DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 V6 Cold start issues

12K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  mechtech 
#1 ·
Third time here in Northeastern Pa weather has dropped below 20 F. Remote start failed twice and locks out. Bundle up head out, when using key starts like an old 318 carb with manual choke, spits, spurts, cranks, starts and runs like Crap for 20 seconds or so. Benn to deal once already was told 'firmware update " well guess that was wrong. Between this and radio going blank ( been back 3 times for that ) "vehicle phone needs service " ( 3 times for that ) and clock loosing 30 seconds every 24 hours I'm getting a bit aggravated. Spent good money for remote start that’s only good above 20 F ?? why bother... Sorry venting a bit... So anyone else having cold start issues on new V6 ??

Thanks
Kps

#4 ·
I am also from nw pa! I don't have a remote start on my new truck, but my last one did. Was an 06 w/ the 4.7 and it was pretty cranky below 20 degrees. The remote start was often useless on that truck. Dealer once suggested I start parking in a heated garage if I cant deal with the weather! Needless to say I am no longer a customer of theirs, and probably not welcome in their service dept anymore. Wish you luck...

#5 ·
Last week there was two ocassions where the truck had a rough start. The first time out of habit I just gave a quick turn of the key and let go (always catches so quick) and it didn't catch...when I turned the key again it seemed to turn over quite a bit before catching and then it idled very rough for a bit.

The second time I started it and it started up quickly but ran rough for the 1st min or so again...

It hasn't been consistant on starting rough so for the moment I'm not terribly worried.

#6 ·
I have the 3.6 with remote start. It was down to 0 degrees F and it started just fine. It has been below 20 degrees most mornings in the past few days and no problem at all. I have seen a similar issue with bad gas (summer blend/water in gas). Maybe check on the next tank (and/or try a different gas station).

#7 ·
Thanks for input

I run Sunoco gas 98 % of the time, injector cleaner every other tank and same with gas line anti freeze So I would not suspect water or bad gas. We will see what they have to say this Friday. I got remote start due to bad knees and saving a walk down and up 15 steps in cold mornings. Funny that I owned Dodge trucks from 1972 to 1986. Went to Honda since I no longer needed truck. 5 vehicle's one issue fixed 1st time. So I go back to AMERICAN buy truck since I now have need. Been back to dealer 3 times for clunk in drivers side front, 3 times for radio system that keeps locking up and or going blank. Clock looses 30 seconds every day and now again second time for cold start issues. Love the look, love the mileage, love the power out of the V6 but dam these on going issues... Well hope after Friday its fixed for final time... Will let you guys know.
again thanks

kps

#8 ·
Same issue.

I have a 2013 Ram V6 4x4 and I have the same issue. When its below freezing outside the truck starts and runs very rough for about 15 seconds then does fine. I am taking mine to the dealer this Friday. I would like to know if you figure out what this is. Its frustrating having a new truck with problems. I love the truck and it gets great gas mileage(21 average).

#9 ·
Had no issues starting on the remote with the pentastar yet. It has not been plugged in yet, We even had a -26 degree morning last weekend.
My 09 hemi barely started, almost time for a battery in it, and had stolen the cord to plug in the tractor. :LOL:

#10 ·
Anyone have any issues lately with cold weather snap?

#11 ·
Cold start Issues

Opdate:
sorry for delay had truck back to dealer for cold start issue and radio and noise in front end.

They claim they found nothing wrong on cold start, or why radio keeps stopping, blacking out locking up, or what the clunk is even though they hear it.

So I get in truck, touch screen is laid out differently, now has touch control for mirror dimming and no more lock up. No cold start issues even at 12 deg F and clunk is gone. I can understand the clunk due to cold weather, but change software and say nothing was found wrong. Go figure.

So all in all radio has not given me any issues in three weeks, no cold start issues and no clunk, so Im happy with those issues being resolved one way or another. ( btw same gas same gas station and no injector cleaner added )

Soon another thread on the make believe electronic posi rear what a joke

#12 ·
I am having the same issue...The kicker here is I have had much colder days and had no issue starting it -15 Celsius but started having this issue on Friday which was much warmer. Taking it into the dealer tomorrow, I have had the new system flash months ago.

Lets see what they say.

#13 ·
So I got an update for all of you that are experiencing this similar issue. I got my truck back yesterday and low and behold they actually seemed to fix the problem by sorry if I am wrong put they had an update PCN or PCM flash that they were able to find on there service database.

The f%#*ing truck actually started today without this issue and its -26 celsius today so I was impressed

#14 · (Edited)
I started having the same starting problem last Friday. I just filled up the gas tank on Thursday so I thought it might be bad fuel. Vehicle won't start with remote then message appears stating remote start has been disable. Then when I attempt to start with key, it has to crank for about 10 seconds, followed by sputtering for another 10 seconds. Really frustrated to have this issue with a new truck. Does anyone know what the issue is or if there is a bulletin? I'm just dreading taking this thing to the dealer to hear them that they can't find anything wrong.

Also, I just had my radio replaced after getting the blue screen of death.

#15 ·
Update: Just got my truck back from the dealer. Service rep said there was a lot of ethanol in the fuel and recommended switching to 87 gasoline in cold weather. I replied that I've never ran E85 in the truck. They also updated PCM to newest software under TSB 18-035-13 and now truck starts great with the same fuel.

My thought is there may be an issue with ethanol-blend gasoline in cold weather with the older PCM software.

#16 ·
2013 V6 4x4 here with same problem but it's only occurred once.

I figured it was just water in the fuel. I started the vehicle normally in the morning (~10 deg F) and drove to work - I live fairly close to work so it never reaches full operating temp. After being parked all day (temp went to nearly 35 deg F) I left work and barely got it started... it cranked fine but idled very rough (like only 3 or 4 cylinders were on) and after 20 or so seconds it ran normally. I drove off with it operating normally - no messages in the message center either. Weird.

I drove right to the dealer since I pass it on the way home, and looked like a fool explaining how it would crank but not start. It, naturally, started right up without an issue when the service writer came out. After reading this thread, I'll suggest they look to see if it is in need of a firmware update if it happens again.

LOL on the 318 starting issues. My dad had a new Dodge Warlock in the mid 70's that vapor locked at all temps over 70 deg F but I think it had a 360. Then he had late two more no-starting-for-you's: a '79 318 Ramcharger and a '78 318 Plymouth Fury. I thought rough starting was a feature of all Dodge/Plymouths.

#17 ·
Just got the pcm flash for mine today. We will see if it helps. I guess there was a note on the TSB stating that the computer was reading the outside temperature incorrectly, thus not providing the correct fuel air mix at certain temperatures. Hope this fixes mine. Time will tell. Same issues as you guys, remote start not starting truck, long crank with key, rough idle after it fires up, no codes. Very intermittent. My dealer believed me about the issue and didn't try to reproduce it. He looked through the updates/tsbs right away and did the flash and never wanted to see the video I got of it doing this. Now to get the loud start up whine fixed. Also intermittent, only about once a week on a cold start up under 32 degrees f. They want me to leave the truck there for as long as it takes till they reproduce the whine.

#18 ·
There is a reflash for the Hemi.If you plugged in the block heater during the cold weather and started the truck with the remote,it would trigger a check engine code and disable the remote start.If you didn't plug the block heater in,no problem.It had something to do with the warm coolant triggering an engine misfire code.The reflash delays the sensors enough to cure the misfire code.The reflash cured the problem on my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.