DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Pentastar V-6 Oil Catch Can

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 · (Edited)
I order the Billet Technology oil catch can and installed it on my 2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 with the Pentastar V-6 engine.

The install was not hard but did take a while to figure out a place to mount the catch can. I ended up mounting it in the left rear corner of the engine bay next to the battery.

It is easy to reach and easy to remove the bottom of the can to drain any oil that it catches.

I attached four photos showing the install.

I did have to go to Home Depot and buy two 1/2 inch barbed brass fittings as the catch can comes with two 1/2 inch to 5/8 brass fittings and 5/8 inch is to large.

I used a license plate security bolt to bolt the angle bracket I had to make to the truck. That required me to drill one 1/4 inch hole for the bolt.

Over all this took me about 30 minutes to install.

I ordered the one for the Challenger with the Pentastar V-6.

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Bushmaster
#2 ·
Looks nice, keep us informed, wondering how much oil it will catch.

:rep:

#4 · (Edited)
Thank guys, the hardest part really was trying to find a place to mount the can but that left rear corner seems to be a good spot as it is close to the PCV hose and the can is reachable yet out of the way.

The PCV hose is hard plastic so pushing the barbed fittings into it took some time. I used just a small amount of lube on the barbed fitting to aid in slipping them into the hard plastic PCV hose. I could only get the fitting just over half way into the plastic PCV hose that was still attached to the back of the engine. But I figured I would just go for a short ride to get the engine up to operating temp and when I got back was able to push the barbed fitting all the way into the back half of the hose due to the plastic PCV hose being warm and pliable now.

The front part of the PCV hose that attached to the air intake housing was a chore to install the barbed fitting as well but that one you have off the truck so you can push the plastic PCV hose onto the barbed fitting. It just takes a little patience and about five minutes for that one.

One thing that shocked me was when I removed intake cover there was a dried substance on the inside of the front of the throttle body on the bottom that looked like some kind of dried up lube that may be used during assembly to get the rubber intake hose to slide onto the throttle body. I cleaned that off the throttle body but was really surprised to find that substance there. It did not appear any made its way into the engine.

I did not find any oil in the mouth of the throttle body like the one member who installed a catch can on his Pentastar V-6. I have just over 1,900 miles on mine so I will monitor the can and report back what the results are. I don't drive this truck much so it may take me longer than most to get enough miles on the truck with the can installed to see how it performs.

#7 ·
One thing that shocked me was when I removed intake cover there was a dried substance on the inside of the front of the throttle body on the bottom that looked like some kind of dried up lube that may be used during assembly to get the rubber intake hose to slide onto the throttle body. I cleaned that off the throttle body but was really surprised to find that substance there. It did not appear any made its way into the engine.

Not sure what you saw/removed, but,,,, Some manufacturers do place a lubricant where the plate meets the bore. You are not supposed to remove it.

Yep,,, been there, done that, removed it before myself,,, :LOL:

#5 ·
Just an update on the oil catch can, so far in 370 miles there is no oil in the catch can. I know some have found oil and others have not. So far I have none. But I have not put much mileage on it yet so I will continue to watch this and report the findings.

#9 ·
Any feedback on how much oil you are catching?
I have a BT on my 5.7 and it does collect oil,,,
Some OEM PCV systems are better than others. The Pentastar may eventually end up with Direct Injection,,,, Ya really don't want any oil in the intake of a DI engine as it can coke up on the valves,,, cutting performance/fuel economy,,, (Port injection FI doesn't have this problem)

Also heard that there is a new 'valve cover' on the way for the Pentastar that is about 10mm shorter than the current one,,, Supposed to help 'fitment' of the Pentastar in small vehicles,,,

Anywho,,, I'm wondering if the Penta's PCV system is naturally ~pretty clean~ or if it's an oil spitter,,,

Any news?

#10 ·
Necro-post, but I didn't want to start my own thread. Has anyone tried the UPR catch can? I wanted to get another BT for the Durango like I have for my Ram, but they don't have a Durango kit and I don't want to piece together a can and bracket and hope the hoses and everything fit together.

http://www.speedlogixstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=UPR-CC-JEEP

There's really not any good Durango forums that I've run across yet so I'm posting this here because our community is active.

#13 ·
Well I got the UPR and installed it, and if I were to do it over again I would absolutely get the Billet Tech can instead.

The UPR is not as well machined as the BT on my Hemi. There is some galling to the threads on it and a couple leftover aluminum slivers in one of the holes. Additionally the UPR does not come assembled, you must add the elbow fittings to the can yourself. I ordered it without the drain in the bottom-it still came with the hole in the bottom, but a screw in plug rather than a valve. I suppose I could add a valve later if I wanted to. I did use thread sealant when installing the fittings; the bt can has teflon tape on the threads.

The UPR can seems to have a marginally greater area inside the can but due to the differing length inlet and outlet screens I am not sure if that translates to greater capacity. Much of the UPR insert is plastic compared to the all metal BT internals, I suppose they will hold up without deforming or melting. The UPR is mounted to the TIPM heat sink bracket instead of being screwed into the engine block like the BT is, but note that this is because that is where CCs mount on the Durango, including the BT can. It seems that this will keep the CC on the Durango from getting as hot, but again we will have to see if that holds true or not, or if the difference is noticeable. I will empty it this week and see what/how much is in the can

#14 ·
Alright, got the Billet tech catch can in the mail today and installed it. Took about a month and a half from order to arrival because I got the red anodize. Much better:

ETA: this is what the UPR looked like:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.