DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Diablo has tuners

19K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  2014moparam 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Everyone. I got it in the mail today and installed. I had to update it before anything, then connected it to the truck, it said the truck needed a (PCM?) update I believe, connected it to the computer and updated again, it backed up my original and did two stages of updates on the truck. overall it took 1.5 hours to get setup (mostly impatiently waiting). Now it is all updated, modifying should be much faster but still take 15 - 30 mins would be my guess. Even though it took a while (and the instructions are very basic), the steps were pretty straight forward.

There is three canned tunes - Mileage, 87 octane and Diablo (91 octane?). I loaded the mileage tune. I only drove it for 8 miles, but will be putting on about 100 miles tomorrow. Filled up and will fill up again after the run. See if I am seeing a mileage improvement. It feels different, not sure how so far though. Will probably load the 87 octane next. I am then taking a 3500 mile road trip starting Friday. I will pick between the tunes (depending what the next couple days show).

Here are the adjustable parameters:
http://diablosport.com/support/adjustable-parameters-explained.html

I don't believe anything that has to do with the transmission can be modified.

Any suggestions I am open to. Any questions, feel free to ask (but still learning/testing).

Are there any Diablo or tuner experts that want to work with one of the first 3.6 with a Diablo?

#7 ·
Ok so I put on 170 miles today. I was excited because the the mileage my truck was stating, It stated 21.5 MPG. I usually get between 19.5 and 20.5 (both actual and read out, yes they vary a little but overall that is where I was at).

I actually got 19.5 (hand calculated). So no change so far. Not completely scientific, but the best I have time to do right now. I was thinking of loading the 87 tune. Thoughts?

As far as performance. Little or no change on the MPG tune.

#8 ·
Ok so I loaded the 87 octane and took it for a quick spin. Does seem like it has better response. It actually sounds like the exhaust has a different sound. I will run this tomorrow and see. I have a 60 mile round trip to work, so I should know at least at a high level.

I am crossing my fingers that I will get a little more performance and little bit better MPG.

I will have to say, once you load the initial tune, after that takes just 5 - 10 minutes. So plan time on your initial load but after that, you could do it pretty easy after that.

#10 ·
Another update. I ran the 87 tune for about a 70 miles. Again got the false positive of the mileage reported by the truck. It said 21.4 and I actually got 19.6 (hand calculated). Keep in mind, the mileage by the computer is usually within .5 - 1 MPG off without tune. I reset to factory and will be running it tomorrow and see what I get. I was hoping to see some mileage difference and slight performance. Performance seemed slightly better, but not really sure it was or I was just trying to be optimistic.

I am unsure what I will end up running for my 3500 mile trip starting Friday. I have pinged Diablo Sport and hoping I will get an update from them on what I can change or do.

#11 ·
Are you working with a Trinity tuner.
I bought one for the 4.7 tunes.
So far after 7 hours of my time,and now the place i bought it from,has also put 2 days into trying to download the newest tune,and we still can't get it to take the newest tune.
Any tricks you discovered on downloading,would sure be appreciated.

At first i thought it was me,but the shop i bought it from,is having the same issues,so i gave up thinking it was me:i_rolleyes:.
The Speed Shop i bought it from has done a bunch of Diablo's tuners,and have a fair bit of computor experience,and they're getting fustrated with this damn thing too:smiledown:
Rick

#12 ·
Ok last update. I put on about 3400 miles that past week. From Wisconsin to Colorado.
Based on my quick runs around home for a week, the 87 octane tune seemed to do best, so that's what I started with.

I was trying to be very optimistic. I got 20.1 MPG on the first 577.3 miles (average between 65 - 75 mph). Performance wise, the really thing I really noticed was throttle response. Didn't notice any extra power though.

Now here is the bad. I put on 496.6 miles and was just pulling into a town to fill up before I headed into the real mountains. At this point in time I was just under 7000 ft above sea level. I came to a stop light. Light turned green. The truck chugged and barely would go. I almost didn't get out of the intersection. Turned off the truck, let it sit. Tried to start it. Took a few seconds to start and continued chugging. I then removed the tune and it was back to normal.

This is where I lost all belief in this "snake water". I am not going to get stranded in an intersection (both embarrassing and dangerous!). Also that can't be good for the engine.

One other thing I noticed is my oil change was at 25% remaining and I have about 1500 miles since the last change. So the tunes messed with that too.

After that I put about 3 more tanks and averaged 19.6 to 21.6 (best full tank yet). I did have an 18.6 but that was a partial tank doing a lot of 4x4 (including a mix of lock and low).

Already called Auto Anything. They are processing a return. They are having me pay shipping fees and a $20 restocking fee. Disagree with the restocking fee, because the product doesn't function, but live and learn I guess.

Summary: Don't buy unless you want to use for custom tunes (and potentially run into issues). If you are adventures, you could work with Diablo, but I am not willing to risk damaging my truck or reducing its reliability. I hope this is a helpful review.

Hornet - If you want to continue trying to get it to work. Update it on you computer first, and then it will ask you to update the PCM (I believe) for your specific truck. Outside of that, I would contact Diablo.

#13 ·
Ok last update. I put on about 3400 miles that past week. From Wisconsin to Colorado.
Based on my quick runs around home for a week, the 87 octane tune seemed to do best, so that's what I started with.

I was trying to be very optimistic. I got 20.1 MPG on the first 577.3 miles (average between 65 - 75 mph). Performance wise, the really thing I really noticed was throttle response. Didn't notice any extra power though.

Now here is the bad. I put on 496.6 miles and was just pulling into a town to fill up before I headed into the real mountains. At this point in time I was just under 7000 ft above sea level. I came to a stop light. Light turned green. The truck chugged and barely would go. I almost didn't get out of the intersection. Turned off the truck, let it sit. Tried to start it. Took a few seconds to start and econtinued chugging. I then removed the tune and it was back to normal.

This is where I lost all belief in this "snake water". I am not going to get stranded in an intersection (both embarrassing and dangerous!). Also that can't be good for the engine.

One other thing I noticed is my oil change was at 25% remaining and I have about 1500 miles since the last change. So the tunes messed with that too.

After that I put about 3 more tanks and averaged 19.6 to 21.6 (best full tank yet). I did have an 18.6 but that was a partial tank doing a lot of 4x4 (including a mix of lock and low).

Already called Auto Anything. They are processing a return. They are having me pay shipping fees and a $20 restocking fee. Disagree with the restocking fee, because the product doesn't function, but live and learn I guess.

Summary: Don't buy unless you want to use for custom tunes (and potentially run into issues). If you are adventures, you could work with Diablo, but I am not willing to risk damaging my truck or reducing its reliability. I hope this is a helpful review.

Hornet - If you want to continue trying to get it to work. Update it on you computer first, and then it will ask you to update the PCM (I believe) for your specific truck. Outside of that, I would contact Diablo.

Hey thanks a lot for your review, I really appreciate it! If I were to use a tuner I'd also hope to stay with 87 octane if possible, around here it seems they like to gouge you for an extra 20 to 30 cents per gallon extra just for 89 octane. So you tried it the way I would've hoped it work work. Sorry you had to go through the trouble though.

#14 ·
Man i've got nothing good to say about Diablo's Trinity.
It's been nothing but a nightmare on my 4.7.
Took several phone calls and at least a dozen attempts to get it installed,before we finally had it installed.
Then the damn thing wouldn't shut down,kept turning my dash lights on and off every 30 seconds.
After un-installing and re-installing it once again,it's been working kinda okay,but i sure as hell don't trust it,kinda expecting to find a dead battery some morning.
My milege also took a big hit on the 93 tune.
Power is up slightly,but gas milege is down by over 10%.
If i hadn't bought mine through a local speed shop,who are good friends,Diablo would be eating mine too,but i'm not gonna stick a friend with it,especially after all the time and work they put into mine getting it finally installed for me,as i'd given up trying to get mine to work on my 2013 4.7.
I sure ain't reconmending Diablo these days.
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.