but I would be *really* surprised if there was any measurable FE gain (or loss) from this mod...

#10 ·
I replaced the stock muffler with the Mufflex single exhaust aggressive system. I'm very pleased with the sound, no drone and there's just enough sound at a low tone that it sounds good. It does have a louder note when you hang your foot in it and that is what I wanted. It does not sound like a pissed off chainsaw which I have heard a few V6's sound like.

I contacted Mufflex and they said that they didn't have a system for the 3.6, after doing a little research everything I found said that the 3.6 and 5.7 used the same size pipe so I just went ahead and ordered it. It fit like a glove, took about 15 minutes to put in on my lift.

#14 · (Edited)
Do you know how much difference there is between the levels of Mufflex exhaust??? I want something that has some sound with it but nothing crazy annoying. It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of options for us 3.6L guys as far as aftermarket exhausts.

#11 ·
I have since replaced the 'straight pipe' with a 3" in/out "Cherry Bomb" round muffler from Thrush

eliminated most all of the 'blatt';
sounds good, like a sports car, but not like a v8 ;)

#12 ·
I know this is a 3.6 discussion, but figured I'd add my exhaust experience. Tried a straight pipe for a week; was so loud in the cab on the highway I couldn't hear myself think. Then installed an AeroStealth 170. Worked okay, but later went with a Magnaflow 12279. It's a little bit quieter; still throaty though. Also made a branch resonator to kill the resonance in the cab that always occurred at 1900 rpm. Bad spot for resonance 'cuz that's 70mph in 5th gear...
The closest I got a V6 to sounding like a V8 was with a Flowmaster Delta 40 on my 04 Taurus.
It's been a couple months Hemi HFE, how's the Cherry Bomb?

#13 ·
truck was in storage over the winter, back out now.

Loving it, and LOVING the sound :)

Muffler is a Thrush 24242 3" in/out... also available in SS for a bit more ;)

#16 ·
Hi ahill37,

Just a question concerning the Mufflex agressive system: Is it really more noisy than stock configuration?

I think to do the same but i dont know if it's better to take the moderate or agressive mufflex. (My country/police is really not happy with noisy vehicle...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.