DODGE RAM FORUM banner

I installed the OEM dual exhaust

22K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  Dlb8882 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I finally got around to installing the dual exhaust with the new bumper that has the cutouts. It ended up costing me about $500. This is the muffler and tail pipes with the chrome tips from the Hemi Rams. It sounds pretty good, its a little loud at certain RPMs, but its still extremely quiet on the highway unless I really punch it to get around someone.

It all bolts right on. It took me a while to do but I was taking my sweet time, I'll bet anyone with any experience with exhausts could do this in under 2 hours. The bumper took way longer then I expected as I has to swap out the brackets and the step pad. The bumper was after market off EBay, the fitment was perfect and it looks good, cost was about $250 which is far cheaper then the OEM.

Besides the muffler, tail pipes, exhaust tips and bumper, all you need is 1 exhaust hanger for the passenger side tail pipe.

I tried to post a video on here but it won't let me. If anyone would like to see a short video please PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send you as many videos from any angle that you want.

#2 ·
Nice!!! I think your the first here to actually do it. Ive heard a few people mention doing this or how-to so itll be nice for future use of others.

Good job!!

#3 ·
You should upload a video to youtube then use the "insert link button" (the globe with a chain) to paste it here.

And definitely post some before and after pics when you get the chance. Did you go painted (sport) or chrome bumper?

Good job though! Congrats on the new sound and look!!

#5 ·
Actually I'm not the first to do this, if you check the other topics in the Pentastar forums you'll see that I'm the 2nd person to do this.

I'm not at all familiar with posting anything on YouTube so that's probably not gonna happen. But like I said I'd be happy to send anyone a video, just PM me your email address.

#8 ·
I don't notice any rattle, I am not sure what you mean by pingy. When I hit the gas hard it certainly is much louder then the original exhaust. There is a little drone I think when driving in low speed limit areas like in a residential area with a lot of stop signs, I had a few people go for a ride with me and they think it sounds awesome. Keep in mind I was only after the look, I am not a fan of a louder exhaust, I like it quiet..lol

I am pretty happy with this mod.

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure he either changed the muffler or added a resonator as he didn't like the drone either. When I had the sport muffler, it sounded very good while sitting there idling, it just had drone at some speeds, very annoying. That's why I changed it to the standard Hemi muffler.

#13 ·
Hemi Exhaust on V6

Me too! Standard muffler. My install went well except I purchased a aftermarket bumper and found that it has some big scratches. They are also not undercoated in the inside. So after getting a new bumper and coating it, it went fairly smoothly. I was initially concerned that the muffler system clamps may cause difficulty in removal but nothing that a bigger hammer can't cure. :smileup:

#14 ·
That sounds really good I don't know why the factory didn't do this from the start they put true duals on 3.6 Challenger already.

#17 ·
I am considering getting 3.6 pentastar on a new laramie 4x4 quad cab. Now, let me get this straight chrisze1 - you just took a factory Hemi 5.7 exhaust system and installed it on your 3.6 pentastar right? Then you took a factory bumper for a Hemi with the exhaust pipe cutouts and mounted that as well? And everything fit, looks good and sounds good - is that right?

#18 ·
That's correct! At first though I put the Sport muffler on, its louder and it caused drone at certain speeds so I found another muffler on Craiglist that was the standard Hemi muffler. The bumper I got was an aftermarket bumper but it was just fine. If you look I'll bet you can find the muffler and tail pipes on Craigslist with very few miles on it.

If I were to buy another Ram with the Pentastar, I would not hesitate to this this mod all over again. In my opinion the dual exhaust with the cutouts is a must.

#20 ·
It looks like the factory was going to offer a dual exhaust kit in 2009 here are the instructions for it. I've got to do this for my truck thanks for posting.

#25 · (Edited)
I just bought a takeoff dual exhaust and the extra insulator so I'm ready to do this mod. The are 2 hangers on the drivers side tailpipe do you just use the back hanger and not worry about the hanger in front of the spare tire?

There isn't a hanger on the frame in front of the spare tire like there is for the back hanger.

Parts needed....
As mentioned before a Rubber Insulator part # 52103718AB (that goes on the existing left side hanger already on the frame).

More Info about the hanger that I had a question on that is missing in front of the spare tire.

Left Side Hanger (it bolts to the cross member in front of the spare tire) part # 52122572AA
Bolt M8x1.25x35 bolt part #06104390AA (bolts the hanger to the frame cross member).
Rubber insulator part # 52103717AB (used for the hanger)

#26 · (Edited)
Tonight the oem Hemi exhaust got installed and it's a bolt on setup.
Also installed was the 2nd left side hanger that bolts on to the cross
member in front of the spare tire so looks like that the factory setup.

Even though I don't have the dual exhaust bumper the tips look
good sitting beneath the bumper and the system sounds great.:smileup:

#28 · (Edited)
Some Pics...
The person I bought the system from painted the tips Black I may swap for some chrome tips down the road.

#31 ·
I'm open to that idea but the only thing is the original owner cut and re welded the tips. He did a very good job welding but there are welds on the pipe. I measured the original tips from the dealers lot and these appear to be 1/2" longer than stock I've attached a pic to show you.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.