DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Larger tires how's the MPG/Performance?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  00000 
#1 ·
For those with the 3.6, what's it like if you have gotten larger than stock tires? Did the mpg and performance suffer that much? I have an outdoorsman CC with the 3.55 gears. I haven't seen any comments with people who have this engine and modified their Ram with lift and/or larger tires. Thanks

#2 ·
I have a 3.6 4x4 with the 3.21 gears. So far I've added the ranch hand bumpers, bilistien 5100's set at 2.1 and added 275/70/R18 BFG rugged terrains. So far no real loss in power and about 1 mpg worse on the highway and no real change in terms of city. At 70 mph in mild highway traffic I can still average about 22mpg. Also I did replace the exhaust with a dual system. Right now im doing 60% highway and 40% city and averaging 19.2mpg.

#3 ·
Years back I'd often buy taller tires for my vehicles because they were geared more for acceleration than for economy and for quiet on the highway. Nowadays manufacturers are going in the other direction. When my tires need replacing I might well go with shorter (smaller diameter) tires on the same rims just because I find this truck absurdly tall for a 2wd. I have the 3.21 and doubt I'd lose much mileage.

It is possible these trucks were tuned for the economy sweet spot and will get worse mileage with both larger and smaller tires. Does anybody know if that is so?

#4 · (Edited)
I also have 18" wheels (18x9). However I have the slightly smaller diameter of the 275/65/18 than ksarnecki's truck. Mine is a 2014 Pentastar with 3.55 gearing.

I did loose about 1-2 MPG on the freeway/highway, but no difference in city driving. The difference came from the added rolling resistance of my Cooper Discoverer AT3's as my wheel/tire weight is very similar to stock since I went with P-rated tires. Truck gets 17 city/20 mixed driving/23-24 freeway (depending on how fast I drive)

ksarnecki's experience/mileage is almost a mirror image to mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.