DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Air Intake Mod?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  hesm70 
#1 ·
Has anyone put on a an aftermarket or custom intake on your 3.6 yet?

I was thinking of getting an aftermarket kit (e.g volant) for a 5.7 and modifying the tube.

Other thing I was thinking of is painting the top of the air intake and engine cover and then put in a new tube between the airbox and the intake. Its 3.75" ID and just under 12" long. It isn't perfectly straight but very close.
I was thinking either a chrome pipe and two couplers or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350819131640?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This would be less restrictive than the current flexible tubing that comes with it.

Any thoughts? Worth it?

Anyone know a good place to get cheap air intake components? e.g. couplers, bubble couplers, and individual tubes?

#2 ·
The tube on EBay is a cheep thing to try. My only thing is that it has to be able to flex and maybe stretch with the engine movement. The engine movement shouldn't be to much.

I have not seen any CAI for the Pentastar for the Ram's.

I would like to see what you come up with. I think the hard part is where the tube goes into the throttle body. Don't forget about the air sensor.

Good luck and take pictures.

Greg

#3 ·
Airaid has one for the RAM Pentastar...

About adapting a 5.7 kit, I too like the idea. The Vararam Air Grabber looks real nice and verydirect into the intake, but makes you wonder how much mod is required to make it fit. Adding a scoop would be interesting too!

#5 ·
Has anyone tried the Airaid cold air intake yet?? Im looking into buying one, but still on the fence. Emailed them about any dyno results and got a response from Airaid stating that they have dyno'd the 3.6 v6 with an increase of 12HP and 15LBS of TQ over stock. May be worth the $297.00 price tag...

#9 ·
Ya the more I look at the Airaid it looks like it only has filter and box which uses the stock intake locations and tubes. Not sure how they are increasing it that much with just opening the box and putting a new filter in, however Im not and engineer or mechanic haha. Thinking JUMA may be on to something.

#10 ·
CAI for 3.6L

I was looking at my 3.6L stock air inlet. What a maze. I can't see how it could hurt to get the air a better shot to the throttle body.

I started to reasearch CAI for 2013-2014 Jeeps with 3.6L. It seems that there are all kinds out there from Banks, K&N, AFE and a few more. Most of these have a straight pipe with a 90 degree elbow coming the the passenger side as the original air box.

My concerns would be the following:

1) The Jeep is more narrow so there may need to be some creativity when getting to the fender.

2) Not sure if it would require additional clean up to ensure no water intrusion to the above.

It seems about a $300 option for 10-12HP and 10-12 TRQ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.