DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2014 Ram 3.6L air intake

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  quesnelram 
#1 ·
I bought my ram back in July of this year and I wanted to break it in and now I have just did my first synthetic oil change and I'm now approaching 7,000 miles and I was shopping for an air intake system and went to mopar and K&N but they only have air filters listed for my v6 Ram and no cold air intake kits so my question to the ram forum: Does anyone know who manufactures cold air intake system for the 3.6L ? They have them for all the v8s and Diesel engines but not the six cylinder some one please point me in the rt direction

#3 ·
thats because the stock system is pretty good and the the v6 is not a performance vehicle. about the only things you can do to improve it is put in a high flow filter and insulate the whole system with reflectix to keep the air cooler as it is drawn in to the motor. It draws cold air from the wheel well cavity.

cold air intake slightly increases torque by lowering the resistance to drawing in air and providing cooler and denser air that can be mixed with more fuel to provide a slightly bigger bang which you experience as improved torque. on the v-6, I think the above recommendation will net you about .5mpg on the highway and 65-68mph.

#7 ·
If 1/4 mile times are important to you then I would think these cold air intakes would be an improvement providing you are getting plenty of clean air under the hood. The problems start when, like a lot of us do, we are workin our trucks hard... like on a hot summer day pullin a trailer in stop and go traffic or steep hills. Underhood temps begin to soar and some of these aftermarket intakes pull in the hot air from under the hood, especially the ones with the metal pipes due to heat transfer. When that happens cylinder temps go up which causes pinging (detonation). The knock sensors pick up on this and retard the timing to cool things down and you lose power. I prefer to keep mine stock and get air out of the wheelwell like mentioned in a previous post. Just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
I just installed the Airaid on my 2014 express v6. Intake box and filter are larger than stock. Looks good under the hood, adds a bit more deep sound at certain RPMs, but don't notice any difference in power. I did notice about 1-2 mpg increase in city driving, but it could be the combination of the Airaid and my OEM dual exhaust. Have not had it out on the hwy for a long trip yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.