DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My V6 4x4 Crew MPG so far

17K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  gmcvb 
#1 ·
The truck has less than 400 miles on it, so its just getting broke in.

It is a Outdoorsman CrewCab 4x4, 3.55 with LSD and on/off road tires.
With about 50/50 city hwy, I am averaging 17.5 MPG. I did a quick road trip of 200 and it reported 19 MPG. Most at 70 mph.

I am happy with this so far, but am hoping I get 1 - 2 more once it gets broke in and warms up here (since it decided to snow again).

Almost anything is better than my 98 ram that got 10 - 11 MPG.

#2 ·
Not bad. The MPG will definetly go up when it is broken in. I know you didnt but it for power but how does it do? It has an 8-speed right?

#4 ·
I came from a 98 Dodge Ram with the 5.9. Yes its the V6 with an 8 speed. The V6, 8speed is faster and more nimble then the old dodge. I have drove a 2009 ford and the 5.7 with the 6 speed. The V6 8 speed doesn't throw you back like the 5.7, but once you hit about 2 - 3k RPMs you have more than enough power for everything you need. I just like how the 8 speed works. It is so smooth, you do feel it drop down gears when it down shifts. The gears are so close together that it is just smooth.

Compared to the 2009 Ford or the 5.7 with the 6 speed, I would drive the V6 8 speed any day.

One of my good friends has a newer Audi S5 with a V8. He thought it was fast and smooth, so I figure that's a good test. :)

#5 · (Edited)
I have the V6 with the 8 speed transmission (mine is a quad 4X4 though) and I have been averaging between 10-11.5 L/100 km (which is 23.52 MPG to 20.45 MPG) and currently have rougly 1000 km (or 621 miles) on it. I've found the best way so far is to keep the Fuel economy screen up and watch my driving habits directly effect the MPG....you tend to take it a little easier lol.

#6 ·
I have the same truck crew 4x4 slt with the pentastar with 7000km on it. I havent noticed any improvement over fuel economy as I "break" in the engine.

My EVIC avg states 9.7L/100km or 24 MPG

I have gotten down to the rated 8.5L/100km driving 96km home from work which was 90% highway....I can't complain just did a fishing trip to North East Ontario 700km one way and only used 158L of fuel plus to and from work totalling 1600km (994miles) of 158L which is right around 9.9L/100km or 23.8MPG....Cant complain considering my buddies 2007 Silverado stopped to fill up 3x hahahahahaha

It does what i need it to do and it has great pick up for a V6 with a turbo...

#7 ·
I have the same truck crew 4x4 slt with the pentastar with 7000km on it. I havent noticed any improvement over fuel economy as I "break" in the engine.

My EVIC avg states 9.7L/100km or 24 MPG

I have gotten down to the rated 8.5L/100km driving 96km home from work which was 90% highway....I can't complain just did a fishing trip to North East Ontario 700km one way and only used 158L of fuel plus to and from work totalling 1600km (994miles) of 158L which is right around 9.9L/100km or 23.8MPG....Cant complain considering my buddies 2007 Silverado stopped to fill up 3x hahahahahaha

It does what i need it to do and it has great pick up for a V6 with a turbo...
They don't have a turbo.

#12 · (Edited)
I was planning on getting 22's soon for my truck, abit worried now after reading your post. Do you know the weight difference of your 22's vs the stock 20's? I only have 1800 km on my 2wd, and do mostly city. I am seeing about13 liter per 100 in the city for the average. One trip I had alot of highway and some city mixed in and had my average at 10.7. I confirmed it when I filled up and it was bang on. Did you notice a immediate change on your evic when you put the 22's on? I have 17's in mine right now, 22's with the 285 45 series tire is bigger then my 17's for tire height, but still shorter than the stock 20's

#15 ·
I was planning on getting 22's soon for my truck, abit worried now after reading your post. Do you know the weight difference of your 22's vs the stock 20's? I only have 1800 km on my 2wd, and do mostly city. I am seeing about13 liter per 100 in the city for the average. One trip I had alot of highway and some city mixed in and had my average at 10.7. I confirmed it when I filled up and it was bang on. Did you notice a immediate change on your evic when you put the 22's on? I have 17's in mine right now, 22's with the 285 45 series tire is bigger then my 17's for tire height, but still shorter than the stock 20's
I think it must be rims and tires that weigh more,I was seeing 11.8km. with stock 17''steelies.I think anything but a forged wheel is going to be more heavy than stock 17'' steel rims.I might be able to get them on a scale soon and see the difference.

#21 ·
What rim/model of tire are you running? Also did you get your dealer to flash your computer after the install? There's a big height difference between your stock tire height and your new one. Maybe double check your mpg when you fill. I am thinking about running 22 45 285 to save a few pounds, but the 305's do look awesome.

#20 ·
Averaging over 21 mpgs since I picked it up 650 miles ago. Mostly driving 20 miles a day on a 55 mph highway with a few stop signs on the way to work. Pretty happy with that. Mines a quad 4x4 with 3.21's. My old 03 reg cab 4x2 with the 4.7 never saw more than 17.5 mpg average doing the same trips to and from work. I wish I would have got 3.55 gears on the new truck. Only regret. Down shifts a little to much for me with a little head wind and small hill. Glad I can lock out 8th gear on the steering wheel.

#22 ·
The gauge says I'm averaging 14.0 per 100 kms so far. This is strictly city driving with some days of stupid "feel like your parked" traffic conditions. Not bad I think for an engine that is not broken in yet (less than 1100 kms on it). Can't wait to try it on the upcoming trip where it will be almost all highway.

#23 ·
Got a 2WD SLT QC here. I am averaging 19.2 MPG with 1700 miles on her right now. This is my first full size truck and never noticed how unlevel the roads are around my area till i starting paying attention to MPG. Nothing big just alot of little inclines and declines. Though my miles are split between city and interstate going about 75 MPH on the interstate.

Also i saw that some are notice hard downshift when slowing down? So that is normal? I notice it as well but was not sure if it was normal or not. does not happen all the time but it happens alot.

#29 ·
First full tank spent (dealer kicked me off the lot with $25 worth of gas)

My numbers (mostly city) are:
Distance mi: 398.3
Avg MPG: 17.5
Avg MPH: 25
Elapsed Time: 15:27:26

(total miles are 524)
Interesting...I get better than that with the Hemi and 8 speed in town. I cracked off 20.3 on my commute to and from work last week (mostly 35-50 mph, traffic light littered drive of 28 miles round trip).

My city average is sitting around 17 city because I can't keep my foot out of the V8 after a couple of cold ones after work.

On a 400 mile round trip, running 80mph with 5 people and loaded down with gear, I averaged 17.4 when the truck had 400 miles on it with 305's all terrain tires.

#28 ·
Just to follow your thread, V6 8 speed quad cab 2X4 just return form a 490 Km ride on the cruise control, 140 km on a 90 Km/h road driving at 98 and 250 of highway at 120 the average is 10.4 L/100Km that would equal in CDN gallons to 27,16 mile per Gal. or 22.6 Mile per Gal. US My RAM got over 8000 Km since the end of May 20, 2013. I tried to drive 2 weeks before this trip at 100 Km/h on Highway and my average was 8.1L/100Km and this is equal to 34,87 Mile per Cdn Gal. Just remember a US gallon is 126 Onces and a Canadian gallon is 160 Onces. and 1 USGL. is 3,7854 L. The only mod I did is to replace the air filter with a K&N large air flow filter.

Have a nice day,

#32 ·
All of this V6 bashing is rather juvenile. I ordered a 2014 Bighorn with a V6 because I test drove it and was very impressed. It has the same HP as my 4.7 L V8 in my 2009 Dakota which gets 13 MPG city and has more tham ample power. I will only be towing a 1200 pound tear drop damper and 95% of my driving is to and from work on city streets so few me the V6 is ideal. I am willing to bet there are many perfectly happy V6 owners out there who don't post because of the bashing from the Hemi folks with inflated MPG claims. This engine won them truck of the year and has many favorable professional reviews. I'll wave at you all as I pass by the gas station! :wavey:

Pentastar and proud of it !

Randy

#36 ·
v6

So far I am getting about 22-23mpg mixed driving average. I think the choice for the v6 has to be based on usage. If you pulling often or pull large loads, then the v6 is probably not the way to go. However, if you rarely pull anything and would like better gas mileage then the v6 is the way to go. It has plenty of power and you can pass a gas station or two. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.