DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Catch Can install for the Pentastar V6

15K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  pareiraregan20143.6l 
#1 · (Edited)
When I removed my engine cover, I found a small puddle of oil at the Throttle Body, oil in the engine cover and in the PCV line. I had only 2000 miles on the truck and none of them were hard driven miles. (no WOT)

I ordered and installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on my 2013 Pentastar 3.6L V6 Engine. I found very little information on installing a Catch Can for the Pentastar Engine.

No one makes a Catch Can Kit for a Ram truck with the Pentastar V6 engine, so I went and ordered a Catch Can Kit from BT. Part # (Billet Technology Signature Series Catch Can 2011 and up Jeep 5.7L, Jeep 6.4L and Durango 5.7L)

The kit comes with 1 Catch Can and mounting bracket, 2 hoses 1/2", 1 double male brass hose connector 1/2" with barbed ends, and 2 screws.

I had to purchase (1) 1/2" brass 90` fitting and (2) 1/2" brass male hose connectors with barbed ends. These 3 parts make up a 90` hose fitting and were purchased at Home Depot.

I mounted the Catch Can on the side of the TIPM wiring box using one existing hole and drilling one additional hole. I used 5/16" hardware.

I removed the PCV hose from the engine cover and cut off 6". Next I inserted the supplied 1/2" double male barbed connector into the outlet end of the PCV hose (one you just cut) coming from the back of the engine. Next attach the supplied 1/2" hose to the connector and run it to the inlet side of the Catch Can.

Next assemble the 3 brass parts to make up the 90` fitting and take the other end of the cut hose (cut down so the brass barbed end just fits) and insert into the barbed fitting. Connect the supplied hose to the 90` fitting and to the outlet side of the Catch Can. Connect the other end to the inlet on the engine cover.

I took 17 pictures and I have them in order of progression with captions.

See the pictures here: http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/gcscott/library/Catch%20Can%20Install%20Pictures?sort=6&page=1

Total cost was about $150

Any questions just ask.

Greg

See less See more
#3 ·
Line #3 in my post.

No one makes a Catch Can Kit for a Ram truck with the Pentastar V6 engine, so I went and ordered a Catch Can Kit from BT. Part # (Billet Technology Signature Series Catch Can 2011 and up Jeep 5.7L, Jeep 6.4L and Durango 5.7L)

Go to there site. The instructions that come with the kit are for a 5.7 hemi engine so you will have to MOD the kit to get it to work. That is what I did in my post. My biggest concern was the inside diameter of the hoses that came with the kit. The hoses were the correct size that I needed and extra long and needed to be cut down.

Greg

#4 ·
ok I really hate to ask because there is no good way to say this, are you sure thats the PCV valve hose. If you look at

On my truck I have on that second hose on the left side of the engine if you go back from the throttle body, a parts label on the hose, for part 68083250AA-H which from a simple google search pulls up as a Hose, PCV. I bought a catch can and was going to install it today, I think me and a buddy spent a solid hour debating which hose was the PCV hose, he thought it was the one you used at first and I thought it was the one on the left side of the engine and then I figured well hell there is a part number on the hose just pull it up and it seems to think it is a PCV hose. I've search the internet high and low and as far as I can tell you are the only person to have put the catch can on a ram 1500 3.6L and live to tell the tale, so to speak. Not trying to insult you or cause problems just want to make absolutely certain I have the right hose before I start cutting things and drilling holes into my new truck.

#5 · (Edited)
I used the hose that is labeled in the picture and I am not 100% sure it is the correct hose. I found oil in the front of my throttle body and the only way the oil could of got there was through this hose that enters the engine intake cover. I also had oil in my engine cover and I cleaned that out using a paper towel which came out with oil on it.

When I did the catch can I had no information on where to attach the hoses that is why I used this hose. I read through many threads on other forums for Pentastar V6 catch cans (none were for the Ram Truck) and picked this hose.

I am not the only one to use this hose. You can look here at another install thread. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=168143

If I have the wrong hose please let me know and please post pictures of what hose you used and do a write up of what you did.

I would like to see more people post what they do to their Pentastar V6 trucks.

Greg

#7 ·
the PCV line is always plugged in after the throttle plate.

the line you used is to suck air into the engine to circulate back to the intake through the pcv system. It can still get oil in it if the system is not sucking and it normally doesn't suck sometimes which will allow oil to come out there too.

so, the catch can has to be plumbed into the other line pointed out by gcscott.

#8 ·
Sorry just trying to understand better, when you say throttle plate are you talking about the throttle body? I've had the catchcan sitting in the back of my truck for a while now, haven't felt good about where its suppose to go so haven't done anything with it yet.

#10 · (Edited)
Got this from Car & Driver article. (Still searching for engine drawing/pcv). The Pentastar is also more compact than the engines it replaces. Chrysler used torque-activated cam phasers that minimize cylinder-head width, so these DOHC heads are no wider than the SOHC heads on prior engines. There’s also a neat space-saving innovation for the PCV system. It employs a camshaft-mounted centrifuge that spins to separate oil from crankcase blowby gasses. The design eliminates the need for larger PCV system plumbing, which Chrysler says shaves two inches off the Pentastar’s height. An added benefit: smaller engines leave more crush space in the engine bay, improving crash-test performance.

#13 ·
yes, every manufacturer using direct injection is trying to find a way to get the oil out of the vapor emitted from the engine venting system. the system described above is supposed to do something like what a catch can does - condense the oil and keep it in the engine but let the other gases leave thru the pcv system and be burned up. the diff is the catch can condenses the oil outside the engine and you have to drain and dispose of it.

#16 ·
1) Not 100% positive, he has pulled oil from there, and others are using that line, but I personally haven't found any sort of engine diagram to confirm it and I have a hose that goes to the engine with a part number for a PCV hose that goes to a different location, but could be for something else.

2) Based on the engine design with the centrifuge it is much less necessary than say the Hemi, which uses oil like a BP drilling station, but any oil you catch is potentially saving your engine *shrug*

That said I haven't put mine on for lack of confidence/clarification, I'm about to spend the cash to take it to the dealer and have him tell me where the damn thing is.

#17 ·
Has anyone cleared this out ? I had somebody trying to help me posting a video of a guy with a charger..also a pentastar but I’m not so confident..the hose could be set up differently...if you guys installed the CC do you mind post a video or some photo ? I want to install it too just too afraid of screwing things up !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.