DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What is your plan for your Pentastar Exhaust?

36K views 72 replies 39 participants last post by  @Lex87 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, blackrain86 was kind enough to share his mod of putting the Hemi muffler back exhaust and bumper on his Pentastar which looks and sounds great. I plan on doing something with mine when it comes in and the hemi exhaust look is one of the choices. My truck is an outdoorsman which even with the hemi is a single out to the side. I have thought about just changing the muffler to a single in, dual out and having my muffler shop run the pipes out the same side. And finish it with black tips. The picture shows what I mean. So what are some other ideas you guys have for yours?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As i don't plan on replacing my bumper to a factory dual exhaust cutout bumper, I'm hoping to pull teh trigger on a single in/dual out and split the pipes out the rear corners. With my current love for the chrome accents, i'll be going for chrome or polished tips.

The hardest part will be finding a muffler that sounds good with the 6cyl.

#3 ·
As i don't plan on replacing my bumper to a factory dual exhaust cutout bumper, I'm hoping to pull teh trigger on a single in/dual out and split the pipes out the rear corners. With my current love for the chrome accents, i'll be going for chrome or polished tips.

The hardest part will be finding a muffler that sounds good with the 6cyl.
Yes I agree on the muffler part. Maybe someone will chime in. Otherwise I am hoping by the time It comes my local muffler shop will have done some of them and can make suggestions

#4 ·
v6 Exhaust

I like some of the others want the dual exhaust "look" of the HEMI. I have tried to find a used dual exhaust but the difficulty seems to be finding someone willing to ship a exhaust which seems unlikely.

blackrain indicated that the HEMI exhaust should be a direct bolt on to the v6 pipe. I am thinking about getting a stainless steel catback.

The next issue is the bumper and as we all know if a vehicle is hit it is usually front or rear so finding a good perfect bumper. I will likely buy a new one.

#5 ·
I like some of the others want the dual exhaust "look" of the HEMI. I have tried to find a used dual exhaust but the difficulty seems to be finding someone willing to ship a exhaust which seems unlikely.

blackrain indicated that the HEMI exhaust should be a direct bolt on to the v6 pipe. I am thinking about getting a stainless steel catback.

The next issue is the bumper and as we all know if a vehicle is hit it is usually front or rear so finding a good perfect bumper. I will likely buy a new one.
I have been able to find a bumper and hemi mufflers on craigslist in my area, but not the tail pipes. I started researching some muffler options last night on flowmaster and magnaflow sites and they are around $150. I have found two slightly used Hemi mufflers for $75 on craigslist. I think I'll go that route.

#6 ·
I bought an after market bumper on Ebay for $247, it looks identical to OEM. I found the whole exhaust system from a Hemi truck for $250, with $150 of that being just for shipping. I also found the exhaust hanger I needed for $12 on ebay. Now all I have to do is install it all, the weather around here has been BRUTALLY COLD!

Keep looking and be patient, you can find it all for far less then buying new.

#11 ·
my thought would be to try to increase low rpm torque for better cruising mileage. I think the best approach would be the dynomax 17789 turbo muff. Should be able to loosen clamps on a newer RAM and take the old muff out and replace with this one. Might need a hanger to be welded to the muffler at the rear to stabilize it. I've found postings on other forums where people used this one in place of stock with no problems. Should be quiet as stock and flow way better. It is aluminized steel and won't last as long as stock but replacing every few years should be easy. Best price I saw was advance auto.

#16 ·
Should be able to loosen clamps on a newer RAM and take the old muff out and replace with this one.
+1

my OE muffler came off pretty easy with some whacks from a chunk of 4x4 ..

my truck has >6k miles including at least 1 salty winter...
very little corrosion anywhere, yet

my mechanic *was* a little surprised that it came off that easy.

PS replacing OE (giant) muff with straight pipe yields a 'blatty' / poor-sounding exhaust note... AMHIK

#12 · (Edited)
Well my plans have changed. I was able to find a killer deal on the complete cat-back hemi exhaust from another member on this site. He took it off with only 3,600 miles on it and put on a borla exhaust I believe. For $150 plus $75 for shipping I had to get it. Now I need to find myself a bumper with the cut outs and I will be installing this sweet mod. One thing I want to do that I think will look cool is get the exhaust tips powder coated black. That will match all the black on the truck and look cool with the chrome bumper I think. I will certainly update after I have completed this.

#33 ·
Stock is plenty good enough.

+1, The stock set up is perfect for me, no drone and no noise. In fact the pipes coming off manifolds to the Y-pipe are works of art, and the muffler is HUGE (more volume)so no need for "performance six cylinder drone" muffler.:wavey:

#15 ·
The hemi exhaust on the 3.6 does sound decent on video , the poster did say there was a small drone at certain rpm . I thought about bending the tailpipes down slightly to work with the factory bumper on the v6. It's sad that Flowmaster and magnaflow both make a cat backs but offer no sound clips or numbers even though they obviously used a truck to produce

#17 ·
Pentastar HEMI Dual Exhaust

Just to weigh in on the removal, mine was fairly easy as well. I was surprised because my exhaust removal in the past has been with a torch.:doh:

I think the key is in the flat clamps versus a U-bolt clamp which causes a groove in the mating pipe.

#18 ·
I replaced mine this weekend with the aggressive single system from Mufflex. I ordered the one for the 5.7 and it fit fine. I like the sound, low tone, not high and buzzing like a pissed off chainsaw. I have to haul a loaded trailer on Thursday this week, I'm curious to see what it sounds like with a 6000lb loud behind it.

#21 ·
so far I'm liking my Thrush 'cherry bomb' #24242 3" in / out;
it was like 32$ at local auto discount parts store...

had it welded in so didnt even have to buy clamps ;)

there is a nice stainless steel version for a bit more $$

#22 ·
I ordered a 2015 Ram Laramie 1500 4x4 quad cab with a pentastar motor - best decision ever - and I had the dealer install a dual exhaust system with the bumper cutouts (looks just like a Hemi setup from the factory - exact).

Now as to the sound and exhaust note - the rumble and sound is louder than the Hemi and I kid you not. I am told they opted for a Flowmaster muffler (series 40) - check the Flowmaster website (http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=10995) and you'll see what I am speaking about. The series that fit my system range from 40 series (loudest) to 50 series (mid-range) to 70 series (factory sound) - I am taking it in next week to tone it down to the 70 series - it is that loud! After this experience the rumble and exhaust note is all about the make up of the exhaust system and the components you have. Don't let anyone ever tell you a 6 cylinder pentastar can't sound deep and thunderous. The 40 series mufflers from Flowmaster are as they put it "aggressive" and "noticeable". Very happy that I have the dual exhaust but have little interest in this loud exhaust note.

#23 ·
I wonder if you got the Sport muffler??? I did the same setup you did, at first I installed the sport muffler and your not kidding...it was LOUD...lol

I then switched it out to the other muffler that comes with all the other Hemi setups, it still rumbles but its quieter then the sport muffler, and I to still might look into making it a little quieter. Let me know if you do go with the 70 series and how it sounds.

#29 · (Edited)
#30 ·
Well I just got my truck back from the dealer. I had a Flowmaster dual exhaust installed on my 2015 1500 Laramie 4x4 quad cab with the pentastar motor. The first configuration had the 40 series muffler on it and it was way to loud for my taste - much more of rumble than even the Hemi - I know as I test drove both before I ordered my truck. I had a 70 series muffler put on and it sounds exactly like the factory dual exhaust that comes with the Hemi 5.7. - I am not exaggerating - The sound now is a low rumble - much more appealing and at highway speeds smooth and low. This truck is now absolutely perfect - the pentastar is fabulous and sounds great

#35 ·
I had the dealer install a Flowmaster dual exhaust system with the rear bumper with cutouts on my 2015 Laramie 4x4 and I love it! No put down to Hemi owners but it honestly sounds better than the factory Hemi setup. The rumble is pronounced but not over the top and it sounds great when I put my foot down. Very happy with this modification sounds great and looks even better!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.