DODGE RAM FORUM banner

First time oil change

8K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  badpewterz 
#1 ·
I am planning to do my first oil change, just want to make sure I undo the correct motor oil drain plug. I have enclosed a picture of what I think is the correct drain plug. Sorry for the dumb question.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Holy Shcmoly, you're going to change the oil on a new truck and you have to ask where the drain plug is? I'm really not trying to be sarcastic but maybe you're better off spending a couple of bucks and have the dealer do it.

When it's out of warrenty, that's the time to start learning on you truck. IMHO

#9 ·
Got to change my oil this weekend, it wasn't too difficult at all, once I got all the tools I need. The odometer was at 2,500 miles when I change the oil.

List of tools & parts:
-1/2" wrench for the motor oil drain plug
-15/16" socket for the oil filter housing
-breaker bar (optional, makes it easier to loosen the oil filter cap)
-long neck funnel (a regular short one requires one hand holding it while you filling)
-5W-20 synthetic oil 6 quarts
-oil filter MO-349

When done, just reset the oil life indicator.

#13 · (Edited)
Now that is a great tip! Spin on filters seem to be gone. I don't like these canister type, but reckon they save money.

Oh, by the way, do not use that high mileage oil! You never really need it, unless you have a really high mileage truck that leaks a bit of oil. Only difference is that it has something in it that swells the gaskets a bit. If you use it much, you'll have to keep using it! Ye gaskets will shrink if you stop using it, then you will have an oil leak. My '93 Dakota has way over 200,000 miles and I've never used that so called high mileage oil. One time won't hurt, just don't use it again.

#14 · (Edited)
24mm vs 15/16th for oil canister

I have yet to change mine yet, but my 15 16th was too small (I tried it out of knowing which one it was)....
I read in another write up it had to be a 24mm socket, and 13mm for the drain plug.

Everything else i've already gotten. MO-349 IS the correct filter.

anyone else remember what socket you used????????

#15 ·
Confirm anyone????

I have yet to change mine yet, but my 15 16th was too small (I tried it out of knowing which one it was)....
I read in another write up it had to be a 24mm socket, and 13mm for the drain plug.

Everything else i've already gotten. MO-349 IS the correct filter.

anyone else remember what socket you used????????

#18 ·
I just changed mine today.....1/2" drain plug......15/16" oil filter cap. Screw on filter cap until it stops....DON'T TORQUE IT!!!!!! RAM mechanic said that's why the oil filter/oil cooler plastic thing is cracking, because people tighten the cap TOO TIGHT.

#19 ·
I used to do my own oil changes (between 3,000 to 4,000 miles or 100 hours) but no more. With the difference in total cost usually less than $10 I just take it to the dealer. Changing the oil/filter on my 2500 Cummins is pretty easy since there's a lot of room under the truck. The new 1500 is a lot different because it's a PITA getting under the truck, especially with the nerf bars installed.

But, the real reason is I'm getting old and lazy.

#22 ·
I just did mine the other day for the first time.I was reading in here on one of the threads to change the filter first then drain the oil.I don't know if it makes a difference but that is what I did.I also know it says 6 quarts but mine took 6 1/2 to get it up to the full Mark.

#25 ·
Not true at all, that would be ridiculous. I've been changing oilin my Hemi and Pentastar since I got them and have never had any issues

#27 ·
I mean, if you filled the engine with canola oil then sure, but changing your own oil doesn't void your warranty. Sounds like they just want to scare you into paying them for service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.